Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

failure after running without fan belt
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Hey all, i learned hard today

Generator on my 1600dp did not like the desert (dust). It was sparking and smelled like electrical fire. I took out the brushes. Still wouldn't turn well. The coiling in there was all clumped up.

So i ran a jump from my solar accessory battery over to the motor battery, and i took off the generator belt. Apparently that's called the fan belt. I ran my 1968 bus for a few miles and the motor died, maybe i lost compression. I of course overheated. The jumper cable was on fire from touching the hot pipes near spark plug #3. The #2 spark plug wire was burned out and melted.

I'm waiting a tow into Reno. I'll replace the generator and spark plugs and wires. How do I proceed from there to test any hope for my motor?

I've heard to check if i can turn the motor, to check the valve gaps and to ditch the old oil[/code]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

sounds like you done cooked it.

probably no coming back from this without a rebuild. at minimum you pulled case studs

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

The fan belt spins the generator which has a fan attached to the back of it inside the fan shroud that cools the oil and heads. By driving the bus without the belt attached you overheated the engine and possibly destroyed it.

I’m sure more people will chime in. But I’d think you’d have to hope it still spins and isn’t seized. If so, then changed the oil, check the valves, replace the burned up parts and pray to the VW gods it will still run. Back in ‘95 I shredded a belt on a T1 engine in a not so nice neighborhood. I kept on going to my destination because i didn’t have a extra belt and I was scared. Then next day I installed a new belt and the bus fired right up. 2 days later it burned to the ground. Now I always carry a spare belt.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

engine is probably destroyed. Maybe just the cylinders and heads bad but the case can be warped or the bearings seized. Have it flat-bedded home until you can afford to buy a whole new engine. If you are going to try to continue to drive it and fix it there, you might call Bugformance in Sacramento to see what they sell a whole engine for. It is a 2 hour drive down from Reno if you can rent a car. There is also Kombi Haus in Sacramento. There is a place in Reno called Reno Buggie Barn but I know nothing about them other than they are air cooled type stuff. Maybe they could steer you in a direction and help you troubleshoot. (775) 329-0940

Think of what would happen running a water cooled engine without water in it. Same thing.
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
...But I’d think you’d have to hope it still spins and isn’t seized. If so, then changed the oil, check the valves, replace the burned up parts and pray to the VW gods ...
okay it spins, first by hand, then i cranked the key and recorded with my phone, the motor is turning

My plug numbers were misreported: 3&4 burned up the wires, and the plugs are squeaky to wrench out. I'm letting them soak in WD-40 for a moment.

Plug two came out a little dusty looking. These are all new plugs, within a month old. Plug 1 has a clean wire, but the plug is also squeaky to loosen. I'll pull them all soon and inspect

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

I don’t think you are reading what my friends here have said. You cooked the engine. The cylinders will have low compression. The bearings are damaged as well as the crank. There is no magical bandaid to fix it. You’ll need a longblock and a generator. Then you’ll need someone who has the knowledge and tools to fix this.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Put some oil in the cylinders after you get the plugs out and find a friend to do a compression test, that will dictate the next steps
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

I put new plugs and wires in. Now I'm checking the valves. I opened the right cover and it stinks! Barbequed oil. It's dry in there, grey.

Set to cylinder #1, the inner of the two valves is all the way tight, the outer of the two is beyond loose, because the spring top part is way sunk in (stuck in)

I'll put new oil in it and check for compression. Might as well try everything, i got quoted three weeks for a rebuild here in Reno
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Oof. Ya that looks like it got pretty hot - a valve seat or guide might have moved. Those heads don't look good from here.
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Oof. Ya that looks like it got pretty hot - a valve seat or guide might have moved. Those heads don't look good from here.

okay ya i don't know how valves work, i only adjust them. But the valve (rod?) That's supposed to push the lever out is just loose and i can probably get it out at this looseness
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

With that much play yes your pushrod might come right out.

That's a generic Autozone image. Items 2 and 3 (your valve guide and seat) are both pressed in place, usually with the head heated up quite hot in order to make that possible. Your head might have gotten hot enough to allow them to move on their own, which changes where the valve sits at rest. This is a really serious problem and continuing to use the head can result in very serious damage when things finally let loose.
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Okay and now on cylinder #3 the outer valve completely destroyed 8 (valve spring cap)

I might be getting to the end of my testing
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

It looks frozen to the guide. Try prying the valve open with a screw driver to see if it even moves. The push rod is bent for sure.
Check Crags list or the local junk yards for a used motor. There used to be a VW shop right by the place the road (395) splits to go to Reno and Sparks.

Last edited by Starbucket on Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

That's your pushrod, and yes the pushrod tube looks destroyed. Your valve is on the opposite side of the "lever" (which is the rocker).
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Ouch.
I feel your pain,
Been there... twice. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

My recommendation is to save up and get the engine rebuilt correctly.
After getting my engine rebuilt correctly, I've been having such a great time with Chloe...

Summer 2019:
We drove from San Diego CA to Orlando FL over a 3 week period.
Numerous stops along the way... Grand Canyon and New Orleans being two of the highlights... and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

So learn from your mistake, learn more about your van/bus, and have a helluva good time! I did, and am loving it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Skip the compression test. That engine is coming out, for certain. That’s the next step.
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Skip the compression test. That engine is coming out, for certain. That’s the next step.

Scudders Performance in Reno has a newly built 1600dp sitting on a rack for $2400. I have to take everything off mine, take out my (block?) And trade him in his shop
austinzuffi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
It looks frozen to the guide. Try prying the valve open with a screw driver to see if it even moves. The push rod is bent for sure.
Check Crags list or the local junk yards for a used motor. There used to be a VW shop right by the place the road (395) splits to go to Reno and Sparks.

I heard of a yard of VWs up from the 395 in Sun Valley. My motor has about 35k miles since it was rebuilt, so it would be nice to repair it if possible
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

austinzuffi wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I heard of a yard of VWs up from the 395 in Sun Valley. My motor has about 35k miles since it was rebuilt, so it would be nice to repair it if possible

That's true but if everything inside looks anything like what you can see #2400 is a cheap and you are there not in San Fran + they have good Yelp reviews.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: failure after running without fan belt Reply with quote

That 35k is out the window. It’s cooked. Like a roast you put in the oven @500F and then left for the week. I know you don’t want to face this - and I’m one that will try to salvage anything if I can - but your motor is toast. Burnt toast. Black and crusted. All the wishing in the world isn’t going to change reality. Trying to”fix” it isn’t worth the effort and definitely is an underwater situation.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: