Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

Hey all,
For someone who has lots of VWs, are the starting circuits on Vanagons effectively the same as classic aircooled bugs/buses/ghias...?

I'm hoping to open up selling www.thevantracker.com to other models and want to verify with someone that the starting circuits are all similarly simple. I know people put hard start relays in bugs and I can't think of any reason these circuits would be any different.

Thanks-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

As the owner of two Buses and a Thing, I'm interested in this!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

I believe it's basically the same between the switch and starter.

Maybe this will help: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/IgnitionSystem.html ?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

youre looking for an electrical comparison, key to starter, yeah?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
youre looking for an electrical comparison, key to starter, yeah?

kamzcab86 wrote:
I believe it's basically the same between the switch and starter.

Maybe this will help: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/IgnitionSystem.html ?

Yes and that's pretty much what I thought. Thank you both. RatWell was a good thought. I found "The VW starting circuit (WW)" on his technical page which lead to
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_03_01/wired_03_01.htm
which I'd seen long ago. And yeah, it's just as simple as one could imagine: battery -> starter switch -> starter solenoid.

I have to imagine it's the same basic circuit on most or all classic aircoolers...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

First was hand cranks. Next pedal operated starter switch. Then Bendix with fender mounted. Then VW's configuration for several decades, ignition starter (circuit 50) switch straight to the starter.
Lastly is modern requirements. Engine must not be running, must be in neutral, alarm disengaged, remote starting, remote kill, matching highly encripted security serial numbers, ad-infinitum.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
First was hand cranks. Next pedal operated starter switch. Then Bendix with fender mounted. Then VW's configuration for several decades, ignition starter (circuit 50) switch straight to the starter.
Lastly is modern requirements. Engine must not be running, must be in neutral, alarm disengaged, remote starting, remote kill, matching highly encripted security serial numbers, ad-infinitum.

Some day I imagine I'll have to buy a new car, and I don't relish the thought. Something I find personally offensive is the stupid touchscreen everything instead of having knobs, specifically for volume and a/c. You want to change the music volume or fan speed, you have to take your eyes off the road. It is unbelievable to me that we've apparently collectively decided to make that huge step backwards in safety.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

On my daughters giant SUV, she just talks to the car and tells it what she wants it to do…… it than does it!
Kinda scary actually…….
I the world of modern cars, the KISS theory is dead.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

Sounds interesting...I don't know a lot about what it requires though..do I need a cell phone account for my vehicle ? Do I need one of those special cell phone antennas that cost $200-$400 on my vehicle ?
I think I have both a relay and a gear reduction starter.

If my wifi is down I can't get solid web connection on my Verizon phone and I can't hook up with wifi out in the garage. I've told Verizon a few times they need to pay kickbacks to Comcast cause without wifi their network is almost worthless. This is just 20 minutes out of high tech Seattle downtown core. I can't hook up even driving through ultra wealthy gated communities reliably.

Quote:
Something I find personally offensive is the stupid touchscreen everything instead of having knobs,

This would be adding a cell phone screen to my 1985 vehicle, sort of the thin end of the wedge of touch screen intrusion ehh ?

I've seen cell phone screen instrumentation with subi swaps too and of course Bluetooth with stereo...even Bluetooth only sort of works...music changes tone balance, shuts off or gets fouled with a welder running or can't figure out which Bluetooth speaker setup to play through.

I'm still sort of interested. But so often all these things seem to be a house of cards that easily and regularly fail enough that I stop bothering to use them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bug/Bus/Ghia/Vanagon starting circuit comparison Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
In the world of modern cars, the KISS theory is dead. Dave

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: