Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

I bought this 62 Bus that had been converted to IRS. It didn't come with a motor or trans. I found both motor and tranny, and when I installed them, the rear end was sagging. I wanted somewhat of a stock height, so I removed the swing plates and adjusted them one notch. Perfect ride height now but the camber is way out. I know there's no camber adjustment on an IRS, but not sure why it's out so much. I read I could attach a "persuasion bar" to the hub and try to bend the entire assembly into proper camber, but this sounded a bit barbaric so I thought I wound ask the Samba community for advise. Motor is a 1600 DP. Transaxle is a freeway flyer. I've included a few pic's to show the camber. Drivers side is way out, passenger side needs adjustment, but not as bad as drivers side. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Was your bus converted to IRS with round bolt on clamps around the torsion tubes that your trailing arms attach too? If so loosen them and turn them so the pivot moves down, this will correct your camber.

If this is a T1 IRS kit you will probably have CV joint issues running this high. More specifically, your CV joint life wont be good.
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

This is a Type 1 bug IRS. I was told that it would be best if I changed out the CV's to Thing CV's. greater degree of travel, larger diameter and deeper splines. But this does still have the T1 CV's for now. But do you think this is what's causing my camber problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Type 1 IRS is not made to run at stock bus height maybe if it's has bolt on shackles you could adjust some of that camber out but i wouldn't expect it to work perfectly

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

bacres wrote:
This is a Type 1 bug IRS. I was told that it would be best if I changed out the CV's to Thing CV's. greater degree of travel, larger diameter and deeper splines. But this does still have the T1 CV's for now. But do you think this is what's causing my camber problem?

Was your bus converted to IRS with round bolt on clamps around the torsion tubes that your trailing arms attach too? If so loosen them and turn them so the pivot moves down, this will correct your camber.
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

It does not have the round bolt on clamps. See pics below. This was the setup when I got it. I could be wrong about this being a T1 IRS. I was told it was by a local shop, but to be homnest,,, they've given me some bad advice in the past.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

that setup is NOT designed to run at stock height.

if you want zero camber and stock height then you need to change suspension.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

You can get relatively close to what you're after with the parts you have. It looks to me like the pick-ups for the trailing arms are not properly installed. You may have to cut them off and start over.

This, my old Bus, was set up similarly to yours. IRS Beetle trailing arms, CV and trans. I had to lower it a little, but I still managed to fit some 14" BFG under it.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

I take it ur talking about where the swing arm pivot mounts to the torsion axle housing tube?? I never noticed before that they were not symmetrical... should these mounts be level? It seems both are pitched up too far, the drivers side more so than the passenger side. This coincides with my camber problem. Drivers side way out, passenger side only slightly!,,,, these are welded in so I would need to cut them out and re-weld new ones, but what angle? Level??
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

bacres wrote:
I take it ur talking about where the swing arm pivot mounts to the torsion axle housing tube?? I never noticed before that they were not symmetrical... should these mounts be level? It seems both are pitched up too far, the drivers side more so than the passenger side. This coincides with my camber problem. Drivers side way out, passenger side only slightly!,,,, these are welded in so I would need to cut them out and re-weld new ones (<---NO!), but what angle? Level?? (<---again, no.)

Yes, that's causing your disparate cambers, and no, they should not be level. The higher you position (rotate) them on the torsion housing, the more positive the camber will go, and the lower, the more negative.

Wow, somebody did a hack-ass job on that. Yes, you need to cut them off, but don't weld new ones on, buy this kit https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/early-bus-irs-conversion-2501102/ so that you can clamp them on, and you can decide what you want your camber to be, within reason. I think you'll be able to run it fairly close to stock, but with the clamp-on pivots, you can dial the camber yourself. Forget that weld-on shit (yes, Wolfgang sells those also). In fact, you may be able to talk the Wolfgang boys into selling you just the bolt-on pivot brackets, less the rest of the parts in the kit, if you feel your other parts are in order.

And yes, get Thing/Type 2 CVs, and you'll also need to upgrade to Thing/Type 2 stub axles and drive flanges on the tranny output. These can handle a bit more angle, and they're beefier. Sorry you gotta spend more bucks!
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Ahhh. Ok. After further inspection, there's less than 3 inches of weld on these existing mounts. It's good that I inquired cause if I hadn't, i would have never known about this issue. I might have been stranded when these mounts snapped off. I've been searching for a few hours and I've found different kits but I really only need the bolt on mounts. Thanks for the help. I'll post a few pics once completed. Very Happy
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
bacres wrote:
I take it ur talking about where the swing arm pivot mounts to the torsion axle housing tube?? I never noticed before that they were not symmetrical... should these mounts be level? It seems both are pitched up too far, the drivers side more so than the passenger side. This coincides with my camber problem. Drivers side way out, passenger side only slightly!,,,, these are welded in so I would need to cut them out and re-weld new ones (<---NO!), but what angle? Level?? (<---again, no.)

Yes, that's causing your disparate cambers, and no, they should not be level. The higher you position (rotate) them on the torsion housing, the more positive the camber will go, and the lower, the more negative.

Wow, somebody did a hack-ass job on that. Yes, you need to cut them off, but don't weld new ones on, buy this kit https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/early-bus-irs-conversion-2501102/ so that you can clamp them on, and you can decide what you want your camber to be, within reason. I think you'll be able to run it fairly close to stock, but with the clamp-on pivots, you can dial the camber yourself. Forget that weld-on shit (yes, Wolfgang sells those also). In fact, you may be able to talk the Wolfgang boys into selling you just the bolt-on pivot brackets, less the rest of the parts in the kit, if you feel your other parts are in order.

And yes, get Thing/Type 2 CVs, and you'll also need to upgrade to Thing/Type 2 stub axles and drive flanges on the tranny output. These can handle a bit more angle, and they're beefier. Sorry you gotta spend more bucks!

I have also been considering this kit. Are the T2 CV joints and stub axles the same as Type 181 and will the CV joints bolt into a T1 transmission? Which T2 years will work with the Wolfgang or Wagenswest kits? They are a lot more plentiful than Things!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

bacres wrote:
I'll post a few pics once completed. Very Happy

Please do Wink

CruisinMark:
The CV joints themselves don't "bolt in" to a T1 tranny, per se, that's not how it works: the CV joints bolt onto the final drive flanges on the tranny. So what you do is remove the T1 final drive flanges from the T1 tranny and install T2 final drive flanges on the T1 tranny, THAT'S what works. And yes, the T2 and T181 FD flanges are the same, they slip onto the splined final drive shafts and circlip into place.

Whether the stub axles are the same between T2 and T181, I am pretty sure they are, but better to check with the vendors to confirm, I don't know if the spline lengths or shoulders changed over the years. It's been at least 20 years since I did mine, and I'm running 944 hubs in the rear, not T2 brake drums. In a perfect world, we could run the massive 930 CVs, but they don't clear the frame horns on an early Bus without notching or other heavy mods.

But to summarize, the T2/181 CVs are bigger with a larger diameter, therefore the FD flanges and axle stubs must be changed to match the larger diameter CVs. And yes, those flanges and stubs will fit T1 trannies and trailing arms. Hope this helps.

Edit: I just found info suggesting T2 and Thing CVs are different...so Google CV joints and BlindChickenRacing, and you'll see what I'm referring to. The difference is Thing CVs are a tad wider, enabling a bit greater angularity than T2 CVs, which make them sound like the better choice.
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Thanks Busstom. I want to IRS the bus, but don't want to slam it, hence the reason I'm considering the 181 CVs for the greater travel angles. Sorry for the hijack!
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

One further question. Do the 944 rear hubs add anything to the rear track width? I previously had a straight axle kit fitted, but could not get the wheels off without disassembling the whole rear end. I have a set of 944 steel trailing arms, hubs and discs that I could potentially use. Do the stock early 15" (large cutout) wheels fit over the brake calipers? My bus is a '57.
bacres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Well, after 3 years, I'm finally getting around to posting a follow up to my camber problem. Per the suggestions, I removed the swing arm's where they were welded to the axle tube. As I stated in an earlier post.. the swing arms were welded with just 3 tact welds on each side.. so, i'm very glad I took on this task as this could have ended very badly had I hit a pot hole doing 60 MPH and the weld's give out. None the less, i removed the old mounts, and purchased the bolt on mounts. I switched out the axle stubs to "Thing" axle stubs, also changed out the flanges on the transmission to match the "Thing" axle. Then completed the task by aligning the front and rear wheels using jack stands and twine. (this was done with the engine and transmission installed). And BOOM!!! Perfect camber!! a belated "Thanks Again" for the Samba Community help on this project. This started out as a "Father/Daughter" project, and we've been at it for 5 years now, but the end is in sight. Got the bus back from paint in July, and we've been working on putting it back together since then.. Should be finished by late spring, early summer... Here are the "BEFORE" Pictures of the camber problem..

And here are the "AFTER" Pictures..

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Excellent, looks like you got it set up the way you want it. Nice of you to follow up with the outcome.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

having your brake lines like that is not a good idea
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

sled wrote:
having your brake lines like that is not a good idea

Here’s how I did my brake lines on my ‘66, still uses the same stock hard lines and flex lines as original.

Simple brackets fabricated from 2” x 3/16” angle iron, one leg was milled down to the same thickness (3mm or .118”) as the factory frame bracket to allow the retaining clip to hold the end of the flex line.

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Type 2 split screen bus converted to IRS. Camber Problem!! Reply with quote

Once you have the clamp-on pivots where you want them, you should run a couple of tack welds to make sure they don't shift under load. Thats what I did to my IRS'd bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: