Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

OK; I've owned a number VW Beetles; recently as many of you may know sold my beautiful VW SB, and I am in search of another VW- was looking at/for either a Beetle or possibly a Ghia but I keep coming back to this 1987 VW Cabriolet I've found - cool little, looks like fun to cruise in convertible. I know many of the answers will be: "Hey if you like it, if you want it, GET IT"! I understand that but just wondering, requesting opinions on the VW Cabriolet and especially this 1987 model - Collectible - Respected - Sought After?

Let me know, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
"Hey if you like it, if you want it, GET IT"!

The ONLY thing that matters.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

I don't know how collectible they are, but I sure as heck don't see a lot of them on the roads!

We had one, great little car. That thing never saw the inside of a shop except for maintenance, and although it wasn't very fast, it was fun!

I'd get it if you can get it for a good price. Then if you get sick of it you're not upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

Well I always attempt to buy a car - classic or used where I automatically have some equity in it; I've done fairly well doing that. So - I went and took a look at it, drove it, spoke to the seller for some time made an offer.

I now own my very first VW Cabriolet.

It was fun to drive it; picking it up today and start doing a little TLC and enjoying it. I'll post a photo after I put some in my Gallery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

Here is my "New" - "Very First" VW Cabriolet. I think I'll enjoy her and have some fun cruising - hope the die heart VW group will accept at the shows, she is "watered cooled" Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

keep it garaged as sun and weather will make short work of a 30 yr old top...which are not cheap to replace..they also had issues with windshield gaskets leaking on the fuse box, filling relays with water and corroding connections...so fair weather car only...the drivetrains are bulletproof compared to a bug...unfortunately bosch discontinued virtually all of the fuel injection components for this car so you may have some searching to do if it winds up with a drivability issue
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

That thing is SWEET!!!!!

Enjoy it
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

Thank you! Just drove it back home, WV to Ohio - 70-75 Highway speeds; NO PROBLEMS - Runs straight, No shimmy, Roof was down (its' about 90+ hear today), enjoyed the ride. Having lunch then go out and start a little TLC.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

Nice. My daughter owned a 87 Cab for a few years. Fun cars. Some parts were a challenge to find, but not impossible.

I used to go to the below forum for help with it and help locating parts. It's been a few years since she sold it but site seems to still be very active.

https://www.vwvortex.com/forums/cabriolet.152/

lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

I like it, have thought about finding one myself, you did good. Wink
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

I owned one for a couple of years around 2010. They're fun little cars, pretty basic to work on and parts are cheap. Cheap to insure & register too. Convertible top can be the only painful/expensive thing.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Cabriolet - Collector - Feelings Reply with quote

I had these post on another forum; was suggested that I put it on the "Water Cooled VW" site, so here she is, enjoying it, really fun, isn't a "Beetle" but I'll find another Beetle and will be back to the Beetle Forum, but for now; I'm enjoying the Cabriolet.... Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: