Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some bungee cord and strung it between the hooks. It raised it enough so it would not hit me in the head
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

I finally got the awning properly mounted and set it up.

I did it by myself, not overly difficult but an extra set of hands would make it easy!

It is good to have, I know I won’t set it up often. But when I need it? It will be an inexpensive asset!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Found this Thread a few weeks back and ordered one myself. $102w/tax and free shipping. I have a Bay, not a Vanagon, with an even early roof rack so I just used the included hardware mounted directly to the rack.
I've noticed reading comments a lot of assumption on when/where/how the thing is going to break and fail. Why not wait until one does then find out from that person what happened? IDK, I got a hundred dollar awning and seems like the glass is half full! Cool

Let me know if you don't want bay pics here and I'll take them out.
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

^^^ Love it! No harm, no foul.

If my 3-year-old Yescom was having any trouble, I'd be all over this deal. Rock on... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

ok.....i bit Smile
local napa is having a "20% off whatever fits in the bucket" sale.
guess what? it stuck out the top of the bucket pretty far, but it fit Wink

my main concern is the how the case will hold up to the PHX sun.....
this will not be permanently mounted to my van.
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Just found this thread and ordered one, excited to pick it up tomorrow!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Been using ours lately camping up in kenai while fishing. Funny how an awning makes a parked van into a camp. On the last trip, up there was going to be a good chance of rain so I brought an extendable painters roller handle. It has a soft rubber handle on it. I used it to create a peak in the middle. Glad I did, when we got back to camp there were roughly 1/2 gallon puddles in all 4 corners. It's great to have an awning, my wife loves it and it's worth 100 bucks. I stand by my earlier assessment that heim joints on all 4 corners would be a great addition. I've been shopping for the best cheap ones for the situation. You can spend 100 bucks on 4 heim joints Confused .
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Funny how an awning makes a parked van into a camp. .

Isn't that the truth. Cool
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
alaskadan wrote:
Funny how an awning makes a parked van into a camp. .

Isn't that the truth. Cool

Yep! My wife was sick so the van was an isolation chamber due to new granddaughter in the house.

Awning was out for a week. LED lights strung up and a mat on the ground. 2 camp chairs & a table. Spent a lot of time under that awning.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Bolted mine on yesterday. Easy for me to mount to the sides of my homemade ladder rack. Worth 100 bucks for sure. I don't like how the swing out side bars can't pivot up and down. Seems like the most likely failure point. It's the cast metal pivot design that's the problem. I'm going to look for some heim joints that fit instead. Likely swap out all 4 pivots.

I had the same thought about the swing out arms.
Except I see no need for them on the outer bar.

Did you find Heim joints yet?

If so, how will you install them?

Grainger has a good selection of Spherical Rod Ends.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

I've found many that could work, just trying not to spend more on them than the awning Rolling Eyes. I need to drill out the rivets on on of the corner pivots to verify the I.D. of the tube. Yes spherical rod ends that would slide right in and get screwed or pop riveted in. The misalignment angle is something else to consider when buying them. Most are in the 20 to 30 degree realm. I'm trying to find ones in the 50 to 60 degree realm. But the extreme angle ones are spendy. The reason for having them on all four corners would allow for having the awning at a steep angle like 6/12 " pitch to shed rain and keep the legs plumb.
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Picked it up yesterday, $110 no discount but still worth it!

Seleniris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting one of these awnings too but don't want to drill into the body of the vehicle. I think that means my two options are Rocky Mountain Westy and Van Cafe mounting brackets.

Are they essentially the same? If different, can someone explain the difference or merits of one brand over the other.

Apologies if I missed this explanation somewhere earlier in the thread.

Thanks!!!
Baja Don
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Get the NAPA 8x8 Maxi Trac awning!
It's a virtually identical copy of the ARB awning, but it's only $100
I paid $106 out the door at NAPA and I've compared it side by side with the ARB and they are identical.

Also, save another $80+ and make your own brackets from a set of old beetle bumper brackets!
A couple of cuts, drill one hole, a few bends, and they are perfect!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
It has a soft rubber handle on it. I used it to create a peak in the middle. Glad I did, when we got back to camp there were roughly 1/2 gallon puddles in all 4 corners.

I noodled running a flexible aluminum tent pole to create a ridge too keep water from pooling. Now I just lower one of the poles to allow water to run off. Your center pole is a good solution, for others who may have the awning out at night when it rains, lower one pole to avoid catching gallons of water in the center of the awning.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Had I not purchased an ARB awning years ago on sale at the time and have been satisfied with it, if this NAPA awning been available then, It probably would be hanging on the side of my vanagon.
Reading this topic I thought about what other alternative ARB accessories may be available.
Since one poster mentioned that the ARB room fits the NAPA Maxi Trac. And videos on YourTube so showing the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBcz-Bl7MA&t=389s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMLQ3Wbsz6w

It might be safe to say that most should be interchangeable if one is interested in adding a room or front wind break.
Came across this front wind break. It costs as much as the awning, but is different from ARB wind break.
https://ironman4x4america.com/awning-xtra-suits-8-...C%20%24150
Watching their video shows how to install.

Not promoting, just showing options for possible replacement parts or accessories.
https://ironman4x4america.com/search.php?search_query=iron%20man%208%27%20AWNING&section=product
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
I already tried flipping and rotating the inner gutter clamp piece, but that only made the alignment worse. What I have pictured is the best alignment that I was able to get from the clamp.

I did reach out to NorthWesty about this, I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any news on this fitment issue with your awning brackets?
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
I already tried flipping and rotating the inner gutter clamp piece, but that only made the alignment worse. What I have pictured is the best alignment that I was able to get from the clamp.

I did reach out to NorthWesty about this, I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any news on this fitment issue with your awning brackets?

I have not received any email back from NorthWesty. I was going to try and give them a call, but it honestly slipped my mind until now. I will report back here with my findings once I get a hold of them. Thanks for the reminder.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Just a couple of pictures of my NAPA awning deployed. It is a bit difficult to put up by yourself, especially in a stiff breeze but it is doable. I am going to get an adjustable tent pole to extend from the van to the outer rail to stiffen up the center and raise it a bit.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

https://www.napaonline.com/offers/20-off

20% off NAPA online orders thru 8/31 with code BACK2SCHOOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: