Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Ragtop Sedan Up Fixing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Up Fixing Reply with quote

On my Pearl white '62 rag top bug, what color would the running boards have been when new, black?

What color were the bumper brackets, also black?

What color(s) were the wheels?

Interior is red/salmon, I'm pretty sure is correct.

Thanks for the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Larmo63 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Nice car!

The running board mats would've been sand beige. The bumper brackets should be matte silver. The outer wheel rims were beige, with pearl white centers. Yes, that brick-red upholstery is correct in Pearl White cars for the '62 model year.

Paint and upholstery color combinations can be found here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Gear shift and parking brake handles are dark silver, I believe that is correct.

Rag top would be white/beige?
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

All colour names and codes for your car are found here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vwcolors_volume_i.php

Shift and hand brake levers are L469 Anthracite, the sliding top cover is Pearl White. Wheel Discs are L479 Clay Beige, the rims are L87 Pearl White. The correct name for the vinyl interior is True Red.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

By the way, I have the same car as you do, and I've tried my best to get it to look right.

Even though I have trim rings, I think I have painted all my wheels original color two tone under them.)

I have an admittedly, canvas sunroof cover, but I finally found one in a color that was off-white like the original. And running board mats in "tan" (Sand Beige)

Silver (metallic grey) bumper brackets.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1171131.jpg

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A-Step-Towards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I’m in the process of parting out a white ‘62. Sold the interior but this was all stock color combo. I have 3 different color rims on it, i think only the rear one is stock, Clay Beige. The fronts looks black and white and the other rear is all dark green or maybe navy. I can’t answer the bumper bracket color as this was very beat and missing bumpers. As far as running boards I’d assume black, my late ‘61 had black rubber and black boards.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Beautiful car Larmo63, glutamoto is there any way you could make you photos show up?? Love to see your car.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Every now and then someone says my photos won't display. I have no idea why, because they are hosted on a open File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server.

( Long Version:

I could use theSamba Photo Gallery, but many times over the years I want to modifiy, edit, replace images with the same link and that is not possible with TheSamba's Gallery. I know that at least twice over the years I had to have Everett go in and delete an image I had posted to the Samba Gallery that I later was horrified that I captioned incorrectly. I strive for accuracy, and with my own FTP, I can refine and correct images without having to bother anyone else.

Also, most of my images are "technical" in nature, and I've always tried to make my images be as compressed as possible and still show the intended detail. I have no idea if compressed jpg images might be part of the problem.

Okay, end of my blabbering)

Access of open FTP images has to be a limitation of your browser or service provider. I can only say you might try a different browser or different device.

I have a lot of photos of my Pearl White 62 Ragtop in TheSamba Gallery, but they are "hero shots" that are part of my Desktop Image library on my computer. I thought that much more down to earth image of the car in my carport showing the top and running boards did a better job so I did that instead. Other detail shots are also part of my personal image library.

As for TheSamba Gallery... I did insert a link to one of them above but did NOT have it display directly because I didn't want anyone to complain that I was "showboating" Also, many of those images are from back when I still had a tan canvas top on the car instead of off-white. Actually, that was pretty decent because it rather matched the running boards, but in the back of my head I knew the top was supposed to be closer to the color of the car.

But I can put some of my TS Gallery shots in directly if you want:

(and I think you can "click to enlarge" almost all of these if you want)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Thanks glutamodo your 62 is also a beauty, always happy to see early bugs close to how they left the factory Smile
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Your car is an inspiration. I haven't driven this car yet.

My build will be a patina build, but you know how these things go. Complete brake job ongoing, then drive to see what else it needs.

I'll post pictures as I go.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I met a guy today at our Porsche cars and coffee who wants to give me a set of vintage pop out windows.

Nice guy!

He sent me pictures already, I'm going to pick them up tomorrow.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Sjstretch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
I met a guy today at our Porsche cars and coffee who wants to give me a set of vintage pop out windows.

Nice guy!

He sent me pictures already, I'm going to pick them up tomorrow.

Wow that is amazing. Congratulations. I need to find some to give me a set for my 64 bug. They are not easy to come by…
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Pop-out windows with a ragtop are a great addition. In the images posted above I notice that only one shows mine open, to the point that one might not even notice that I have them. When I bought the car in Jan 1989, it did not have popouts.

I wasn't given them, I bought them! They came off a 64 a friend was parting out. These are much more than a decorative thing. Let me tell you, having only one of those side windows open makes driving with the sunroof open at highway speeds SO much more enjoyable.

Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I planned to spend all weekend with the car and I find myself sorely missing it. I know I have to wait for the brake parts and we have to do it right, but dang, I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting to play with a new toy.

I love the pictures you posted, Andy.

Thanks. I will keep this thread going and update next week when the car comes back down here.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

One of the rear bearings caused us fits, but now it's done.

'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I'm now hoping to bring it home tomorrow and actually drive it. This has been so frustrating.

I have so many small parts to install and little fixes.

Grrrrrrrr, can't wait to drive it too.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I got the car home, drove it and I am not impressed with the pedal. Almost to the floor!

We bled it twice, I drove it around and it stops, but the pedal is iffy.

Super disappointed, I guess I'm seating the shitty brake shoes and we re-bleed the system.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

I can't complain, I have nice cars, but the bug holds a special place in my heart!
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

It seems like the only shoes you can get nowadays for '58-'64 Beetles can be an absolute bastard to get fully bedded in, but once bedded they do work pretty well. When I replaced the front shoes on my '60 last year it took several dozen aggressive stops interspersed with numerous adjustments to get them to an acceptable level of performance. Keep at it, you'll get 'em working.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Thanks, I've heard that the shoes are out of round a bit and take time.

In the meantime, I'm grabbing the E-brakes at times.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: