Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug choice?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

I'm currently running NGKs in the Bug, same as my Mk6 VW and E83 BMW. When tested, they showed half the resistance of the spec'd Bosch plugs. I only put a few dozen miles on the Bosch plugs, through, so I don't know what that means for longevity. My friend who runs the air cooled restoration shop prefers NGKs, IIRC. I also use just a slight dot of hi-temp Ford nickel antiseize, simply to add lubricity.
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

I recently pulled the OE plugs from my DD 2004 LeSabre... 224,000 miles. OE AC but thats not a fair comparison to vintage iron.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

gotten bosch from rock auto in the past...just be careful if you're ordering anything substantial with the plugs...mine were shipped in with pads and rotors and boxes were smashed and gaps closed...got full credit for them and i dont think i had to send them back...20 or so years ago when you could still buy genuine factory VW longblocks they came with NGK plugs, not bosch...
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

Well I got my Champions installed today. Can't say the plug wires are very good. Three look to be OEM and fasten to the threaded end on the plug.

#4 tried to beat me as I installed it without the end nut but the wire had been replaced with one that needed the nut installed.

Despite two arthritic hands with almost zero feeling in my fingers I kicked that plugs *ss and got that little aluminum screwed on without removing it from the head.

At my age any victory is a big one!

#3 has some oil fouling. The others looked great.

As a side note I had ordered two orders from Jbugs... one on the 11th and one on the 13th. Fedex lost the first one and it took 10 days to get here. USPS took just 8 days.

Not sure if that's a victory... I wore those brown uniforms for 5 years... we never would have settled for that back then. But things have changed and good help is hard to find even if they make $100K per year.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

If you're using a steel spark plug in an aluminum head then I suggest you use a proper "anti-seize" agent which contains a metal so that the ground isn't lost. Use of oil would only promote the "dissimilar metals corrosion" which happens when the electrons start swapping places between the two metals.
https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definition/1328/dissimilar-metal-corrosion
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
If you're using a steel spark plug in an aluminum head then I suggest you use a proper "anti-seize" agent which contains a metal so that the ground isn't lost. Use of oil would only promote the "dissimilar metals corrosion" which happens when the electrons start swapping places between the two metals.
https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definition/1328/dissimilar-metal-corrosion

I have been using anti-seize since the 70's with good success.

I discovered it when we started having seized inner nuts on our Budd-style wheels on our big trucks. They use and inner nut with external threads to secure the inner wheel and an outer nut to secure the outside wheel on a pair of duals.

Using anti-seize almost eliminated that issue.

We use it on our dirt track cars even today...
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

ShortyMedlock wrote:
Well I got my Champions installed today. Can't say the plug wires are very good. Three look to be OEM and fasten to the threaded end on the plug.

#4 tried to beat me as I installed it without the end nut but the wire had been replaced with one that needed the nut installed.

Despite two arthritic hands with almost zero feeling in my fingers I kicked that plugs *ss and got that little aluminum screwed on without removing it from the head.

At my age any victory is a big one!

#3 has some oil fouling. The others looked great.

As a side note I had ordered two orders from Jbugs... one on the 11th and one on the 13th. Fedex lost the first one and it took 10 days to get here. USPS took just 8 days.

Not sure if that's a victory... I wore those brown uniforms for 5 years... we never would have settled for that back then. But things have changed and good help is hard to find even if they make $100K per year.

So today I get an email from Jbugs telling me the balance of my order shipped today! I guess I missed the missing pieces when FedEx made the delivery. I don't believe anything was marked "backordered" so this was a surprise...
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
NGK BP6HS. Yes they are protruded tip. Yes they are 1 step cooler than stock. Yes they will work fantastic in a stock engine.

Enjoy.

-Frank

HS are for 1/2" reach
ES are for 3/4" reach[/quote]

I have a stock 1600 dp engine. I don't know if the ES or HS would be best to use because I don't know why one is 1/4" longer. Suggestions?
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Glenn wrote:
NGK BP6HS. Yes they are protruded tip. Yes they are 1 step cooler than stock. Yes they will work fantastic in a stock engine.

Enjoy.

-Frank

HS are for 1/2" reach
ES are for 3/4" reach

I have a stock 1600 dp engine. I don't know if the ES or HS would be best to use because I don't know why one is 1/4" longer. Suggestions?[/quote]

You have 1/2" plugs in your stock 1600. You won't possibly need 3/4 plugs until you build a larger motor. Most aftermarket heads are thicker to allow different " deck heights " and more compression basically. I've never ported a head, but I'm sure the extra material helps in that process
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

You can safely use an "extended tip" plug in a 1/2" reach application.

The extended tip was invented to help keep the plugs clean back 60 years ago when oil consumption, and more frequent overhauls, were the norm.

They also do help keep the plug a bit cleaner in a good running engine from my experience.

The plugs I have are the std. tip for no other reason as the parts book listed them as the std. application.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug choice? Reply with quote

I understand better now. Thank you for the information, guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: