Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Not sure what to call it but I have some rust in the front trunk area where the brake fluid reservoir sits and the front beam attaches to the body. I do not see repair panels for this particular area for a 57'. What have you done to fix these areas?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Hey man! You have 3 options available, as I see it.

1.) Buy any good pan and use it.

2.) Buy potions of pans and utilize the good steel for your repairs. Cut and paste the “new to you” steel into the place of the rotted steel.

3.) Buy aftermarket body panels, cross your fingers, cut and hammer the panel until it fits. Click your heels together. Then weld it into place. Then get out your BFH and contour to simulate the old panel.

4.) Buy some steel sheeting and fabricate your needed patches. This one takes some additional tooling, a lot more time BUT you get good results and a sense of accomplishment!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for ? 1954-57
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2172083
or for 57-59 bottom pic.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2240126
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Thanks 56cabrio.... That's it!!

I appreciate the help.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Toxic can you post up a pic. Of your panel. Your car looks really nice, if its the one in your gallery.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

hello aa390392,

The car in my photos was my first oval. Ive been hooked on them since. Here is my current car prior to the beginning of restoration and its current state. Along with pictures of the front clip area. Its not too bad overall but I am going for perfect (perfect for me)and plan on keeping this one!

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Agree needs to go.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Agree. Someone left that repair a giant mess!

That spare tire bottom body panel is not original. It is an aftermarket one. So, don’t feel to bad tossing it and getting another one if needed. And if you invest some time with a hammer and some dollies, you can get the new panel to reflect the OG panel fairly easily. The only part I did not replicate on mine was the punched out wire harness tabs. I did not want holes into the trunk area for moisture to enter.

Here is my thread, go to page 15. I go through my entire process.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=280

Hope it helps!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Love the avatar Toxic,
I may have what you're looking for.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

When you order that panel from virtanen supply him with your body number and he will stamp it in with the correct size stamp. I got one from him and he did that for me.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

Thank you VW_Jimbo. That was extremely helpful. Ill give it my best shot and hope that it comes out as good as yours.

I appreciate all the help from everyone.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair brake fluid/front beam attachment area 57 Oval Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
When you order that panel from virtanen supply him with your body number and he will stamp it in with the correct size stamp. I got one from him and he did that for me.

Just curious if you know.....what does the body number stamp represent? I always thought it was funny that they have those yet your VIN is truly in the plate (and under the rear seat for matching purposes of course)

Can anything be confirmed with those body #'s??

Thx!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: