Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine making weird screeching noise
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Hello all!
So, I've installed a new engine in my bus (Old engine blew up, rod bearing spun, cheap rebuild, long story!) and it's making a very weird noise, almost like a screech. I've uploaded a small snip to Youtube and I'll link it here (Please ignore the high revving at idle, I'm not quite sure why it's doing that but I think I just need to fine tune the timing, mixture, fuel pressure, and all that)

https://youtu.be/5hvk7gslyCE

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Link

Alternator whine? Does it make the same noise with the alternator belt off?
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Try running it with the alternator disconnected.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Link

Alternator whine? Does it make the same noise with the alternator belt off?
\

It could be, but I've noticed, as I've failed to dial in a proper idle, if the engine lowers in rpm and then dies, the sound goes away. So, it's very noticeable at high RPM. Dunno if that singles out alternator or not

I've noticed though the sound seems to come from the left of the engine. When I leaned over the engine lid opening while it was making that sound, I swear it was coming from the left side (It could very well be an echo, but just thought I should mention it)

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

I watched it four times. That sounds like an alternator. And...you have way too much belt motion going on. Check belt tension. Also check sheet metal around alternator and fan for contact to moving parts.

Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

I had an engine once make a noise like that. Turned out to be a dry cam lobe riding on the points block in the distributor. Just a touch of grease on the distributor cam solved it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I watched it four times. That sounds like an alternator. And...you have way too much belt motion going on. Check belt tension. Also check sheet metal around alternator and fan for contact to moving parts.

Ray

I just noticed that, your belt is loose as a goose. You may just be hearing the belt slipping on the alternator pulley.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

I took the pulley belt off and the sound didn't go away

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I had an engine once make a noise like that. Turned out to be a dry cam lobe riding on the points block in the distributor. Just a touch of grease on the distributor cam solved it

Do you mean the square cam that actuates the points inside the cap?

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
I took the pulley belt off and the sound didn't go away

Good diagnostics.....continue on......check very carefully for sheet metal movement and vibration.

Also.....from looking at your video.....you have an exhaust leak that appears to drive an occasional misfire. Everytime this misfire manifests itself.....you can see the belt nump slightly in the video.

Watch for it.....calibrate your eyes and ears together...faint tap or pop and belt appears to almost stop for a thousandth of a second and then wobbles.

This sound you are hearing.....you describe as a "screech".....i don't hear as a screech at all. To me......its more similar to the metallic popping sound you hear from the peashooter exhausts from a beetle engine.

Going off memory.....I have had this sound on my type 4 engines.... from a leaking muffler to heat exchanger gasket.....and from an internal crack in the paired exhaust pipe just inside of the muffler body.....heat erosion, vibration and age caused that. I could not find it witjout taking the muffler loose and visyally inspecting.

But ai was able to find the leaking HE to muffler gasket by putting soapy,water on it,when cold and then starting the engine to see it foam.

I also at one point had a softer version of this sound....at least in my memory.... created by a leaking tailpipe to muffler gasket......and.....from a bent or loose pushrod retainer wire working against a pushrod

It very well could be a points cam issue as mentioned......but that sound created by the points cam....to me....IS a screech.

Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

There is a spacer washer that goes behind the engine cooling fan, pull the fan and make sure it is there.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Yes, there needs to be a very slight film of grease on the part of the cam that hits the point rub block
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
P24p1 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Yes, there needs to be a very slight film of grease on the part of the cam that hits the point rub block

There are special distributor cam greases sold for this purpose but any grease is better than none. Your contact point life will be very short if grease isn't used verses 20K miles or so if it is used. I usually re-smear the grease at about 10K miles and replace it at 20K miles when I pull the points and file them back flat and then run them for another 20K. I am presently running Echlin ventilated points from NAPA which give me excellent service, best not to run Bosch as their quality has gone to crap and can leave you stranded. If you live in a really dusty place regreasing the distributor cam at shorter intervals may be called for.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

I was about 18. I had washed the distributor clean with gasoline and ran it without any lube at all. Created a screech
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Tried the grease, didn't work Confused

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

it will be more obvious what it is when the engine turns lower than 2,400rpm.
But the big fan washer check is the first place to check, as mentioned above...
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Just jumping in to say look for something under the fan pulley; a 10 mm socket, a bolt, even an acorn can make this noise rubbing on the pulley and they are hard to see in there unless you know there's a gap.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Well, it seems like removing the fan is the first point of business. I will do that and report back

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Alrighty, fixed!

Not only fixed, but double fixed! Turns out the sound you can hear is just a massive vacuum leak! I replaced the gaskets on the intake manifolds just to see what would happen and now the engine idles nicely and the sound is gone.

Hopefully this can help someone in future

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine making weird screeching noise Reply with quote

Nice!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: