Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safe flat tow speed?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

What is a safe maximum speed when flat towing?

I have a trip coming up and am thinking about my route. Posted highway speeds here are 60-70 mph so of course that means 75+ for a lot of cars on the road. I have lights and big "in tow" magnet for it but I don't want to be so slow that it feels dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

I think it will depend greatly on the tow vehicle and its braking ability. I've towed mine behind several different RVs. I felt pretty good at 65, OK at 70, 75 for short periods. Probably could have pushed it more.

Always did a safety check at all stops. Checked drum temps with an IR thermometer.

Battery disconnected. Key in, Ignition on. Never needed to bungy cord steering wheel. Ideally use a brake buddy (but I never did Embarassed ) Oh,...and never attempt reverse on a flat tow
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

That all makes sense thanks for the tips, I never considered checking the drums, is that incase the pads drag a little or the bearings heat up? It will be behind an F150 so braking power won't be an issue.

There is a ton of good info out there. I wasn't sure if the low top speed driving the stock engine was all due to risk with that component or if there were others that shouldn't hit 75 mph Smile Overall the car is in good shape mechanically and it's only about an hour each way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

The one thing I forgot was to insure the vehicle is in neutral
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

I have flat towed our 73 for over 8,000 miles with no issues. Have had it up to 80 for short time. We tow with a Class C. I bought the front skid pan from the Thing Shop https://www.thethingshop.com/DEFLECTOR-PLATE-NEW-AM/productinfo/181707006/ and it sure works great. The front bumper is bolted to the front axle with this so it is super strong. Don't even know it is back there. If you do need to back up a little ways just lock the front wheels straight. buy pulling the key out. have someone watch. Have backed up over 20 feet with no problem. Have fun. Here is the post of the skid plate installed.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627050&highlight=skid+plate
GB
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Battery disconnected. Key in, Ignition on.

Not necessary.
Just plug in the key, turn it on, then off. Leave the key in the ignition to prevent the steering lock from engaging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

Works perfect. Do it all the time.
GB
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

Technut27 wrote:
What is a safe maximum speed when flat towing?

I have a trip coming up and am thinking about my route. Posted highway speeds here are 60-70 mph so of course that means 75+ for a lot of cars on the road. I have lights and big "in tow" magnet for it but I don't want to be so slow that it feels dangerous.

I towed mine all the way from Tucson to Chicago. 60 mph was the max speed I chose and had no problems. Like they said, unhook the battery, open the switch and let the steering roam free. Do not forget to have some towing lights, I had a set of magnetics from harbor freigth hooked into my Dodge Grand Caravan, they worked fine.

The max speed on my '72 manual is published at 110 k/hr which is about 68 mph. So, at least on paper, one should not exceed the max speed the vehicle is designed for.

Be safe.
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

I took it easy and kept it about 60-65. One drum felt hot but I've also never checked them before, or driven it at that speed for any amount of time. I popped the hubcap off and that seemed to be all it needed. The next stop it was just barely warm.

It got lots of attention on the ferry leg of the trip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe flat tow speed? Reply with quote

Glad to see it went well. Enjoy the trip and safe travels home!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: