Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

column bracket
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: column bracket Reply with quote

Question for the buggy guys. I'm putting in a new column in my buggy, and was wondering if any of you have ever used this bracket to anchor the lower portion of the column, and if so how did you do it. Could you use the back of the fire wall? seems to me the fire wall is pretty strong to hold this up... Any thoughts? And thanks for any feed back..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I used a 2" column and ran it through the firewall. At the firewall, I used this for the lower mount.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Steering-Column-Mount-2-Inch,95024.html
Easy to mount and secures the column from twisting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

jbsx127, what was the length of your column?. I had to shorten mine from 28'' to 25''. That was a considerable amount of work. But the 2'' tube from the column doesn't go through the fire wall completely. It more or less looks like the one in the picture. I have a ididit upper mount on the column, but I need to brace it better, some where on the lower side. When I turn the wheel from side to side, the column moves slightly as well. Doesn't feel safe , makes me a bit nervous to take it out like that.... The one in this pic, is braced twice, if you notice...

jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I used a 30" column on a manxter. It ran through the firewall for an inch or 2, and than I set up my u joints and D bar to the steering box.
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

If your column comes close to the firewall, you might use a bracket like the link I posted and make spacers secured to the firewall and to the column bracket. It's really only to steady the column and to prevent the column from spinning.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

Thats a thought... I'll have to draw something up and see. Thanks...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

Think this DIY clamp was on my buggy when I first got it, may have been improved during buggy restoration ...

Anyway column appears to go through fire wall... Clamp just appears to be muffler clamp with a tab welded on...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I love the imagineering of the original buggy builders to come up with something like that.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

Always a thought to consider!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Question for the buggy guys. I'm putting in a new column in my buggy, and was wondering if any of you have ever used this bracket to anchor the lower portion of the column, and if so how did you do it. Could you use the back of the fire wall? seems to me the fire wall is pretty strong to hold this up... Any thoughts? And thanks for any feed back..

What are you using for a steering column? Will you need to use 1 or more universal joints? That can have an impact on your choices. Using a stock '62-'67 Bug column and shaft all the way to the box is likely the easiest if possible.

My first buggy was a Manx clone with a stock steering setup. I passed the column through a hole in the dash and bent a strip of aluminum to support the bottom. It was held to the column with a hose clamp and to the firewall with single bolt. I did have to rotate the box a little on the beam to keep the steering box and column in a strait line.

With my Mini-T I needed a longer steering shaft and the stock column wouldn't reach the firewall. A more creative solution was required. It is also based on the common '62-'67 Bug column. I have a couple pictures in my album here on theSamba, but that extended setup doesn't apply to most Manx style buggies. There are no fasteners attaching the steering column to the body.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I have a after market column similar to the ididit column's. The buggy has a rack and pinion set up with splines just below the universal joint. Only one joint. The set up was there when I got the buggy, it worked well. The reason for the switch was that it had a tilt, and the tilt gear broke, It would just wiggle up and down. Didn't want to get into repairing it, it was cheaper to get the new column. It has tilt as well. But I had to modify the new column to get it to fit. I have a few options now with the help of everyone here. Still working on it. Will post as I go along. Thank again everyone.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I will be of little help as my buggies have been based on stock VW steering. However, every buggy is different and every buggy builder has unique experiences for it. Hopefully some members with experience using street rod style aftermarket steering columns will be around these parts to help out.

Any additional pictures you can post of the new column, the steering box, the U-joints you have, and anything else that helps others see what you have and how it lines up (or doesn't) should help improve your responses.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

With a center mount steering rack you should have 2 u joints to get the wheel to the drivers side. In order for the steering wheel to be secure and not move the shaft connected to the wheel will need 2 supports. I would not mess around and just replace the shaft with new u-joints and supports. Kartek sells all those goodies.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

My Buggy uses a piece of one inch wide 16 gauge steel bent to the angle of the firewall and steering column and dash and column. I bolted it to the firewall and hose clamped it to the steering tube at the dash and firewall.

It's been that way for 17 years and holds it tight. I never even bothered to paint it at the time since I planned to change it ....but never did.

It works great.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: column bracket Reply with quote

I used a fumble style flange bearing https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10775

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: