Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Sniper Conversions.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I have been searching the samba this AM because I remember an Ad here for a company that did Sniper modifications. I can't seem to find their add this morning... I blew my motor, so in the rebuild budget, I am adding a Sniper system.

Any recommendations? Is this an Ad I imagined?
jroza1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

For those interested... Some detective work confirmed who I was looking for as https://www.red-emotorsports.com/services

Josh
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

For the life of me I have no idea what a sniper system is. Could it be the old DTM pictured in your link?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
For the life of me I have no idea what a sniper system is. Could it be the old DTM pictured in your link?

Its an EFI kit:

Holley Sniper EFI

To the OP, check the performance forum or over on ShopTalk.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I bought a '72 bus last fall that has has a set of after marked dual carbs on it. I've only driven it about 5 miles so far because I hate the way it drives with the carbs and the warm up procedure because it has no chokes. I had originally intended on converting it to fuel injection from a later bay, I have an entire set-up from a '77.
I have been reading up on the Holley Sniper and am really impressed with what I've seen. I like that there is so much packed into that throttle body. The ECM, MAP sensor, injectors, intake air temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, idle control, throttle position are all right there in one piece. All you need to do is hook up an oxygen sensor, and a couple wires. The right now is only $804 and it comes with a Bosch wide-band oxygen sensor, temp sensor, and the touch screen display that is also used to set it up with your engine.
I'm not sure how well this will work with the bus engine particularly when it's cold outside being that it is a throttle body injection but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just ordered one and will see what I can do with it.
I'll be using one of those aftermarket intake manifolds for the single carbs to mount it. I'll need to add a high pressure fuel pump and a return to my fuel tank as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I just ordered one and will see what I can do with it.

If anyone can put it through its paces, it will be you. You putting this on a "typical" engine? No reversed WC? That thread is still epic, btw.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
I just ordered one and will see what I can do with it.

If anyone can put it through its paces, it will be you. You putting this on a "typical" engine? No reversed WC? That thread is still epic, btw.

Thanks Addict- No, no engine conversion on this one, the engine and transmission are in place and in great shape.
That 1.8t/ 5 speed bus was a fun project, I still see it for inspection and oil changes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

the only thing i have to wonder is how that would work in a center mount configuration.

i swear there was a thread bumping around here on the sniper efi....performance section maybe? as i recall holley was super helpful in getting it set up.

i have to admit, i'm with andrew here. carbs are fine for what they are but FI is where it's at.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I would think a center mount throttle body setup on a type 4 would have the exact same problems as a center-mounted carb: the fuel would condense in the intake runners without heat. Port injection would be MUCH better...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I would think a center mount throttle body setup on a type 4 would have the exact same problems as a center-mounted carb: the fuel would condense in the intake runners without heat. Port injection would be MUCH better...

I agree wit this 100%! I'm still going to give it a shot. I may considering warming the intake like VW did for the bug engines. I really wish Holley would make this identical unit but with port injectors.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/adapting_a_sniper_efi_system_to_a_vintage_volkswagen/

nice system

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Are you tired of struggling with the old Autolite model 1100 series carburetor on your classic Ford?
Does your street cruiser currently hesitate at extreme temperatures?
The team at Holley has designed the perfect solution for your problems. The Sniper EFI replacement throttle body for Autolite 1100 carburetors will be right at home on most early in-line 6 cylinder powered grocery getters or weekend cruisers. Sniper EFI offers superior throttle response and wide-open throttle power. Put an end to cold start issues, hesitations, vapor lock, and flooding. Upgrade to Sniper EFI and get the tactical accuracy of EFI today!
Features:
Bolt-On Sniper EFI throttle body replacement for Autolite 1100 Carburetors
Designed with a mounting flange to fit the intake manifolds that originally had Autolite 1100 carburetors installed. Applications include 1963 – 1967 Inline 6 Cylinder Ford engines, from 144ci to 300ci.
Such engines were commonly found in Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane, and various Ford trucks.
Throttle body mounted ECU – no extra boxes to mount
Supports up to 175 HP with One 100lb/hr Injector
Only 4 Wiring Connections Required! (Battery +, Battery - , Switched Ignition & RPM)
Internal fuel pressure regulator eliminates the hassle of plumbing an external fuel pressure regulator (Preset to 58.5 PSI)
Integrated ignition timing control
High Resolution Full Color Touchscreen for Initial Setup, Tuning, and Gauge Displays
Simple Calibration Wizard (answer a few questions about your engine and it creates the base map, then starts tuning on its own!) - NO laptop required!
Self-tuning ECU means you don’t have to be a computer/tuning wiz to have EFI!
The included Genuine Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband Oxygen Sensor provides realtime Fuel Map Learn!
OEM Style TPS/IAC and Fuel Pressure regulator, for years of dependable service
Included clamp-on oxygen sensor kit for 2" exhaust ensures a leak free oxygen sensor installation, with Stainless Steel T-Bolt clamps and a Stainless Steel (Weldable) oxygen sensor flange

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

tuning a SniperEFI turbo baja

Link

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the only thing i have to wonder is how that would work in a center mount configuration.

i swear there was a thread bumping around here on the sniper efi....performance section maybe? as i recall holley was super helpful in getting it set up.

i have to admit, i'm with andrew here. carbs are fine for what they are but FI is where it's at.

I'm planning on trying to get it up and running during the warm months here and without doing anything to warm the intake and then as the colder months come just see how it is.
Maybe something like this could be used to wrap the intake and be triggered to turn on below a certain temp?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

I agree wit this 100%! I'm still going to give it a shot. I may considering warming the intake like VW did for the bug engines. I really wish Holley would make this identical unit but with port injectors.

Just order two & there you go, port-esque Sniper F.I. : )
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

Do the after market injection systems that replace carbs have venturi? If not then there would be less icing, but it could still be present. L-jet sprays right into the hot head intake ports. There is no fuel in the manifold runners to lower temperatures so manifold/runner heating is not needed.

What I like about L-jet is that all you need to do is collect the parts and put them on.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I find this really intriguing, if it's tuneable there may be a way to get around some of the single mount Weber issues, of course a heated center section (preferably by exhaust gases) would be the way to go, but it'll be interesting to see how much you can overcome just using computer code.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I ordered this unit back in early July, after a few weeks I contacted them and they said it was on back order until early September. I just contacted them again today and was told "We apologize for the shipping delay. As of today, the next estimated shipping date is 10/15/21".
Still looking forward to trying it out on my '72.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

kudos for the update, The trick would be two, one on each side instead of the center.

The puddling issue may go away anyway. I may have already said this but FI doesn't have the same issues as a carb with a venturi that creates the colder temp and venturi icing. The fuel is pushed in under pressure instead of being drawn in by a vacuum difference.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
the next estimated shipping date is 10/15/21".

i have to wonder if this is due to the EPA crackdown on the automotive aftermarket Confused

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

I'm planning on trying to get it up and running during the warm months here and without doing anything to warm the intake and then as the colder months come just see how it is.
Maybe something like this could be used to wrap the intake and be triggered to turn on below a certain temp?

The need for "carb" heat will not go away, because you are still evaporating the same weight of fuel even if it is pressurized and still expanding the same weight of air as it goes past the throttle plate, but you should be able to get by with just supplying warm air to the air cleaner intake, which is much easier to do than trying to heat the manifold. Also you can angle your intake manifold runners so they drain slightly towards the heads and basically copy the common later progressive centermount center manifold design, it does a nice job of making sure that fuel can not settle out. You would have to work this in with any required plenum volume though.

The air preheat stove pieces from the carbureted 72-74 models are typically available in The Samba classifieds. This was my early rendition to get heat to the carb inlet, it worked but was a little slow to produce heat due to the mass of the heat exchangers. I later converted it over to use the 72-74 preheat pieces and am very happy with the results.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: