Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil bath filter - replacement of fibers??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
feraltervw60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

In my 1960 bug, 1200 / 36 hp engine, I note that some fibers appear in the oil of the bottom part of the filter. It seems if the fibers are getting old and if it desintegrates...
Is it possible to replace this filbers?? I dont want to replace the filter for a paper or other one..
Thanks for your answers Wink
Kind regards
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

Fibers are same as the original seat pads, made of coconut outer shell fibers. Would imagine you could work in more new coconut fibers into there if need be.
feraltervw60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Fibers are same as the original seat pads, made of coconut outer shell fibers. Would imagine you could work in more new coconut fibers into there if need be.

My fear is that small fibers go through the carburator to the motor... Is it possible? Or do they only fall into the oil of the bottom part of the filter? Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

feraltervw60 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

My fear is that small fibers go through the carburator to the motor... Is it possible? Or do they only fall into the oil of the bottom part of the filter? Thanks

Might be possible, but even if they do tis not a worry. They are burnable and not going to cause the galling of metal.
feraltervw60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

OK, Thank you very much!!

Best regards
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

When you change the oil, it's also the time to clean the air filter sludge and change the oil in the filter. Note the oil capacities being so convenient for the leftover to go into the filter housing
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

You're also supposed to clean the coir fibers in the filter top if they get particularly dirty over time. To do so, pour some kerosene into the inverted filter top and swirl it around for a bit, then pour the kerosene out and let the filter air dry. The kerosene serves both to clean the excess dirt off the fibers as well as make them slightly sticky, thus more effective at attracting and holding dirt/dust.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: oil bath filter - replacement of fibers?? Reply with quote

Sorry to barge in on this thread but I wanted to thank Mukluk for the kerosene tip. I wasn’t aware of the sticky fact.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: