Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hot start issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: hot start issues Reply with quote

I have a 1982 Westy 2.0. I have replaced the starter and the ignition coil but the van will not start when hot. It makes a slow crank over noise. Do I need to replace anything else like the plugs, distributor cap and spark plug wires? Has anyone else had this problem before? Any help works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

slow crank : how is the battery? (Voltage at rest, voltage while cranking, voltage after cranking, clean grounds...)
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

the battery is about five years old . But i do take care of it in the winter when in storage. I will check though thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

I had this issue on my 87. Putting a jump pack (small 12v golf cart battery) on it would get it to crank over normally. I bought the hot start relay and a new starter. The new starter fixed it for me so I didn't add the relay. Since you've already replaced the starter, I would add the hot start relay.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

bus bruce wrote:
I have a 1982 Westy 2.0. I have replaced the starter and the ignition coil but the van will not start when hot. It makes a slow crank over noise. Do I need to replace anything else like the plugs, distributor cap and spark plug wires? Has anyone else had this problem before? Any help works for me.

1) did you have this issue before replacing the starter?

2) What is the current starter you put in there?

Btw, having similar problem with 2.5 subi. Had issue before starter replacement. Still working on it. Ambient cold starts better than ambient hot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750796&highlight=starter

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

I did have this issue on my last starter also. My local mechanic told me to get it hot then take the middle wire off of my distributor cap and see if it rolls fast to start. If thats the case then my TDC timing could be off. Any insite on that theory?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

Disabling the ignition is a valid diagnostic test for slow cranking. If the ignition timing is too early (advanced) then the igniting fuel mixture can fight the rising piston. Usually if this is the case, the slow cranking is uneven.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Disabling the ignition is a valid diagnostic test for slow cranking. If the ignition timing is too early (advanced) then the igniting fuel mixture can fight the rising piston. Usually if this is the case, the slow cranking is uneven.

idea how to do this ignition disable on a subi?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

So I want to adjust my timing. I found the tension bolt for the distributor cap but the belts are covered. Can I adjust it without taking everything apart to seethe marks??
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

bus bruce wrote:
...Can I adjust it without taking everything apart to seethe marks??

Yes you can. Should not have to disassembled anything. You point your timing light thru the licence plate opening to see the mark on the timing pulley.

https://ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

English is a second language to me
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

you of course have cleaned the battery terminals
the ground strap to the battery box bolt
both ends of the ground strap between the transaxle & the chassis underneath

just because your 5yr old battery tests ok in voltage does not mean it is capable of still delivering the needed AMPS

5 year old battery is very near it's End of life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: hot start issues Reply with quote

so I got a new battery a new starter new plugs new distributor cap and rotor and ignition coil. Thanks for the tip on the timing through the license. Bringing it to my guy to make it easy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: