Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy Lithium Battery Price
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

I am think about putting a 50 Ah lithium battery under the drivers seat. Go Westys price for about $290 is much less than others have looked at, what's the catch?

Last edited by Maine on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
what's the catch?

the 500 in hazmat shipping

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Maine wrote:
what's the catch?

the 500 in hazmat shipping

It's $60 shipping to AZ. Just installed one in my van. So far so good, but we'll see how long it lasts.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Where's it made??
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Where's it made??

I don't know, doesn't say. Just big GoWesty stickers on it. My guess is...not here. But how many are?
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

The GoWesty 50Ah lithium battery is $366 with shipping and handling (to Maine) which is $200 less than other batteries. So is there any reason not to but the GW battery?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
The GoWesty 50Ah lithium battery is $366 with shipping and handling (to Maine) which is $200 less than other batteries. So is there any reason not to but the GW battery?

Well, with a 5-year warranty by GW, I couldn't find a reason not give it a try. Like I say, I haven't had mine long enough to have any significant performance history. If you don't buy their hold down bracket, you'll have to fabricate one - the battery is sized to lay on it's side with the posts facing forward, or rearward, and without a hold down it's short city. It will not fit post-up, with connections on it, and fit under the stock "lid". I'd already made a plexi cover for mine for the 3 22AH batteries that I was previously using so it wasn't an issue.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Maine wrote:

If 40Ah will satisfy your needs, fine. Why 40? LiFePO4 batteries shouldn't be used outside their 10-90% charge range for longevity. OK, occasionally charging them to full is OK (like when top-balancing), but it's best avoided.
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

So they need some type of inline charge regulator?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
So they need some type of inline charge regulator?

That should be internal to your battery if it's a good design. However you should check on what BMS (battery management system) the GW battery uses. Most will allow full charge, but will disconnect before complete discharge (which is a real no-no). However, getting a full charge every day is not good for these, nor is storing it at full charge for a period of time. If left unattended for a few weeks, ensure it's no more than 80% charged.

Lithium batteries are fantastic and incredibly long-lasting when used inside their 'happy' envelopes - many thousands of charge/discharge cycles as opposed to hundreds for deep-cycle lead-acid. However - regular excursions outside those envelopes may well make them last no longer than a lead-acid.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Lithium Battery Price Reply with quote

GOWESTY batteries work very well, I own a company which makes electric motor kits for Kayaks, we have been using them for years, I personally have 4 , we used to sell Relion batteries 50ah for $650 and there is no difference except for the price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: