Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

My youngedt boy learned to drive manual on our Benz 190e 2.6 5 speed. He had a hard time at first, so we went out in the bus where you can see wtf your feet have to do. A few miles later we were back in the Benz, and he never looked back. He and his older brother beat the snot outta that thing, it was the the best $700 I ever spent
Fast forward to his frat boy days in college, and he was the only one who could borrow the Saudi prince's vert mustang, all because he knew how to drive stick.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

We have a low mileage VW EOS with DSG. I like the direct shift gearbox
except often after backing up and then going forward---especially going forward uphill-----it goes "lurchy-lurchy-lurchy". Makes me feel like a 15 year-old just learning to drive a stick. Embarassed
Fixing it will probably cost more than I paid for the silly car.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

In 2004, I bought a 1998 Nissan Frontier single cab 4-cylinder, 5-speed with 100K on it for the kids to drive, and to learn stick shift.

They said even the boys at the high school didn't know how to drive stick !

After college, they returned the frontier to me, now has 257K miles.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I drive a 1987 Toyota pickup, with a 22r and 5 speed. Might be one of the easiest manual trans vehicles on which to learn. She wants to drive it, too. But I figured a VW clutch is much cheaper and easier to replace than the one in my truck, so that's where we started. Once she has it down in the Beetle and Toyota, she MIGHT get to drive my 68 single cab. That is her singular motivation for learning all of this stuff.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Where the hell is reverse?
VW Passat all the way to the right, don't push down, just pull back.
VW New Beetle all the way to the left, push down, push forward.
VW Beetle all the way to the left, push down, pull back.
VW CC, with DSG. no reverse?, shut car off, turn car back on, try for reverse again.
VW Atlas. Damned Dog keeps stepping on the Stop/Start Button, and shutting off the car!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Here is a related story that explains, from a woman's point of view (namely, that of the author Logan Mahan), why "it’s so damn hot when a man knows how to drive a stick shift."
https://www.insidehook.com/article/sex-and-dating/hot-men-drive-stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I got so depressed when I read that EV sales passed manual transmission sales….I went for a spin the the 5 speed stick NB in the twisty parts….

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

That’s definitely an after photo because everything looks good no visible depression. https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/06/Horse-Dung-Big-Shift/
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
Here is a related story that explains, from a woman's point of view (namely, that of the author Logan Mahan), why "it’s so damn hot when a man knows how to drive a stick shift."
https://www.insidehook.com/article/sex-and-dating/hot-men-drive-stick

I get it, but few things make a woman seem hotter than the ability to drive a stick, too. No helpless princesses for me!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Good:

Better:

Best:

And actually, this is probably enough... no hints at all!:

And for the pièce de ré·sis·tance!:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

That 4th to 5th gear change ain't gonna be fast Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
That’s definitely an after photo because everything looks good no visible depression. https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/06/Horse-Dung-Big-Shift/

Definitely after, had the Husky with me, too.

I have to say the NB is impressively tight and not shaky for a vert. Two of girls took it to college but I got it back when the last two left. I put them both in Volvos for safety.

Now it’s an expression of my masculinity, since my house is finally testosterone and estrogen balanced for the first time since 1990
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Definitely after, had the Husky with me, too.

I have to say the NB is impressively tight and not shaky for a vert. Two of girls took it to college but I got it back when the last two left. I put them both in Volvos for safety.

Now it’s an expression of my masculinity, since my house is finally testosterone and estrogen balanced for the first time since 1990

I've got over 100,000 miles on mine, rear window came unglued from the convertible top a few years ago.
Top replacement was expensive, but worth it, and the only repair made to the car, other than Maintenace items.
I bought the NBC new in June of 2005.

Last edited by ach60 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

An unnamed family member of mine managed to break a half shaft on my Porsche 356C transmission. Apparently one of the few VW parts carried over to the car. Also, apparently a very difficult part to break, but oh well. This was almost 10 years ago and even then it was $6000+ to fix. Said member never did learn to drive a stick. Sad
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

The upside to this is a thief not knowing how to drive your car.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Apparently one of the few VW parts carried over to the car. it was $6000+ to fix. (

So if it was a VW part why did you pay the "P" price for it Question (asking for a friend)
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Apparently one of the few VW parts carried over to the car. it was $6000+ to fix. (

So if it was a VW part why did you pay the "P" price for it Question (asking for a friend)

There are no VW parts in a Porsche, just ask any Porsche Dealer Very Happy Very Happy
Seriously learning to drive a stick on someone else's Porsche does not sound like a good idea.
And breaking a Porsche transmission would likely kill any idea of learning a stick for the person that broke it.
A friend of mine, but 20 years older than me has 2 Porsche 356's, he let me drive his Speedster once.
I was far too conservative in driving it, which frustrated him, but there was no way I was going to hammer on someone else's 35 year old, $75,000(?) car.
Yes, this was a while ago.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

One of my brokers (Shearson Lehman Bros) left for a month in France back in the late 80's and let me drive his 928 while he was gone - manual transmission and the most fun I've had since my bus was my daily driver at that time. Very Happy

Interesting the difference in how people let you merge onto the freeway though, in the bus they grudgingly let me merge, in the Porsche they closed the gap and cut me off every time Rolling Eyes , so I'd just romp on it and make my own space - wootyhoo.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
An unnamed family member of mine managed to break a half shaft on my Porsche 356C transmission. Apparently one of the few VW parts carried over to the car. Also, apparently a very difficult part to break, but oh well. This was almost 10 years ago and even then it was $6000+ to fix. Said member never did learn to drive a stick. Sad

356Cs have half shafts (CV joints)? I learned something new today.
I thought they had axles like a Bug/Bus/earlier Porsche/etc.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

356Cs have half shafts (CV joints)? I learned something new today.
I thought they had axles like a Bug/Bus/earlier Porsche/etc.

Maybe he meant Countershaft?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: