Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjamesohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

I need some help finding a reground or new stock cam...
I've been building my 2L Type 4 and just getting ready to seal up the case after I bought a billet Webcam cam. Already test fit it, everything was great, just awaiting their special lifters which they insist have to be installed with the billet cam. I ordered the lifters last week.

I called Webcam to see where the special lifters I ordered were. They don't know when or if they'll have any more, and 'their supplier' is not returning their calls even though they have 25 sets on order.

I can't use my old cam - it's got wear but MAY be rebuildable. Problem is - turnaround on THAT would be a month and that would put me at the end of July before I can get the van back together.

So - I'm in the hunt for a good cam to finish this build. I'd prefer a new cam, but definitely one that is better than what I have. I really don't want to put the motor together in a less than optimal fashion but I'm out of options other than having my cam sent out to be reground, and then there is the question as to whether my old cam is even a good core....

I have an event next weekend that I was supposed to drive the van to; to say this is disappointing is an understatement but as they say "$hit happens".

Thanks for any leads ladies and gentleman; my text is 937-271-5697
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Aircooled.net or the Type 4 Store would be two places to check.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Talk to CB Performance. Their "stock" grind cam works well. Don't be afraid to tighten up your deck height either. As I'm sure you know, always check your camshaft journals, lobes, thrust surfaces and timing. Always.. Even web cams and especially reground.

J
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Maybe Roy at Mofoco has one on the shelf ready to go. Just a thought.

https://www.mofoco.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Rocky Jennings... wish I would have known about him back when I was playing with TIV motors. Back then it was A Rabid Raby cult or nothing...
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

rjamesohio wrote:
I can't use my old cam - it's got wear but MAY be rebuildable. Problem is - turnaround on THAT would be a month and that would put me at the end of July before I can get the van back together

why is this a problem?
if it's so "important" for your van to be at an event, put it on a trailer and tow it there.
rjamesohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help sourcing a new or rebuilt cam for air-cooled Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I checked all the sources listed here...

CB Performance will build you a brand new cam on a special order basis. Good option.

I was just getting ready to return the Webcam camshaft and they called and said my lifters were on the way! So - happy with their followup...

Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: