Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

Yeah. I use reamers pretty regularly. They might be labeled to .0001” but even in a precise setup you can get the bore big or small depending on rpm and feed rate. And the amount of material left before reaming and the concentricity of the tool to the holder and bore. I’d probably take some off the lifters myself at that point. Can always get new lifters. Modify cheapest part first if possible.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
IF you use a reamer, you will fuck it up. The flex hone is the best way to bring it to specs if tight.

Precision reamers are meant for machine tools. Not by hand.
ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!
as for the cam lube use soft springs for all rocker geo testing & refining. yes the cam shield is very good I use it on the cam and the cam shield oil additive for the first back of oil only.as it can cause ash deposits in the chambers and detronation if used rong,.,,, rong is in the regular oil & filter changes.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

Best to bore the hole then bore the bushing, maybe ream the hole, then bore and hone the bushing I.D., only way to get it on proper location to the cam. Reamer's always follow the previous hole, right or wrong.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

I have to bore a case this week. Been some time and I remember enjoying this stuff. Very Happy

Is that a Criterion boring head?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

Yes, and 3/4 dia. Everede bar, line up the cam bore straight, do the offset, takes about 2 min./hole, 3 passes each, rough and finish (CNC) then press the bushings in,( pre-made in the lathe while boring) and repeat, got to sneak up on the bushings, try to get those on size, then remove and drill oil hole, then hone for clearance, ( hone also de-burrs oil cross hole) lot of work, case must be good to warrant the work!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

I always deburr holes & edges before and after honing. how much press fit do you use on lifter bushings?
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lifters "feel" too tight after sleeving Reply with quote

Light press we call it in the T&D biz, about .001, gets tighter as it gets deeper of course Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: