Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

I have bought a bus last Friday. Here it is:

It was sold as rust free. I've done enough with old german cars to know that its NEVER rust free. So here is some foam rot I found.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But that's okay, is REALLY IS straight and very very sound.

I've emptied it out and cleaned it up. The bus came with a LOT of parts. Many of which never started on this bus and are destined for the rubbish bin. Ratty door cars and whatnot.

The 914 is boxed in right now with bus parts. I drive the 914 all over, so this can not stand!
And I'm also clearing out space in the wood shop to add more bins of bus parts.

The bus runs and drives and stops. And supposedly the engine was recently rebuilt to stock proportions. I've run it around the property and it does in-fact run. But it came with another TIV motor. So, as I'm a 914 guy I may build up a TIV for the bus. Or not. Dunno yet.

My plan of attack is thus:
1) replace all the stuff that will cause the bus to burn up in my garage as I'm moving it around. So new ethanol rated fuel lines. Move plastic fuel fittings to brass. Rebuild the carbs (it has dual webers on it now). New fuel filters. The parts have been ordered, just need them to come in and find time.

2) fix all the stuff that may cause me to die. The brakes were (supposedly) rebuilt, but they stick really bad and the drums and backing plated are very rusty, so I'm going to rebuild them and get them adjusted. Maybe all they need is adjustment, but I always assume the worst and hope for the best. The parts are all on order, just need them to get here.

3) PAINT! Right now the bus in in a mystery primer. I'm going to spray it inside and out with epoxy to encapsulate what ever is going on there paint wise. Then do my blocking and smoothing. Then high build primer and color. I'm going single stage color, but may put clear over it. Though the folks at BAPS autobody supply have said I won't need to. The bus will be going to its stock Elm Green. All the paint got picked up yesterday.

PLANS:
Mostly stock looking exterior.

Westy interior using as much of the cabinetry as I can from stock. New door panels, etc. And I don't know that I'll put carpet in it, I may go with a floor. But my girlfriend is in charge of that aspect.
Honestly I dislike the cabinets. I'd rather have a big bench that folds into a big bed. But.... I'm not in charge of the interior.
Motor - it will stay aircooled for now. But whether its the stock motor in it, or a bigger TIV, or even a Corvair 6 remains to be seen. My goal is that this bus will be able to flat tow the 914.

Too many words - more pics of where we are starting:
up on the lift for inspection.

Look Ma! No rust! The little bits of orange are due to the recent monsoons that have swept over the Mid Atlantic area, and the fact that the floor is currently BARE. No paint. At all. It does not look like it was replaced, as the undercoating is there on the bottom. The seller said that the bus had been partially blasted to bare metal, and I guess the floor never got primered.

canvas from the pop-top is in good shape. Both doors are from different vehicles. One is white, the other is lime green.

Amy (My GF) wants to change the pop-top to the later style that will allow someone to sleep up there. I'm not yet sold on this, but it would not be that hard to do. I'm just happy to be able to stand up. The canvas on the pop-top is almost perfect.

Okay, pretty good first post for a build thread. Lets go make something!
Zach
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Nice progress. You should put everything in the original post as it will make it easier to keep track of progress.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

First couple questions.

I'm going though and doin an inventory of the boxes of parts that came with the bus. But there is some stuff I think I am missing.

What does the door stop look like for the sliding door? The part missing in the pic below.

Is there a place where I can buy the various small parts I may need as I go though the bus?

Thanks!

Zach
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Check out Colin's post on sliding door refresh:
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9144

Lots of other good info on that site too.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

About a 1/2 day of work before I had to stop and pack up for Boy Scout camp tomorrow.

Started my work session by taking the 914 out for about an hour of southern PA Amish country back road carving. Its important to get in the right frame of mind for working on an aircooled vehicle.

Okay, that done I started working on the brakes to investigate why they were sticking so bad for "recently rebuilt" brakes. After a lot of futzing with the drum adjusters I was finally able to get the drum off.

Its pretty clear that the "rebuild" did not include removing the hub to get at all the stuff behind it. Note the broken springs, shoes out of alignment, etc. No wonder they were sticking! On the good news column, the pads look to be about new, and the drums were not grooved or showing excessive wear, and the cylinder looks to be in good shape.

My 46mm impact socket has yet to come in, so this was as far as I could get. But all this mess is getting cleaned up with new hardware.

Since I could not go father here, I decided to take care of the axles. To my frustration the PO had not used the proper triple square bolts. I've been guilty of it too, but Allen bolts strip really easily. I only had 1 start to strip, and caught it early. A little tapping and pressure on my wrench and I was able to get it out without needing to break out the welder.

I got the rebuilt axles out and they were totally dry. So I spent some time massaging grease into the CVs, and then bagged them up. I also cleaned all the backing plates and bagged them up so they would not walk away on me.

All the greasy allen bolts got pitched. New triple square bolts ready to go I started looking for my bag of schnorr washers... and could not find them. So, fine. I just ordered another bag from BelMetric and they will come in while I'm at camp.

So I was not able to finish anything, but I got several things started and won't take that long to finish up when the rest of the parts come in this week. I need to get the brakes and axles done before I start to paint, which I really want to have done by the end of August.

I also did confirm that I am in fact missing the door stop for the sliding door. D'oh! I'll need to find one somewhere. But I don't THINK I need that for when I start painting the bus.

Amy has also been sanding the doors and anything else that still has shiny paint on it. She has a work list while I'm camping with the scouts this week. I expect to come home to the bus fully stripped on the outside and ready to be washed (again) and get epoxy sprayed on.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Today I got back from a week of camping with the Boy Scouts. Post shower and nap, I went and unboxed all the parts that came in last week. Still waiting for tires, but I don't need those yet. Since the 46mm impact socket came in I knocked loose the axle nuts.

Things behind the hubs looked better then expected. I did not have much time to play so ill dig back into it tomorrow. But I should have the rear brakes done tomorrow.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

A couple mini pre-paint projects have been completed on the bus.

Rear brakes have been completed.
Both drums looked like this inside:

No wonder they were sticking. The PO "rebuilt" his brakes by adding pads and cylinders but never taking off the hub or fixing any of the broken centering springs.

So, stripped them down. Took off the flakey rust off the backer plate with a wire wheel. Cleaned the dickens out of the adjusters, polishing them up and coating them liberally with copper high temp antiseize.

Pads went back on. All new hardware and pins so all the springs are hooked up again. The pads looked like they had never been used. Probably because the brakes would stick so bad the bus was undriveable.

And finally new drums. The old ones were probably fine, they were not cracked or overly worn. But I had new so I went with new.

The other mini-project was replacing the axles.
Axles both had torn boots, so they came out and new ones went in.

While I was doing brakes and axles, my GF Amy has been working on marking and disconnecting the wire harness. We will be putting in a new harness as this one was pretty corroded, and the spade terminals were coming off as we tried to clean them. We are labeling the old harness so we can refer to it when putting the new one in after paint.

The only other mini-project I want to do before paint (after the harness is out) is replace the fuel lines. The tanks has already been pumped empty.

And finally... I'm thinking heavily about taking the 2056 TIV from my 914 and putting it in the bus. There have been several 914 motor swaps that I know of, and this engine is pretty strong and runs cool under load, has 2x the power of a stock motor and is totally fuel injected. A 2.3L TIV stroker would go back into the 914 upping my power from 130hp now to around 160+.

The 914 runs so well right now... Its hard to pull the motor out even knowing something better would be going in. But I have a while before I need to worry about that. At least till next spring if I can stay on schedule. And using the stock 1700 in it now would be fine for a while, it just needs the carbs rebuilt.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Not much done lately as I have been traveling. Hopefully the last trip until fall.

While I was out I got news that the tool chest I ordered back in February was finally in. After about 20 years of playing with old cars, I had tools in 2 different chests and tools in every corner of the shop. Goal was to get a chest big enough to hold them all, and get rid of the smaller chests. Also clean the garage and make space.

So all day Saturday was spent running to the store to get them, dragging them home, figuring out how to safely get nearly 1000 pounds of crate off the trailer single handed and without a fork lift.

Mounting the top chest to the bottom was a piece of cake, though I did have to move the bus out of the bay so I could use the lift.

The dowel rod at the lower right of the pic was used as a roller. Once the lift had the upper chest high enough I just started pushing it on the the lower section. Using the dowel as a roller made this really easy. And it impressed my girl who was sure it would not work. Cool Smile

Finally around midnight the old chests were empty. Garage shelves were free and ready to accept BUS PARTS. And the new tool chest was filled and in its new home.

The smallest and oldest of the chests got sold over FB marketplace and was gone in an hour. The larger old chest I'm offering to family if they have need, or may sell if they don't want it, OR it may get lugged to the wood shop to hold those tools.

Only issue with the whole deal is that I kicked up a ton of old dust in the shop and my allergies are running wild this evening.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Making progress, slowly. The wiring harness is taking more time and effort to remove then I had planned for. Its just a total mess. And I've got a head cold, so everything is foggy and taking longer.

The rear wiring is actually in pretty good shape. A little corrosion here and there, but its not at all bad.

The front through.... This puppy had clearly sat out with the windshield off and the PO got frustrated and started breaking wires. Galvanic corrosion is everywhere. Along with what looks to be plaster or drywall crumbles packed into the fuse panel. Its going to need to be replaced.

None of the wires came off by hand. They all had to be removed using needle nose plyers. One was so corroded that the female connector just fell apart on removal. Fun times.

From the fuse panel to the dash I have some wires connected, some not, several broken. I have at least one large guage wire that is burned for several inches, and a couple small gauge red wires that all have burn marks and bare corroded copper showing.. I know they all need to be replaced, but am REALLY resisting the urge to just cut them and figure it out on the back end.

I'll be out working on it again tonight and need to find a new fuse board to go in it.

I still want to try and save as much of the fuse forward wiring as I can, but at the very least I'll be crimping on all new ends, and probably need to replace several of the wires. One way or another it gets done this weekend so I can get epoxy on the bus Sunday morning.

Zach
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

vacca_rabite wrote:

Zach

Don't forget to register that thing over at the Wild Westerner thread Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527392
72 Baja
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Mini project Saturday! I restored the fuse box.

It started looking like this:

Corrosion everywhere. Broken female spade connectors jammed in place. Filled with sand and totally blue green with corrosion.

I was not able to find a new or refurbished unit, so I spent this afternoon dealing with it.

Hoping to get another 50 years of service out of it.
Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Short Sunday update.

Having gotten frustrated with wiring, today I move on to another pre-paint issue which was cleaning the cab of the bus.

The cab was the only area that had not been stripped. And I had no intension of doing so either, as there was no rust to correct. But it was really grimy so I got out some mild cleaner and started cleaning as paint prep.

And the paint started coming off! Crap! Maybe the cleaner was too strong? I was just some of my SO's Theives cleaner (essential oil hippy non-toxic soap stuff). Anyway, I went to just water and the paint STILL kept coming off. It was like it never set. If you rubbed on it with a damp rag it came right up with the consistency of house paint! I've never seen such a thing.

When I started cleaning this whole seat was green. Passenger side was the same. I figured on the drivers side that maybe brake fluid had leaked down and messed up the paint. But NO CLUE what why it would be on the pass side too.

So... clearly can't put epoxy over paint with such adhesion issues. Paint gets pushed back at least another week while I finish pulling wires out AND strip the cab down to primer if not bare metal. I don't think this is original paint, but it was old. Well, old enough to be grimy and in need of cleaning before I put epoxy sealer over it.

The good news here is that I did a test tonight with my stripper disks (its late and I don't want to run air tools on a Sunday night...) in about 5 seconds I had gone down to bare metal. So It should only take me an afternoon to strip all the green bits of the cab down to bare metal.

If anyone has thoughts about what happened, I'd love to hear them.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

After a bunch of little jobs, finally got some paint squirted on the bus this past weekend.

But, it came with some frustration.

First we discovered we had to pull all the green paint off the engine shelf - which meant all the tar had to come up too.
I used a torch...

Amy used a heat gun...

After a lot of scraping, washing, scrubbing, etc... I was finally able to start spraying epoxy on the engine shelf and the bay floor!

Since I had extra paint in the cup, I ran a test to see what would happen if I sprayed epoxy on the green house paint. As expected, the solvents in the epoxy started bubbling the latex. (again, WTF would cause someone to paint a car with house latex?!)

Since I kinda knew I had to strip the rest of the front of the cab anyway (see also the paint runs, etc.) but it was a good test. But clearly I'm going to need to spend some more quality time with the heat gun, a scraper, and a paint grinder.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Now what?

The bus interior is fully in epoxy primer.
I’ve got the majority of the body imperfections coated in filler and sanded. There will no doubt be more I find but most are done.

The interior has till Wednesday before I’ll need to scuff it before painting. Paint Monday or Tuesday and no scuff needed.

What should my next step be?
Go right from epoxy to color on the interior? Get the exterior in high build primer?

What’s my order of operations?

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Well, I went with covering the epoxy.

Just enough, but it needs at least another coat to even out - green can be a bitch to paint. The paint comes out of the gun REALLY thin - I was expecting somewhat thicker.

I'm honestly not thrilled.
I was rushed last night after a stupid crazy day at work, then kids, then scouts... But last night was the best night I'm going to have this week if I'm going to get the epoxy top coated without having to scuff all the little crevasses. And, frankly, almost all of this is going to be covered. The floor will get some matting. The backs of the chairs will have the Westy furniture covering them. And I can go in with a detail gun and get the tight places I was not able to get with the bigger paint gun. My goal is to be able to mask off the entire drives compartment so I can work in the camper section. Not to mention I need to spray high-build on the exterior and color sand it.

So this isn't perfect, but it does move the ball forward. Maybe tonight I'll be able to get the detail gun out and hit the door sills.

Zach
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Bus has been in deep freeze since November or so, and winter has gone LONG this year. This coming weekend looks to be the first nice weekend of the year, and the goal (if the weather holds) is to get the entire bus in High Build primer by Sunday.

There is another band of cold and storms moving our way (COME ON! BE DONE ALREADY) so work will be dependent on the weather. I need 1 good solid weekend to get it into high build, and another to get it into paint.

As soon as its in paint, we can start putting it all together.

Goal was late May, but that really needed a warm spring, which we did not get. Probably driving in July or September. Hopefully!

Zach
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

I hope the weather works out for you soon, your build looks great. Glad to see another 1972 Westy in progress. I've got a new wiring harness for mine as well, but trying to finish undercoat stripping before I install it.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Well, a little progress. I got all the winter dust an stuff cleaned out of the bus.
Took a 30 mile bike ride sat morning, and laid in 2 coats of epoxy on the remaining interior. Was getting ready to mix color when an unforecast thunderstorm blew in and temps dropped back into the 40s.

Was hoping to paint today but temps are falling again, with a freeze and potentially snow Monday - Wednesday. So I’m hoping Amy will be able to scuff the epoxy Tursday while I’m at scouts, or that I can do it Wednesday. And I can shoot interior color Thursday after work.

At least a little progress.
Zach
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

The green is a pretty color for that bus. Warm weather is coming!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zach's Progress thread on the 1972 Westy Reply with quote

Am I missing a retention track for this cover panel?

This is the "dead" side - no sliding door. I'm trying to figure out how the cover panel attaches at the top.

I'm not seeing the retainer in my parts bins, and it looks like the PO maybe had it just pop-riveted in top center, but I don't really know.

Zach
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: