Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Hi,

I am running a Pertronix D186504 Flame Thrower. I am testing a new Bosch Sport tach 7906. I am receiving a 0 reading on the tach. I have wired black -> negative, red -> positive, green -> negative of coil.

Is anyone else running this combination? Did you need to install a filter that the Bosch user manual states?

Bosch support said:
"In order for the tachometer to work it needs a 5 volt square wave for the reference signal. You would need to contact the ignition manufacture for specifications of the tach reference signal and their recommendations if a filter would be needed with the specific ignition system being used."

Thanks.

Last edited by 74SBBaja on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

that tach is for newer cars/engines with magnetic pick up or VR sensor. It will not work with points or points replacement sytems.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

The tech at aircooled.net said the tach was bad. Perhaps it needs a filter?

https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Tachometer-Gauge-...amp;sr=8-5

Alstrup wrote:
that tach is for newer cars/engines with magnetic pick up or VR sensor. It will not work with points or points replacement sytems.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Points and points replacement units deliver 12V. So I´m pretty sure it wohnt work with those. But if you use some sort of filter between the units it might be another matter.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Ahh. Thanks for the info. I bet a square 5v wave. Wonder if a small resistor setup would work.

Alstrup wrote:
Points and points replacement units deliver 12V. So I´m pretty sure it wohnt work with those. But if you use some sort of filter between the units it might be another matter.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

I have the bigger 5" Bosch one and nothing was required for that
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

This document ...

https://www.boschperformance.com/sites/default/files/0002-002-2504.pdf

Says green wire goes to negative terminal of coil on page 3

PDF file was downloaded from this page....

https://www.boschperformance.com/products/sport-ii-2-58-tachometer-black-face-fst-7906

As usual confusion reigns...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Yes, I have read that document. It is confusing. Even though this tach is for a "12v" system, the tech at Bosch told me that it requires a 5v square wave signal for the trigger.

I did try using a 10k and 22k resistor inline with the green trigger wire with no luck.

I am not sure how they expect to get a 5v trigger from the negative of a 12v coil.

I am going to call them back and pick there brains for a more detailed explanation.

Dale M. wrote:
This document ...

https://www.boschperformance.com/products/sport-ii-2-58-tachometer-black-face-fst-7906

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

73SBBaja wrote:
Yes, I have read that document. It is confusing. Even though this tach is for a "12v" system, the tech at Bosch told me that it requires a 5v square wave signal for the trigger.

I did try using a 10k and 22k resistor inline with the green trigger wire with no luck.

I am not sure how they expect to get a 5v trigger from the negative of a 12v coil.

I am going to call them back and pick there brains for a more detailed explanation.

Dale M. wrote:
This document ...

Its just maybe possible, the BOSCH tech you spoke to is wrong in his information....Different tech may have different information...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

5V is just the minimum.

Resistor is not likely to do anything as the input impedance is high anyways.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

I called Bosch. A different tech told me that they are not even suppose to tell customers this.

The original tech emailed me back and said that they don't test or support non oem ignitions. Yet, on the product page it states:

Functions with breaker points, electronic, and most aftermarket ignition systems (not magnetos)

I am going to try to call Pertronix again when they open.

A bit frustrated.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

I was able to contact Pertronix. The tech told me that their product looks for 0-12v. He recommended Autometer.

The Bosch tach can't read below 5v.

The Bosch tech said I might be able to get it to work if I can find a way to create a perfect 0-5v wave.

Looks like I will be stopping here.

Thank you all for your help.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Quick Update.

Bosch is working with me to fix this issue. They have been very helpful so far.

We hope to have a resolution in a little while.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

5 volt square wave is electronic stuff, and will not likely work in an analog environment. 5 volt reference circuits are what new (like, last 30-40 years, OEM digital fuel injection) vehicles use. Crank and cam sensors, throttle position sensors, MAP sensors, they all use a 5 volt reference. The control module (Engine Control Module, etc) provides a 5 volt circuit for use with the 5 volt sensor. There are usually 3 wires; 5 volts, ground (provided through the ecu), and a signal wire. There isn't anything on an old VW that provides 5 volts.

For a crank signal, as would be used for a tach, there is 5 volts applied to the sensor. The sensor usually is in close proximity to a toothed reluctor wheel. The pulsing of the teeth (and also the voids between them) causes a 5 volt ON/OFF signal that can be read on the signal wire. This is the square wave theory; it doesn't ramp voltage up or down, it's just on or off. The amount of times it turns on and off in a fixed amount of time indicates speed. But again, you don't have a reluctor, nor do you have a clean 5 volt signal. Unless Bosch provides some work around, you will likely find yourself using a different tach.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
5 volt square wave is electronic stuff, and will not likely work in an analog environment. 5 volt reference circuits are what new (like, last 30-40 years, OEM digital fuel injection) vehicles use. Crank and cam sensors, throttle position sensors, MAP sensors, they all use a 5 volt reference. The control module (Engine Control Module, etc) provides a 5 volt circuit for use with the 5 volt sensor. There are usually 3 wires; 5 volts, ground (provided through the ecu), and a signal wire. There isn't anything on an old VW that provides 5 volts.

For a crank signal, as would be used for a tach, there is 5 volts applied to the sensor. The sensor usually is in close proximity to a toothed reluctor wheel. The pulsing of the teeth (and also the voids between them) causes a 5 volt ON/OFF signal that can be read on the signal wire. This is the square wave theory; it doesn't ramp voltage up or down, it's just on or off. The amount of times it turns on and off in a fixed amount of time indicates speed. But again, you don't have a reluctor, nor do you have a clean 5 volt signal. Unless Bosch provides some work around, you will likely find yourself using a different tach.

Higher than 5V shouldn't matter. 12v square wave should work just fine. Input impedance is high so higher voltage won't hurt anything. I believe the 5V rating is the minimum that TTL logic can switch (hi/low) states for counting purposes.

What may be the issue is points don't give a square wave. They have more of a "saw tooth" pattern. It is driven by the coil inductance paired with the capacitor (condenser) in the points circuit.
However, every tach I have ever seen can easily count sawtooth.
I can't imagine a tach not working with standard points signal.
They advertise it working with points.

The only scenario I can think of that would be a problem is using points to trigger and MSD box,.... and still trying to use the condenser with it. The condenser must be removed from circuit to give a clean signal to the box/tach.
A condenser with no load would flatten the signal to the box and tach. The condenser must be removed if the coil is removed from the load in that scenario.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:

Higher than 5V shouldn't matter. 12v square wave should work just fine. Input impedance is high so higher voltage won't hurt anything. I believe the 5V rating is the minimum that TTL logic can switch (hi/low) states for counting purposes.

What may be the issue is points don't give a square wave. They have more of a "saw tooth" pattern. It is driven by the coil inductance paired with the capacitor (condenser) in the points circuit.
However, every tach I have ever seen can easily count sawtooth.
I can't imagine a tach not working with standard points signal.
They advertise it working with points.

The only scenario I can think of that would be a problem is using points to trigger and MSD box,.... and still trying to use the condenser with it. The condenser must be removed from circuit to give a clean signal to the box/tach.
A condenser with no load would flatten the signal to the box and tach. The condenser must be removed if the coil is removed from the load in that scenario.

I agree, however, because of the sawtooth pattern, and the higher (12-14 volts) voltage, I am wondering if it isn't spending enough time below the 5 volt threshold to "see" the pulses.

I guess we'll have to see what Bosch tells him!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

IS tach new, used, donated?...

Wire tach up to known good working points distributor system as a test..... So far everything points to failed unit....

Dale

Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Well, after looking up the OP's tach model, it appears it should just work, not only from the installation manual, but also from the Q&A section of Summit Racing, where several people commented that they hooked it up to the negative post of the coil, and it worked fine.

Perhaps you just got a bad one.

Double check the wires are going to the proper places, and double check that it is set for the correct amount of cylinders.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

Bosch is stepping up and sending me a replacement tach. It will take a few weeks to get it. I will up date this thread with the results in case anyone else runs in to this.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower / Bosch Sport Tach - 0 Reading Reply with quote

A quick update.

I am still waiting on the replacement tach from Bosch. I am told that I should receive it in a couple of weeks. We will see.

Take care,

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: