Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Received my NorthWesty awning brackets from UPS today. Got to work straight away on getting the awning installed. As I suspected, the bolt pattern/hole size that the brackets came pre drilled with was not a direct match up to the NAPA brand awning. Luckily, it was pretty simple to modify the brackets to make them work. All I had to do was enlarge the two top holes to 5/16". Then I also enlarged a spot of the lower long, slotted section to also accept a 5/16" bolt. A trip to my local hardware store, and I got 6, 5/16" bolts that are 5/16" long, as well as washers and locking nuts. Each bracket then got 3 of the nuts/bolt combo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once mounted, it is very sturdy. The only thing I noticed is that the single main gutter clamp mounting nut is not sitting flush across the whole face of the nut. The bolt/nut combo does not seem to mate perfectly at a 90* angle in order to do so. So only the lower "6 o clock" potion of the nut is in contact with the bracket surface. I tried loosening it and wiggling and repositioning the bracket to try and correct this, but to no avail. The clamps are still plenty snug, and with the use of the lock nut I don't fear them coming loose.

I have not yet reached out to NorthWesty about this, but I likely will next week. Curious to know if anyone else has had this issue with the NorthWesty brackets? Their website claims that these brackets should work on all styles of rain gutters.

Thanks for posting. Does your slider rub?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

VanAllen_84 wrote:
I currently have a TRANS-2000 awning. Anyone know if I could get away with using the current gutter mounts for this awning?

And how easy is it to setup?

Kind of? I used my modified transawn brackets. I didn’t install the new awning high enough on the transawn brackets so the new awning bag drags a little on the sliding door.

Either way You will need to drill holes in both parts.

Use three brackets if you have them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanAllen_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Quote:
Kind of? I used my modified transawn brackets. I didn’t install the new awning high enough on the transawn brackets so the new awning bag drags a little on the sliding door.

Unfortunately, I only have two brackets with my current setup. Can you post some pics of your setup and measurements of the holes you drilled?

Thanks!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Might not seem like a lot of difference between awning brands but the Maxi awning's back sits higher where it is attached to the inside piece compared to my Yescoms.

Sitting higher means the awning will be lower when it is dployed, so if you are looking for added height you may want to consider the RMW brackets.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:

My slider does not rub, although the clearance is quite small.

Also, the pop top is able to clear the mounting bolts as well. I think the key here is to use as short of a bolt/nut combo as possible when attaching the brackets to the awning.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

VanAllen_84 wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, I only have two brackets with my current setup. Can you post some pics of your setup and measurements of the holes you drilled?

Thanks!

I will next week. My van is away at the spa spending my money like a drunk sailor. Maybe late next week?
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
rmcd wrote:

My slider does not rub, although the clearance is quite small.

Also, the pop top is able to clear the mounting bolts as well. I think the key here is to use as short of a bolt/nut combo as possible when attaching the brackets to the awning.

He's likely asking because of that rub mark on the side of the van, where the slider opens. Check to see if your inside handle is installed properly - you can install them vertically (wrong way) or horizontally (right way). I have a matching stripe on mine, and found out the hard way, it's because I installed the handle vertically ...
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

It's a little bit of a pain to set up. I don't know how anyone does it as a 1 person job, but with 2 people it's doable. And for $90 with a AAA discount, it's really hard to beat. Seems fairly durable. So durable+cheap, you have to give up easy to use. Solid buy (without considering the effects of subsidizing our luxurious lifestyles on the backs of the 3rd world, lol) in my opinion.

space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
It's a little bit of a pain to set up. I don't know how anyone does it as a 1 person job, but with 2 people it's doable. And for $90 with a AAA discount, it's really hard to beat. Seems fairly durable. So durable+cheap, you have to give up easy to use. Solid buy (without considering the effects of subsidizing our luxurious lifestyles on the backs of the 3rd world, lol) in my opinion.

4G tht vans looking great
I followed ur build thread and saw how it was
Mad Skills!
T
Rear discs
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Thanks man!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

You'll figure out how to do it solo if forced to do so a couple times.
It's not so bad if there's no wind.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh.... they're really easy to bend too. Sooo take your time. Ask me how I know.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

I've had the awning for weeks leaning against my fireplace.

It has just been too hot or too wet to mount it!

Today is a top 10 day so I've been doing yard work and decided to mount the awning.

I have the "Hauler Rack" and there were several mount options but I decided to mount the awning on the aluminum verticals from the rain gutters.

I used the supplied bracket as my hole template

To catch the drill shavings (I'm on the grass) I put cheap duct tape to good use as a chip collector!

Holes drilled

Mounted!
There is a balancing difficultly when working alone but I got it done!

Something I didn't notice is the grooves on the aluminum are NOT centered on the rack support.
The grooves are much closer to the top of the rack than to the bottom.
I only found this out when mounting it the bottom of the awning caught on the rack mount.
Oh well, I'll pick up some longer bolts and some spacers, it will work just fine.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Looks great. Like your cargo rack. Does it sing on the highway?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Looks great. Like your cargo rack. Does it sing on the highway?

It is actually very quiet. I’m honestly surprised how quiet it is.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

smeeegheeead wrote:
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh.... they're really easy to bend too. Sooo take your time. Ask me how I know.

You know, and I know, and Thee know....
-- Charles Bukowski
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Had a chance in between rain drops to see how the ARB room fits. Fits as expected!
Seems that my room has an ever slight length of fabric on the roof that sags just enough to bug me.
Think it needs a date with a sewing machine to take it in a bit.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

You know, and I know, and Thee know....
-- Charles Bukowski

It has not occurred to me to bring Bukowski into this forum. Impressive.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Yeah there is a sag in the roof. I have some fiberglass tent poles I've kept from old tents. May sew in some velcro straps to hold a center bow arched across the middle. Right now I wouldn't leave it unattended in the rain. I also considered a brass grommet in the center that could serve two purposes. A drain into a rain catchment jug, or a reinforced hole for a pin on the end of a telescopic pole to create a peak so it sheds water. Used it this weekend for shade while camping on the kenai to floss for red salmon.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Yeah there is a sag in the roof. I have some fiberglass tent poles I've kept from old tents. May sew in some velcro straps to hold a center bow arched across the middle. Right now I wouldn't leave it unattended in the rain. I also considered a brass grommet in the center that could serve two purposes. A drain into a rain catchment jug, or a reinforced hole for a pin on the end of a telescopic pole to create a peak so it sheds water. Used it this weekend for shade while camping on the kenai to floss for red salmon.

If rain is in the forecast, lower one pole and raise the other so one corner is a foot or more lower than the other. Think about where the runoff is going to go when you do this. EDIT: This is what I do on my ARB, I'm just assuming it works on these NAPA offerings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: