Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been offered to take responsibility for the 356 Coupe with a Reutter Body from 1962. It is an 1600 S 90 with a 912 Engine, front disc brakes and without the optional helper spring. It is silver outside and Black interior.

Chassis number: 214162

But there might be a typo in there, so may be swapping first two numbers might be possible, too: 124162

My friend is an Italian, so the car could be an export model into Italy. But looking up the Chassis number, I only find a reference stating this would be a Car from 1963 being a normal 1600, but not a 90 and not an S.

It is definitely a Super 90, I have seen the car and drove with it over 10 years ago. Now my friend turns much older, and he would allow me to take care of it. Probably an offer I don't want to miss....

So, anybody ho can shed a light?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Built in 1962 and sold/titled in 1963 --- common back then. The engine you say is from a 912 which didn't see production until 1965. The car is 60 years old - check the engine serial number - suspect it was replaced and is not original to the chassis. Disk brakes were added too.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Built in 1962 and sold/titled in 1963 --- common back then. The engine you say is from a 912 which didn't see production until 1965. The car is 60 years old - check the engine serial number - suspect it was replaced and is not original to the chassis. Disk brakes were added too.

Yes, I assumed this, too. I know, the 912 Engine was "after the fact". I have to get more info on the car. Very exited about the offer. (Not having heard what he is asking for).
But we will meet in August when we are down in Italy for summer break and we will speak 356 then. So I might become a Porsche owner finally...

Thanks anyways!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

214162 is a very late '63 356B with a Karmann-built coupe body
124162 is also a 1963 356B coupe, but with a body by Reutter and built earlier in the calendar year.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info, and yes, it is a Karmann Body from 1962. see below.

Here some pics of the car. I appreciate your comments on the first impression.

It has no helper spring, a Porsche 912 motor and front disc brakes.

I will post more pics once I received it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Some more pics from the car:

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

The 912 motor is just a 356S that has heads that tend to crack as they changed the casting and caused the stress that caused the cracking. The 62 356S had black oxide heads very rare. It's funny I have a 912 with 62 356S black oxide heads I bought as my 912 heads had cracked.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Thank you starbucket, valuable info on the heads.

I received two more pics to proof the low mileage:

1983:oil change at 25.929km

2021: total Mileage: 27374km

My friend told me he had the car stored safely far from Milan where he was living (we worked as Sales Reps for the same Company which had an office in Milan).

He rarely drove the car the past 28 years, just about 1400km, about 1000 miles. He now is too afraid to get in into the traffic because he does not want to have it involved in some lunatic damaging it.

This car is just well driven in if I was to judge the mileage.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

It doesn’t have a Super 90 tachometer, or camber compensator, or engine. My guess is that someone put a “90” badge on the back in place of the “S”. It is a commonly know fact that 110% of all Super 90’s still exist Very Happy Nice car, BTW
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
It doesn’t have a Super 90 tachometer, or camber compensator, or engine. My guess is that someone put a “90” badge on the back in place of the “S”. It is a commonly know fact that 110% of all Super 90’s still exist Very Happy Nice car, BTW

Good one Jack. I will remember this when talking money.... Indeed, I like it anyways, a nice basis for am outlaw version
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify VIN Number 356 B 90 Super Reply with quote

A note on the 912 carbs, if they are the original Solex 40P11's, the 68/69 912's had split shafts where the early ones had solid shafts. If you have the split shafts (adjustment screw between barrels) and the car doesn't want to idle at the normal RPMs it's because the rubber tension block has rotted away, it can be fixed by a small piece of surgical tubing pushed over the tension block mounting casting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: