Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

Hey all! I just converted from single to dual port on my 70 Westfalia. New pistons, rings, cylinders, obv. heads and carb (34-Pict). Put it back in and it ran GREAT for about 2 weeks, then I noticed that I was having to put in a qt of oil every few days. Yesterday while idling, the white smoke began. Changed the oil (20w-50) and fired it up and CLOUDS of smoke! It was after about 1 minute of running, not instantly.
Before the rebuild I was having low pressure issues, put in a 30MM oil pump and Empi oil pressure booster kit (https://www.jbugs.com/product/9202.html)
Could it be I have a bad set of rings already? Less than 300 miles since new pistons. Too much oil pressure? Crank case pressure issue? I also am noticing there is also oil coming from rear main seal. That was also replaced along with flywheel on this last rebuild. Endplay looked good.
I am ready to pull the engine again, but thought if I was over looking something easy it may save me the labor! Thanks for the advice!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

300 miles is a little late, but you have nothing to lose by trying to seat the rings now, you may get lucky: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755676&highlight=smoke

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

if oil consumption is increasing that is not a problem with rings seating in the conventional sense. It could be many things. I would start by pulling the plugs with the engine cold and see if all or one cylinder is the culprit. With that much oil the plugs in the defective cylinders should be really oily.

What are you using for a breather?

It is also possible that a valve guide has broken or slipped so that oil is running past it. When you rebuilt it, did you mess with the guides?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

One thing I know. You are over oiling the engine. Get that high pressure plunger out of there first. Go back to stock. A 30mm pump is more than enough. Maybe too much. Breather pressure is a definite issue too. New rings = more breather. You must vent that pressure or it will cause the leaks you describe. Can we see a pic of your engine?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

New carb might be leaking gas into your oil causing white smoke
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

I wouldn’t use 20w50 during break in. Try 10w30. You want wear right now. You want the rings to wear in. Later you can go back to slippery detergent oil. But the 20w50 is too heavy right now
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks all - I will change out the bypass plungers to stock. I will grab a pic over lunch. As far as the valve guides, It could be but I bought fully assembled brand new heads so I did not mess with valve guides.
I did not do the break in properly, but I did have 10w-30 for the first oil on the new engine. I just put the 20W-50 in yesterday and have not driven with it. I will swap it back for the 10W-30 and try the proper break-in procedure to see if I can set those rings still.
For the breather, I swaped it for a simple paper breather from the original oil filled breather, but I was using that on the previous engine too. I still have the stock breather if that could be a culprit? Appreciate all the advice!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

Did you make sure to stagger the ring gaps?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

I like to use original oil fill/ breather vents because many of the aftermarket ones are a smaller diameter. Looking forward to yours pics

Here's a pic of an engine I did in a 1972 bus. Notice the aftermarket breather

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Took it for a drive

Then found this. Main oil seal leaking

So I changed the seal twice more and continued to find leaks. Finally going back to stock fixed the venting issue.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

Quote:
For the breather, I swapped it for a simple paper breather from the original oil filled breather,

huh? you mean air cleaner? If you put on a paper air cleaner, how did you plumb the breather hose?
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

Replaced the plungers with the stock over lunch and swapped back to 10w-30 oil. Took it out and ran hard up some hills around the area. When I parked it after about 20 minutes of driving, rear main clearly having issues! Was pouring out of there.
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
For the breather, I swapped it for a simple paper breather from the original oil filled breather,

huh? you mean air cleaner? If you put on a paper air cleaner, how did you plumb the breather hose?

Yes, obv. meant air cleaner. There is a photo above.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

pull the top off the air cleaner and with the engine running see how much blowby there is coming out the breather opening (over where the breather hose is connected). Make sure it isn't plugged.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

So the hose connected to your breather tower is very close to 1/2 inch ID. You need to check the carb air cleaner connection for that hose and make sure it isn’t reduced down from the 1/2 inch. Also, there needs to be a smooth downhill flow for that hose. If not, it can accumulate oil which can block the breather air
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Burn after Top End Rebuild Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
So the hose connected to your breather tower is very close to 1/2 inch ID. You need to check the carb air cleaner connection for that hose and make sure it isn’t reduced down from the 1/2 inch. Also, there needs to be a smooth downhill flow for that hose. If not, it can accumulate oil which can block the breather air
I hogged out my aftermarket breather by almost double and yes definitely make sure there is no low spot in the breather hose. Not just oil will accumulate, but water as well from short drives and if you are in a cold climate like me it will freeze and you’ll be blowing oil out everywhere!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: