Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

I power washed my garage the other day to prepare to paint. The crack I sealed up with clear outdoor silicone was applied a year ago and dried as normal. After power washing I now have soft sticky silicone that has "uncured"?

The structure is masonry block with something over top, what ever they used in 1950, then painted with latex masonry paint 10 years ago.

1. What did I do wrong?

2. What is the best method to remove it solvent wise after I scrape the majority out?

3. What should I replace it with?

Garage last winter:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

I think thay may of been just what ever it was put on or painted with, on another note...on my old bug I had a clamp I made to clamp to a header tube to support the muffler/anti vibration. it was SS, half a ss tube the same size as header with a stud welded to it. it just held on with std SS hose clamps. I put ultra blue sily cone between the header tube and the "saddle clamp" when I installed it. it was probably 3 or 4 years befor I ever took it of for something. the sily cone was still goooey....4 years of daily fun driving and still goooey. witch I would rather have than dried up sily cone and h20 getting between there and rusting the tube.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Maybe it has something to do with it being July 5th and you still have snow on the ground.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

1 Don't know - any chance it was past its expiry date when applied? Any solvents in the garage that could have affected it?

2 I'd try silicone bath sealant remover

3 Fix the cause of the crack if it hasn't already been fixed then - if the crack is stable fill it with a slurry grout made with neat cement or cement with just a little fine sand. If there's a risk of it moving I'd secure metal plates or straps across the crack set in to the wall, then grout, then fill over the plates. If the crack is in a corner where two walls meet, use 90 degree brackets to secure the walls together.

That's basically what I did to fix settlement cracks in our 1950s house (UK, so brick and block) when I renovated it.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

First off you cannot paint silicone will not adhere. Chisel out as much as you can, then apply some paintable caulking, ie latex or polyurethane. Allow to cure before painting.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Did you power wash with any chemicals? Also, watch the labels. You need a caulk that is 100% silicone. If it is paintable caulk, that stuff does break down and shrink, it's usually called latex caulk, which goes around windows and doors, but needs to be painted so it doesn't break down as easily when water hits it.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Update:
I actually found the tube in my garage and it expired several years ago, I'm too embarrassed to tell you the expiration date as well as surprised it even has an expiration date. Don't trust clean looking products in your garage. After all of your comments and also reading several other sites regarding the same problem I have my answer which is just like all of you said "ITS OLD AND EXPIRED". I have learned a very good lesson, when the label has an expiration date it means it may not work properly and that goes 10X on silicone caulking. I was very surprised that this stuff expires in the first place. Now for my search for "silicone bath sealant remover" thank you for that suggestion Who.Me. I did read I can use denatured alcohol as a solvent or Goof Off so I think I'm good to go.

Yesterday I purchased the proper masonry caulk and used it on some other cracks and I'll start cleaning out the silicone caulk once I complete painting all the other sides as we are approaching another storm tonight.

I am so very grateful for this site with brilliant people that motivate me to power through solving problems.
Thanks again professors.

Who.Me? wrote:
1 Don't know - any chance it was past its expiry date when applied? Any solvents in the garage that could have affected it?

2 I'd try silicone bath sealant remover

3 Fix the cause of the crack if it hasn't already been fixed then - if the crack is stable fill it with a slurry grout made with neat cement or cement with just a little fine sand. If there's a risk of it moving I'd secure metal plates or straps across the crack set in to the wall, then grout, then fill over the plates. If the crack is in a corner where two walls meet, use 90 degree brackets to secure the walls together.

That's basically what I did to fix settlement cracks in our 1950s house (UK, so brick and block) when I renovated it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

and yes you can paint silycone calk and sily cone sealers.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
and yes you can paint silycone calk and sily cone sealers.

You can paint silicone , but the paint will not adhere.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Check the caulk maker, some require primer on the substrate for adhesion. Keep in mind caulk is not meant to fill a crack, but to keep a joint water tight. Foam backer rod in the joint before caulk means the caulk sticks to the sides only, and can flex as the joint works.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Silicone is one of the greatest marketing success stories for selling a crap product in recent history!

About the only good use for silicone caulk is fish tanks...... and maybe not even that good for them!

Everyone is CONVINCED that if a product has silicone in it, it is a superior product.

Silicone caulk quite simply is crap.
Many products with silicone in them are crap.
Silicone has its uses, we've gone way beyond that.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Wow djkeev very interesting information. Please share more about both the good & bad of silicone. I used it for years as our biology students were required to build bio-systems in my tech lab. We used aquarium grade silicone (the other silicone kills fish) and I always thought it was amazing. But After my experience with expired silicone never curing I'm very interested to hear more about this product.

djkeev wrote:
Silicone is one of the greatest marketing success stories for selling a crap product in recent history!

About the only good use for silicone caulk is fish tanks...... and maybe not even that good for them!

Everyone is CONVINCED that if a product has silicone in it, it is a superior product.

Silicone caulk quite simply is crap.
Many products with silicone in them are crap.
Silicone has its uses, we've gone way beyond that.

Dave

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

Just make sure whatever you use says paintable on the tube, oh and the expiration date is good to go.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

One of the issues with silicone caulk is if you use it on limestone, marble, travertine the oils in the caulk stain the adjacent stone and make it look like....silicone stained stone.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

I’ve been in the building industry for a long time, I’ve yet to see any aged silicone in good shape.
It is used on vehicles in an attempt to seal leaks, it does for awhile until it fails.
Go into any public Bathroom (or maybe the one in your house) and take note of the failed silicone based caulk with multiple layers applied on top of it.

Never never never have I seen a bead of silicone caulk that has held up.
Yet I see it used all
Over the place like a magic potion.

A good caulk? Lexel is high on my list as is phenoseal.

Got auto glass? Please use a quality 3M sealant.
Silicone also makes the next auto repair more difficult for nothing sticks to where the silicone was!

Horrible horrible horrible stuff!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone caulk breaks down when power washed? Reply with quote

djkeev. Thanks. Very cool reviews on the Level, they call it the duck tape of caulks. And handle up to 400% joint movement. Very impressive.

"Lexel is waterproof, immediately upon application and never freezes, which means it can be applied even in the wettest or coldest of conditions."

https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

I'm dodging rain now therefore I'll pick some up.
I also like your suggestion on Phenoseal caulk.

Interesting that the Phenoseal is also used as a bonding product and it expands & contracts too.

http://www.phenoseal.com/product_details.aspx?product=12

djkeev wrote:
I’ve been in the building industry for a long time, I’ve yet to see any aged silicone in good shape.
It is used on vehicles in an attempt to seal leaks, it does for awhile until it fails.
Go into any public Bathroom (or maybe the one in your house) and take note of the failed silicone based caulk with multiple layers applied on top of it.

Never never never have I seen a bead of silicone caulk that has held up.
Yet I see it used all
Over the place like a magic potion.

A good caulk? Lexel is high on my list as is phenoseal.

Got auto glass? Please use a quality 3M sealant.
Silicone also makes the next auto repair more difficult for nothing sticks to where the silicone was!

Horrible horrible horrible stuff!

Dave

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: