Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.35:1 Ratio Rockers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

Well... They are a bolt on replacement. They come with new push rods. All you do is pull off the valve covers, unbolt 2 13mm nuts per side, remove the old pushrods and reverse those steps with the replacement parts. Set the valves to anything between zero lash and +2 full turns in. Replace valve covers, with new gaskets. Done.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

1.35 Ratio Rocker kit arrived. Now waiting on the valve cover gaskets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
1.35 Ratio Rocker kit arrived. Now waiting on the valve cover gaskets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, how did things go? Did you install the new rockers after getting the valve cover gaskets? Have the Mansi 1.35:1 Rockers improve performance? Did they change MPG, hill climbing or any reliability issues?

Btw, you mentioned Mansi Injectors...how did they change your 2.1's performance, MPG, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience with any of your modifications.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

I installed them. Performance improvement on the top end. 70-80mph in rolling hills no issue. Encounter a steep hill and it's back to the old WBX shenanigans. From stop I can tell a difference. It seems to rev freer.

Where I was getting 13mph I'm now getting high 15's to around 17mph. That's pretty decent pushing a brick 70-80 mph on interstates with a 3 speed auto and bigger tires and wheels.

I'd installed the fuel injectors a while back. The injectors that were on my van with I bought it were pretty rough. Installing Mansi's injectors smoothed the idle out considerably.

I did wind up having to order aluminum valve covers for fitting the rocker kit. That's not supposed to be a requirement, but I have a feeling mine had been hit and warped at some point, and they caused issues.

slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
I installed them. Performance improvement on the top end. 70-80mph in rolling hills no issue. Encounter a steep hill and it's back to the old WBX shenanigans. From stop I can tell a difference. It seems to rev freer.

I did wind up having to order aluminum valve covers for fitting the rocker kit. That's not supposed to be a requirement, but I have a feeling mine had been hit and warped at some point, and they caused issues.

Thanks for info. A bit of a surprise about the aluminum valve covers...do they leak as some have reported?
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

The aluminum covers did leak, but it was due to the poor quality cork gaskets included in the kit. The left side gasket came apart in three pieces and leaked so much oil out onto the exhaust manifold I fumigated mosquitoes on my short test run. I ordered replacement gaskets from Vanagain.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

i know these are 'bolt on' and sold as such so you don't need to mess around... but did you look at the geometry of the installed assembly to see how the elevations and angles were? just curious how well sorted out this kit is. i'm assuming pretty high.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i know these are 'bolt on' and sold as such so you don't need to mess around... but did you look at the geometry of the installed assembly to see how the elevations and angles were? just curious how well sorted out this kit is. i'm assuming pretty high.

Hi DanHoug, its exactly that, a completely sorted kit, there is no rocker block shims, as the waterboxer is a fixed deck block, rocker geometry has been worked out and is perfect, it uses the best Manton pushrods that are already at the correct length.
Thanks
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

Hi Marco,
If aluminum valve covers are required or even recommended, what HIGH quality aluminum covers do you recommend?

Also, living in California we have lower-air-pollution requirements, how will your 1.35 rockers effect engine emissions? How do you expect your rockers improve fuel economy?

Thanks for putting high quality products on the Vanagon market.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
Hi Marco,
If aluminum valve covers are required or even recommended, what HIGH quality aluminum covers do you recommend?

Also, living in California we have lower-air-pollution requirements, how will your 1.35 rockers effect engine emissions? How do you expect your rockers improve fuel economy?

Stock valve covers work fine, if you want to use aftermarket covers thats fine too, but you must make sure they use the stock style clips and are not bolt on.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

[quote="marcotheturbosteamengine"]
slo356 wrote:

Also, living in California we have lower-air-pollution requirements, how will your 1.35 rockers effect engine emissions? How do you expect your rockers improve fuel economy? .

How your 1.35 rockers effects on emissions and mpg?
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

[quote="slo356"]
marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:
slo356 wrote:

Also, living in California we have lower-air-pollution requirements, how will your 1.35 rockers effect engine emissions? How do you expect your rockers improve fuel economy? .

How your 1.35 rockers effects on emissions and mpg?

Staying as the same speed and driving the same conditions, there will be no difference in MPG, But obviously when you put your foot down to overtake and accelerate you have slightly more power so you will use more fuel.
There is no affect on emissions,
happyshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1.35:1 Ratio Rockers Reply with quote

marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:
slo356 wrote:
Hi Marco,

Stock valve covers work fine, if you want to use aftermarket covers thats fine too, but you must make sure they use the stock style clips and are not bolt on.

Marco,

Why style clips and are not bolt on?
I need buy the empi valvecover with bold... ?

Greetings from Bavaria
Markus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: