Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plug A is on early buses too - at least 1952s (Hornbecker)
It is like (prob exactly the same as) the two Beetle rear apron plugs, and the bus sunroof corner plugs

While we’re here…my ‘55 has rubber buffer B on the vertical
This is exactly the same as the 4 seat buffers
What is buffer B for?
I don’t see it on some 54s…so it must be a late Barndoor revision
Your bus must have it, EB

sgellis wrote:

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Plug A is on early buses too - at least 1952s (Hornbecker)
It is like (prob exactly the same as) the two Beetle rear apron plugs, and the bus sunroof corner plugs

Thanks.

Making accurate drawings of all the parts that I need to make or rebuild and finding many odd bits. This one I couldn't find any info on.

Also looking at lots of NOS metal part photos and notice many details don't match exactly to what is on my bus.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Yes, my '55 has the B hole for that seat bumper too but nothing is there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Starting to turn this guys thread into a mystery Laughing

I was poking around at some 55 images and so far have only found a couple(this area is not a very photo interesting area until now)

My old Dec. 54 Crappingbox Standard , I happen to have an image , does not have the "B" hole but surprisingly did still have the rubber "A" plug in place , which ive never noticed.

The PBRDD Panel, a Jan 55, is the same, no "B" hole.

Making me wonder if the "B" hole is a Deluxe only thing.

Here is another image I came across of the Mo & Domsjo 55 which does appear to have an extra hole but doesnt look to be in the same place as Rockstocks.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Started stripping off the frame.

Quick work. Rear frame is better than I thought.

Got the pedals and park brake lever out. I drilled a hole in the left frame to drive the pedal pin out. That bit of frame needs work anyway. I didn't realize the pin had plugs in the ends and I drove one in a bit. Will need to fix that.

Park brake lever is in great shape. Cables are usable also but may be a bit ruff for what I want. The tubes were full of grease.

I need to do some more drawings before going much farther on the front.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

^Great to have all these rare pieces!

according the rubber plug and hole.
That could make a lot of sense. We know that many parts on early Volkswagens have asymmetrical 'drip holes' or recesses in stamped parts ( like the beetle frame head f.e.) so that trapped paint from primer dipping could drain out. Would make more sense even, if the bus bodies were dipped with a slight angle to the right and to the front. primer could easily get trapped in that corner of the tool chest.

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
Interesting to see there was a plug there. Just last week I was asking around to confirm this was factory and not a hack on my bus(although I found images of my older buses with it as well)
It seems the only logical reason for it was drainage maybe? Certainly odd for just one side.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

So I though sharing my 54 build on YouTube would be nice so the non-barndoor fanatics could see what i was up to.

It was a bit of an experiment but now 3 videos in and had good encouragement to keep going... So guess I am committed to seeing it though now. Smile

I have planes to improve the quality but not trying to make professional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChG0XTVgNtKTKfeRDA8ZJnw

Link

myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Enjoyed the first video so far! Even the raw footage is important to document the little differences and be able to have a reference for rebuilding, not just for you but for those of us who have a project as well. Applause
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Outstanding video documentation and to feel a part of your build. I love your shop/barn. Great way to start the morning with your build. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I’m sure it will help others in their builds too.
Applause Applause Applause
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Those videos are great! I'm looking forward to seeing your metalworking skills. The accent is making me a little homesick Cool
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Good video a true detail in this build! Keep going!! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Thanks all. The videos are getting more interest than I expected. Just put up #5. I need to get the video quality taken care of though.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Started taking the under seat area apart. Some of it was better than expected. I had planned to replace the sides but they are repairable. Will still need to remove them. All the seams in this bus have rust.

I did find that they did a terrible job assembling this. Quite a few spot welds missed or didn't penatrate. They also misaligned one seam and filled it with some dark grey sealer.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Anyone see these pop rivets before? Were installed before paint. They don't hold anything below.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Laser back on the frame. Getting the frame into position so I can finish the jig.

Everything is close except the rear frames are 88 mm above the main frame. Think it is supposed to be 95mm. It had the rear frame bent a little from pulling/lifting at some point so could easily be bent. I will do a little searching and measure my 64.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Getting the frame straight as I build the jig. The transmission horns looked sagged so made a quick straight edge to check. Both down about 1/4".

They are quite stiff but after chaining the hoop down they went back in their place.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Frame jig done. That was a pain to get straight but it lays in the jig without strain.

Had to confirm the rear frames were 95mm above center. The were quite low. These frames are very flexible so think a jig is required if the body is not holding it straight.

Now I can cut the frame and start rebuilding it

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Cut the frame rails and removed the bad metal from rear frame. Next is media blasting. My favorite thing... But the clean metal looks so nice.

Not sure what to do about the engine hoop. It has a lot of dents in the bottom. Will need the bottom of the tube removed and smoothed out or I have another rear frame with a good hoop that I could use. I will likely split the bottom off and decide then to repair or replace.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Great work! Following along from Ontario. If you end up with a spare tube tranny hanger, even a part, please let me know. I need to patch one on a 55 bus.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
If you end up with a spare tube tranny hanger, even a part, please let me know. I need to patch one on a 55 bus.

This hoop on this one has some dents that will require cutting open to fix. Was considering using part of the spare one to repair it...

I will get the spare in the shop, inspect it and let you know what I decide.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: