Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

We will be experiencing record high temps this weekend and into next week.
Temps of 104°F are unusual.
Temps of 110-113°F are unheard of and if they happen this weekend. Will break the all time heat records.

Coastal beaches will be jam packed with families trying to escape the heat. River beaches will be packed as well.

In this area of the USA. We are not at all prepared for this type of weather. Most of the time the late June temps are around 80°F. Slightly uncomfortable, but tolerable.

Most folks here don't have AC. It's really not needed here. Most of the time.
I have a window AC unit. I'm in the minority on this. Most everyone just have fans to move the air around. But this is going to be something we are unaccustomed to.

I get that you folks in the south and midwest are used to this kind of heat. we're not!

So PNW folks. How are you going to beat/survive the heat this weekend and going into next week?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

The boys and I where going to rent a uhaul this weekend and move the Olympia stuff down to Portland. Nope, canceled that idea.

I use a portable AC. I can take from room to room. We have a basement, so it will be a good time to organize it Wink

Will drain the hot tub and fill with cooler water for a soak.

Ice cold Coors Light, since it’s mostly water. Gotta keep hydrated Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Told ya that place was gonna sell quick! Smart to cancel the move day.

I'd help ya with the basement organization, But there's no guarantee that your inventory won't shrink in the process. Shocked Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Record compared to what?

Here in California, they keep scaring us with glohobal waharming.

in 1978 when I came to the US it was 106 our current "HEAT WAVE" 81 degrees

when I got married in 1988

it was 102. we have not hit 100 in LA. if we break a record is by 1 miserable degree, no difference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED

Last edited by ALLWAGONS on Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Even 100F is tolerable if it cools off overnight. Close up the house in the morning to keep the cool air in.

We need about 7 days of 90+ Before we need to use our AC. House stays under
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

100 yr old craftsman home. No A/C but trees all around.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Heat records for Portland. 107* in 1965 and 107* twice in 1981.

This extreme heat will be the result of a large northward bulge in the jet stream.
“When the jet stream behaves this way, the air at mid- and upper levels of the atmosphere becomes very warm,” explained AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski. This upper-level heat can allow the surface to easily heat up.

Xatie just had a great idea. She found a Christmas movie on the Hallmark channel. Temps just dropped 10* instantly and I’m feeling a nap coming on Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
We will be experiencing record high temps this weekend and into next week.
Temps of 104°F are unusual.
Temps of 110-113°F are unheard of and if they happen this weekend. Will break the all time heat records.

Coastal beaches will be jam packed with families trying to escape the heat. River beaches will be packed as well.

In this area of the USA. We are not at all prepared for this type of weather. Most of the time the late June temps are around 80°F. Slightly uncomfortable, but tolerable.

Most folks here don't have AC. It's really not needed here. Most of the time.
I have a window AC unit. I'm in the minority on this. Most everyone just have fans to move the air around. But this is going to be something we are unaccustomed to.

I get that you folks in the south and midwest are used to this kind of heat. we're not!

So PNW folks. How are you going to beat/survive the heat this weekend and going into next week?

Hmmmmm I'm thinking all of you minimalist toss the extra power robbing weight of that A/C system are rethinking this stance about right now...........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Xatie just had a great idea. She found a Christmas movie on the Hallmark channel. Temps just dropped 10* instantly and I’m feeling a nap coming on Laughing

You're like a brother from another mother, I nearly choked on my "light" beer (need that extra water content) when I read that. I know all too well what effect those stupid movies have on me. Wink

Stay cool guys, it's predicted to beat the highest temps ever recorded for the nation nearby in the next few days, and only a couple degrees less here, I'm hiding in the shop with the fans on on Monday.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Heat records for Portland. 107* in 1965 and 107* twice in 1981.

This extreme heat will be the result of a large northward bulge in the jet stream.
“When the jet stream behaves this way, the air at mid- and upper levels of the atmosphere becomes very warm,” explained AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski. This upper-level heat can allow the surface to easily heat up.

Between the jetsteam and the ocean currents weather will change in 10-15 year intervals, The ocean being the major factor of all weather.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Between the jetsteam and the ocean currents weather will change in 10-15 year intervals, The ocean being the major factor of all weather.

I’ll miss the Fir trees. But I do love the Redwoods that will replace them. Sorry Northern California, enjoy the succulents. So Cal will probably just implant silicone trees Laughing

Enough eco talk. I gotta go save 67rustavenger.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

I’ll miss the Fir trees. But I do love the Redwoods that will replace them. Sorry Northern California, enjoy the succulents. So Cal will probably just implant silicone trees Laughing

Enough eco talk. I gotta go save 67rustavenger.

I don't need rescuing Dickhead! Lol!

Besides think of the coodies Alex, his kids and I will leave in your hottub. After we're done partying in it this evening! Shocked

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

I got to 67rustavenger just in time. He was starting to get surly and possibly hallucinating while posting on the Samba. All is well. Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I got to 67rustavenger just in time. He was starting to get surly and possibly hallucinating while posting on the Samba. All is well. Laughing

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

I just started my pellet grill. The internal temp sensor is reading 102F. That's in the shade @7:00pm!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I just started my pellet grill. The internal temp sensor is reading 102F. That's in the shade @7:00pm!

We just had Vietnamese food on the patio. My big forehead is 102* it’s like a nice day on the beach in SE Asia. Only no beach and only a water hose to cool off. Xatie’s all wet and soaking Cool

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Just got back from lake Powell a few days ago. lone Rock beach. 115 with 20MPH winds. It felt like being blasted with a hair dryer full of sand. My sweat had sweat!

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

11:11am and the temps already are at 99°F.

Last nights low temp @ 1:30am was 77°F. That's more of a normal daytime temp in June.

I smashed the power button on the AC at 9:00am. It was already 83°F.

Yesterdays record temps in PDX hit 108°F. That record is gonna last less than 18 hours. Today's temps are predicted to hit 115°F. Shocked

I sent a group text to the neighbors last evening to check on them. All is well. And I got a ziplock bag of Tamales for being a nice guy! Wink

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Last nights low temp @ 1:30am was 77°F. That's more of a normal daytime temp in June.

Yesterdays record temps in PDX hit 108°F. That record is gonna last less than 18 hours. Today's temps are predicted to hit 115°F. Shocked

I sent a group text to the neighbors last evening to check on them. All is well. And I got a ziplock bag of Tamales for being a nice guy! Wink

Good Man!, Now if we could only send you a 12 pack of Modelos?

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Good Man!, Now if we could only send you a 12 pack of Modelos?

I wouldn't turn that offer down! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: