Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Am looking at possibly purchasing a 2013 Outback, it's a limited edition with only 48k miles (main reason I am interested.) Seems to be a very good price as well (right at the same price I paid for another Outback 1-1/2 years ago with twice the mileage.) To top it off it's a very limited color production run (brilliant brown pearl, fewer than 1000 made if what I read was accurate.)

Problem is at some point in its past it was damaged to the point where the insurance company decided to total it, then it was repaired, inspected by state DMV, and given a rebuilt title. Here's a pic of the damage sustained:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts? Anyone ever bought a rebuilt titled vehicle before? What are things to look for to ensure that I am getting a good, solidly repaired vehicle- or should I just walk away?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

That's it... that's the total? Barring supplemental damage I see a bumper cover, tailgate, rebar, maybe a retainer. I don't see it, I've seen and worked on worse at the shop. Unless of course the front is messed or the frame was tweaked and they put it on the machine and pulled it back. Personal opinion, I don't think I'd care how the car is titled as long as it was repaired properly. If a DMV inspected it then I can't see it being poorly done, they'll fail you because one brake locks up better than the rest even if it stops just fine Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
That's it... that's the total? Barring supplemental damage I see a bumper cover, tailgate, rebar, maybe a retainer. I don't see it, I've seen and worked on worse at the shop. Unless of course the front is messed or the frame was tweaked and they put it on the machine and pulled it back. Personal opinion, I don't think I'd care how the car is titled as long as it was repaired properly. If a DMV inspected it then I can't see it being poorly done, they'll fail you because one brake locks up better than the rest even if it stops just fine Laughing

That was my first thought as well when they sent me that photo-- "that's all??"
Makes me wonder why the insurance company totaled it- rest of the car looks perfect from the dealer photos. made me wonder as well if the frame got bent but even then doesn't seem like it could have been all that bad. Just hesitant because I have never dealt with rebuilt title cars before. They are asking $14k- what I paid for a 2016 Outback year and a half ago with 99k miles. Problem is they don't have a record of the repair work done so it's anyone's guess whether something else happened-- is it possible that the insurance company totaled it simply if the airbags went off (not sure if they even did)

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Lack of documentation. I’d pass on that one.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

There's no record of it all? No estimate, no bill, no nothing? That is a bit sketchy. They could have totaled it because they guy didn't want it LOL. If you know the person doing the estimate he could've easily wrote a ridiculous one; Bumper cover... blend both quarters, tailgate... gotta blend the roof too, make sure to paint behind the bumper, etc. There's always more possibilities but I have heard of that happening.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

That's not totaled... this is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
There's no record of it all? No estimate, no bill, no nothing? That is a bit sketchy. They could have totaled it because they guy didn't want it LOL. If you know the person doing the estimate he could've easily wrote a ridiculous one; Bumper cover... blend both quarters, tailgate... gotta blend the roof too, make sure to paint behind the bumper, etc. There's always more possibilities but I have heard of that happening.

Nope, no records of the repair (none that the dealership has anyway except for that photo.) I mean, I assume it was totaled, fixed, and then sold at auction where they bought it. But according to them it had to pass DMV inspection in order for anyone to sell it (but yes you can get around pretty much anything with the right connections.)

It does seem sketchy but man hard to pass that one up with that low mileage for that price. Insurance isn't even any more than it would be on a clean title car. I suppose maybe I could do a Carfax and see if that gives me any more info

1600 SP engine
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Carfax the vin#
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Pictures of it as is now:

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Carfax the vin#

Yep my next step

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Yikes Shocked well this explains a lot
Did a freaking tree fall on it?? photo above shows zero sign of any kind of damage like this

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's not totaled... this is.

That's what carfax is saying happened to this car- did someone fix everything except the right rear and then snap a photo?? WTH is going on

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Damage to undercarriage.... run away.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Damage to undercarriage.... run away.

Will do- just curious how a car that sustained that much damage, got fixed to the point it looks like in that photo above! Confused

1600 SP engine
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

If you plan to drive the car into the ground, a salvage title means nothing.

Some states have additional inspection requirements for rebuilt vehicles--check with your DMV.

If it has a 2.5L engine, 2013 is the first year for the FB-series engine, which has a timing chain instead of a belt. These had a lot of problems the first year, which have since been fixed.

Also, the CVTs are failure-prone; especially if the car has been driven hard like a WRX.

Collision damage on Subarus is incredibly expensive to repair, so it doesn't take a lot of damage to total one. Be sure to get a four-wheel alignment as part of an independent pre-purchase inspection, if you intend to buy it. If the dealer balks about a PPI, run far away.

Last edited by janerick3 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Car with a rebuilt title is only as good as the person's skills that rebuilt it.
You show me a car with a rebuilt title with minimal damage, and It's got a rebuilt title.
My guess is it already has been rebuilt once.
Also at auction, some dicks buy damaged cars, clean them up a bit, hide critical damage, and then flip it a a rebuilder.
Watch a bunch of this guys video's and you get the idea. Vehcor knows what he is doing.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Some states have additional inspection requirements for rebuilt vehicles--check with your DMV.

Arkansas requires a VIN verification from state police before getting it registered that's all

janerick3 wrote:
If it has a 2.5L engine, 2013 is the first year for the FB-series engine, which has a timing chain instead of a belt. These had a lot of problems the first year, which have since been fixed.

Yes it is the FB25, with the TR-690.

janerick3 wrote:
Also, the CVTs are failure-prone; especially if the car has been driven hard like a WRX.

Seems like the main reason those CVTs failed is due to people trusting Subaru of America's ridiculous claim that they used a "lifetime" CVT fluid so it never needed to be changed. People who still got it changed regularly (every 60k miles or so) didn't seem to have any issues.

janerick3 wrote:
Collision damage on Subarus is incredibly expensive to repair, so it doesn't take a lot of damage to total one. Be sure to get a four-wheel alignment as part of a pre-purchase inspection, if you intend to buy it.

Agree with this, but the Carfax report vs that photo just doesn't add up maybe the above poster is correct-- the major damage event happened before, it got fixed, then that rear corner incident. Who knows

1600 SP engine
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Please post those car photos on imgur.com or something - They are not VW/Porsche and will be dead soon as they were already deleted before I saw this thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Please post those car photos on imgur.com or something - They are not VW/Porsche and will be dead soon as they were already deleted before I saw this thread.

Sorry please feel free to delete

1600 SP engine
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Sorry please feel free to delete

The thread and question is fine, just the pics...

If you got your answer and want it removed, that's ok too, please confirm that

Edit: Just read the thread, car sounds sketchy to me.
Special color on some wrecked modern car means nothing IMHO unless you specifically want that color
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: