Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Ragtop Sedan Up Fixing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

the issue is the title
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Okay, I changed the thread title to "1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping." It has a certain ring to it, methinks.

New Ragtop cover project on deck:

Al Silvas is rebuilding the entire sunroof mechanism to 'as new' and I'm doing a new top, headliner, and all four solid windows out and back in. New seals and chrome trim, obviously.

Sneak peek......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Larmo63 wrote:
I guess I'm done here.

I'm either boring, or this isn't really a forum.

I think I'm boring.

I'm confused on whether you mean you are done upgrading/working on stuff or you are waiting for more replies?

If it's replies, I have been reading and enjoying the thread and car but I had nothing of value to post.
If you want kudos, I like all the work you have been doing - your car looks great!

Yeah, I got bored and finally started reading your thread. Seemed like a normal amount of replies and interest/compliments, so your comment about being "boring" came out of left field. Either that or a veiled plea for sympathy (just kidding Razz )

I think the "Views" count is what to keep an eye on. Anyway, keep the pix coming.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:

I like shiny things.

And your table pedestal is very interesting from a perspective seldom seen.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

It's a pitty you aren't located in Germany. Here you would get a real looking ragtop cover, with welded seams (if this is the correct word for it) as original.
But I like your work on this beautiful little car.

Btw, also like your thread and look every day after news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Larmo63 wrote:

I like shiny things.

And your table pedestal is very interesting from a perspective seldom seen.

It's a Richard Schultz "petal" table.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Sedan Questions Reply with quote

Sjstretch wrote:
Larmo63 wrote:
I met a guy today at our Porsche cars and coffee who wants to give me a set of vintage pop out windows.

Nice guy!

He sent me pictures already, I'm going to pick them up tomorrow.

Wow that is amazing. Congratulations. I need to find some to give me a set for my 64 bug. They are not easy to come by…

If you haven't found any yet, ratlookvw on here has some right now. Great seller.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Ha!

Turns out the set he brought by my house and dropped off while I was at work are later style windows and don't fit my car.

That's okay, I'll move them on. He doesn't want them back.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

My windows arrived yesterday from Kaefer Nostalgie.

Sunroof is out and getting restored, this is going to be nice.

You can see the scratches on the rear window, probably from an ice scraper?

'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Coming along nicely!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:

Just curious, who is doing this restoration? ( Except for some work done in 1992, I've done all the work on my own sunroof Bugs over the years. )

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Larmo63 wrote:

Just curious, who is doing this restoration? ( Except for some work done in 1992, I've done all the work on my own sunroof Bugs over the years. )

"Al Silvas is rebuilding the entire sunroof mechanism"
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Yeah, I should have scrolled up higher, I noticed that later.

I'm not sure if some things can easily be "fixed" on the ragtop mechanism. I've never really needed to change the rollers on any of mine, but I have replaced the rubber seal at the front end under the cover, and done plenty of covers over the years. (now I have Sewfine stayfast canvas colored tops that are the best tops I've ever had) My biggest annoyance of the ragtop mechanism became creaking caused by body flex when the top was closed. I did some various things to fix it, but nothing really worked. So I would have some folded up pieces of cardstock that I would wedge into the works where the top squeezes shut to eliminate these noises. But my sunroof tops got a LOT of use, I put hundreds of thousands of miles on both of my ragtop bugs and would have the top open whenever conditions allowed. I'm sure they were a lot better when everything was brand spanking new.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

It took AL all of 20 minutes to have the whole sunroof pulled off of my car. They are a simple, yet elegant little set up. Everything came apart well with no rust issues apart from the rear corners where the top meets the paint.

I chose pinpoint vinyl from WW made by Acme.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Oh yeah, you can remove it quick enough! Done that many times. It's what to do with it it once it's removed!

You seldom see ragtops with the internal sunroof headlining set up properly. Part of of the problem is that, in my experience, aftermarket headliner under-sunroof center sections are just not wide enough. Otherwise they are made OK. But the other part is that people forget to put the steel rods ("bows") into them, because not many know that they exist... previous owners discarded them decades ago and they are not mentioned in the factory service manuals. I had to make my own from welding rods, which I painted to prevent corrosion.

Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

When my sunroof was disassembled, all parts were accounted for including the stiffening rods. Nothing was bent, no terrible corrosion, and all an easy restoration.

Yesterday, we replaced the clutch kit with new, the old pressure plate had imploded.

'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Larmo63 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Trixy had eye surgery today.

I had ordered US version headlight glass from a well respected VW supplier (Florida) and they sent me Bosch style Euro lenses instead. At first I was a bit put out, but I installed them and they are growing on me.

I took the lights completely apart, cleaned and painted the guts. I'm happy with how they turned out.

'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Better headlight shot........

'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

Your headlight beam pattern is going to be rather poor/scattered if you're using standard US spec sealed beam bulbs with those Euro fluted lenses. Not so much of a problem if you only drive in the daytime, but not good if you want to drive at night.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Ragtop Sedan Fixing Upping Reply with quote

I started to post much the same last night, but thought I'd see how long it would take for someone else to, and how they would word it.

Yes, it is rather counter-productive to "stack" fluted lenses unless it's only for show and not for function. For my 62, I did change to a set of Bosch H4 sealed beam replacement headlight assemblies many years ago now, but I kept the clear cover glass. This was a time when I was still regularly driving that car day and night and I wanted good lighting. That ties into why I have amber turn bulbs under my clear turn lenses in front and amber-top rear tail lights on my car... Those are not an affectation, not only do I want to see better, I want others to see me better as well.

Last edited by glutamodo on Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: