Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

A dream came true today. Picked up a march 54 standard. I became aware of it a few years ago. It wasn't for sale but I made it known it would be my dream project. Two weeks ago I was messaged that it may be available. Next day a deal was made. Owner wanted to see it restored but decided it was a little more than he wanted to tackle.

I wanted a project that was more of a challenge than my 64 but not so far gone that everything would need replacing. Also needed to be something worth all the work. This bus is perfect. A lot of metal is in good condition and just need some rusty bits replaced. Frame is mostly good and will need a few bits replaced. Left wall needs replacement as at some point two doors were cut in the side. They did a good job so doesn't look like a hack job. No idea what they were for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

It's a brown beige / light beige with beige interior. There are a few spots that the paint wore down to original and it shows around all the rubbers and latches. Some bits of the cargo door panels were there. Was quite happy to find them. Will be handy when I go to recreate the interior.

So very happy with the colors. I quite like the brown/ beige look on a BD.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Awesome score! What is the game plan for it?

You did an amazing job on your 64 kombi. I'm excited to see the end result of this barndoor
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Awesome score! What is the game plan for it?

Similar to the 64 except better Smile I want it as close to factory as possible within my budget. One exception is I plan to put newer brakes (55-63) as I plan to drive it and believe this is an acceptable change. Could have correct brakes installed later anyway.

Going to do all the mechanical stuff first. Front beam, Steering box, pedals, transmission, reductions and motor this winter. This may seem like an odd place to start but I want to put it in our local car show each year. So next year this time I can drive it into the show area looking like it does. I did the same thing with our 64 and many found the progress entertaining. This will also give me time to rearrange the shop some and get more tools and parts.

Next year I will start metal work. Much can be repaired and many parts can be built. I will purchase the complex parts like doglegs and floor panels. Just going to take a lot of time to get everything perfect. Think 2 years for metal. Will be getting some new metal working tools that I wished I had when doing the 64. It will go on a frame jig and have the body removed. Quite a bit of the body will need to be disassembled to remove all the rust but looking forward to that process. It will also be correctly spot welded together.

Then paint in original colors with correct overspray and all that silliness.

The interior may be a problem. Panels not so much as I can make them and find correct covering. Not sure how I will afford seats though. Hoping I can come across some rusty frames that I can repair. Another possibility is to build them but finding exact measurements could be a problem. Anyway I have a few years to figure that out. Like with the 64 I am not going to worry too much about correct bolt on parts as I will swap them out for correct ones as luck and finances allow.
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Can’t wait to see this one take shape! I, too, read every installment of your ‘64 transformation in awe.

This is going to be good!
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it. I have my 52 BD almost ready for the road. Going with a Judson 36hp motor.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Going with a Judson 36hp motor.

Cool

I have a 36hp from a 58 that I will rebuild and make look correct for the 54. Think the block and heads are the same but have lots of research to do to figure out the correct stuff I need. I haven't paid much attention to BD details until a couple weeks ago. Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Unloaded and in the shop.

Was going to stick some junk 56 spindles on so it would role around. Apparently I need to flip them or something as the arm is too low for the tie rod. Time for some searching.

Sprayed penatrating oil on a bunch of stuff yesterday and the hinges were free today. Smile. Passenger door is locked or something. Outside handle moves freely but doesn't do anything. Inside handle is stuck so will need to pull back the door panel and see what I can do.

All switches move and feel perfect. I assume the thing below starter switch is not stock. Pedels are free. Park brake is stuck.

Found some stuff while cleaning. Shift lever and hinge are good and maybe mirror arm. Rest has seen better days.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Looks like later spindles won't work for stock hight. Guess I need to find some BD spindles sooner than expected.

Actually I could just make a riser for the tie rod mount for now so I can move it around the shop.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Are you planning on lowering it, or keeping it stock? If you're going to lower it, one method that works well is to fit beetle spindles:

Info on how to can be found here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370963&highlight=bug+spindles

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Are you planning on lowering it

No, Stock height.

Don't see any BD spindles listed here currently but with all the lowering they shouldn't be that hard to find.
Just looking now if later king pins can be made to work with BD spindles. I see later link pins will work. Figure finding spindles with good king pins may be more difficult.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

55-62 spindles and LPs will fit the arms, but as you've noted the steering arms on the later spindles are in the wrong location (too low).
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Wow! I am extremely excited for you. The bus is massive and looks like a great project. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Wow! I am extremely excited for you. The bus is massive and looks like a great project. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thanks! I'm supper excited. I had given up on ever getting it. Really want to start the metal work now though. Haha.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Removed the door panel to get the inside handle moving.

Happy to see how good the pocket is. I will be able to replicate it when the time comes. Also noticed the handle hole is bigger than expected with cloth behind to cover the steel. Makes it easy to get the panel off.

I see the light beige was painted first and roughly masked off for the brown beige.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

What is the name of the metal over the transmission? And is it available? I couldn't find it anywhere but suspect KlassicFab makes it. Doesn't look that hard to make. The difficult bits are still good on mine though someone hacked out a section. Luckily they didn't damage the vin.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Found it. "Tranny hump panel" "Engine bay to cargo floor panel" "VIN panel". has a few names Smile

https://www.klassicfab.com/product/kf1212-transmission-firewall-panel-complete/
https://www.type29.co.uk/product/engine-bay-to-cargo-floor-panel-vin-panel/
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
A dream came true today. Picked up a march 54 standard. I became aware of it a few years ago. It wasn't for sale but I made it known it would be my dream project. Two weeks ago I was messaged that it may be available. Next day a deal was made. Owner wanted to see it restored but decided it was a little more than he wanted to tackle.

I wanted a project that was more of a challenge than my 64 but not so far gone that everything would need replacing. Also needed to be something worth all the work. This bus is perfect. A lot of metal is in good condition and just need some rusty bits replaced. Frame is mostly good and will need a few bits replaced. Left wall needs replacement as at some point two doors were cut in the side. They did a good job so doesn't look like a hack job. No idea what they were for.

Congrats, what a cool bus. I started to look at the pictures and it looked like a double door standard. I see that you say the doors on the left side were hacked in now. My first instinct was that I have never seen a barndoor double door standard only panels. If you have not done so yet order the birth certificate from VW so you can see what this bus started life as. This is a huge project, but I am excited to see you tackle it. I did folllow along with your last bus restoration thread.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
... If you have not done so yet order the birth certificate from VW so you can see what this bus started life as. This is a huge project, but I am excited to see you tackle it. I did folllow along with your last bus restoration thread.

Just ordered it 30 min ago. Haha kept getting the "payment process could not be started" error so tried with PayPal and it when through.

I really hope it was imported into port of Halifax. Should know within the next 3 to 20 weeks. Smile
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

That's quite a project you got there! I'm originally from NS, and got my love for old VW's from the Marshall family that owned Marshall Motors in Kentville. Are you in the Shelburne area?
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: