Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding door seal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: sliding door seal Reply with quote

I decided to install the new sliding door seal I purchased over a year ago and the seal appears to be too long on one side. Anybody encounter this before? I am thinking the manufacturer screwed up and it's a seal for the type 4 eurovan which has a curve on the rear which would require a longer piece, it's a good 12 to 15 inches too long.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

Also if I cut it to fit I was thinking to do so right at the corner jut where it starts to go vertical. Seems kind of stupid to make a contiguous/continuous seal that has to be split to install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

i would cut it at a diagonal somewhere, then glue the ends together with this stuff
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069430/

definitely seems like the wrong seal or manufacturer issue, but if it fits everywhere else - and has the right little flap bit at the front - i dont see anything wrong with just trimming it and carrying on.

i had to use that 3m stuff to get the front door and slider seals to stay in their spots, and was really pleased with how sturdy it gets once dry.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

If it fits otherwise I agree, cut it, glue it, move on.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

are you sure it's in right? it should have a rubber flap on the front edge where the striker is

i used the same seal. fit perfect

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
are you sure it's in right? it should have a rubber flap on the front edge where the striker is

i used the same seal. fit perfect

Yep, the flap was located at the front and the 90 degree corners can only be installed in the corners. The bag it came in was sealed. I cut it just above the corner piece and used some foam sheet rolled up and inserted into the seal void to hold the two pieces together. Just a heads up to anyone else that purchases the Vewib brand that it may or may not be too long. I would bet it was meant for a T4 Eurovan though as it was exactly 18" too long on that side and the T4 has a dog leg on Back side. The front side was perfect fit. I am going to look up my reciept and notify the vendor.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

wow, that's odd. like i said mine fit no problem. getting that evil poopy glue shit VW loves to use off was a different story. i've actually had really good luck with vewib stuff

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

(Thread revival)

I'm in the process of refreshing the sliding door of our '90 Syncro Westy with quiet rollers, sound deadening, etc, and I also bought a new body seal.

My question is about the seal, it's a ClassicLine seal from Denmark (forget which vender I bought it from) and seems to be well formed of quality rubber.
The original seal from VW has several holes spaced around the perimeter which appear to be there to allow air to escape from inside the seal when compressed.
The new seal doesn't have any of these holes.

I'm wondering if others who have replaced their sliding door seals have noticed whether their new seal had these holes and how necessary they are?
It's kinda a goofy question, but I'm curious if it really makes a difference in how the door closes.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

So I got the one from gowesty and it has the holes btw.
Thought it was a bit long (maybe 6”) but just was more careful when installing to not stretch it and it fit perfectly.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

I got the seal from ClassicLine installed and ended up very carefully adding some holes. ( used a drill to make holes in the same locations as the original seal; didn't want to use a hole punch which pokes holes through both sides of the seal and would allow water into the seal.)
It does seem to make a difference in how easily the door closes. I did have to spend a bunch of effort adjusting the door because I rebuilt the hinge and replaced all the bearings with the quiet roller set.

Overall the ClassicLine seal fits perfectly, but would be nice if they included the holes. The quiet rollers are great but there's still the clunk when closing the door; no way around that, it's just the design.

On installing the seal; I started by locating the four corners and then infilling the seal between each. Didn't use any contact cement at first, just got the seal correctly installed.
Then went back and pull out each corner separately and glued, and then finished by pulling out the middle sections and glued.
This way I wasn't fumbling with a long seal and getting contact cement all over everything.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

MsTaboo, thanks for the feedback.

Would you say the silent rollers are worth it?
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

Well, ya didn't ask me, but, I've had them installed for a few yrs, and I LOVE the silent rollers.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
MsTaboo, thanks for the feedback.
Would you say the silent rollers are worth it?

You're welcome.
Yes I would say the rollers are worth the effort and expense. Just don't expect the door to be completely silent. The rollers quiet the slide, but the clunk is still there.
Getting the door adjusted just right also helps, you want the door to seat tight enough to seal out water and wind, but if it's over-tight then the noise of the catch is louder.

I added some pics of the rollers to this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10017257#10017257

Last edited by MsTaboo on Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

I put some of that special tape on y mechanisms a while back. UHWM maybe? It worked for a bit. Now it’s all wrinkled and alas, my door sounds like a 747 again.

I will take quiet roll and a thud any day over what I have going on now!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal Reply with quote

Adding this to the project list then! I already had "Put Fatmax on the sliding door", I figure that big piece of sheet metal must vibrate and resonate like crazy during opening and closing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: