Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I've posted very inexpensive 7" LED's in multiple threads that now cost ~$50 for a pair. They give markedly better lighting than H4's with high wattage bulbs and are lower than stock wattage so do not require headlight relays. They are plug and play. I adjusted the aim to spec and have never been flashed by oncoming traffic. Paying extra for the H4's in order to do more work to install them and have worse lighting from bulbs that burn out faster and consume more electricity isn't a choice I will ever make again.

The van came with brand new H4 lights and the relays and therefore I don't have to make any additional investment to fix it. While I agree that LEDs are far superior lights to halogen, I can't personally bring myself to like the look of them on a vintage car. They just look out of place.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

eamanb wrote:
I can't personally bring myself to like the look of them on a vintage car. They just look out of place.

That's where I'm at too, the warm white (yellow) headlights look proper.
4x100watts is 30 amps, the EJ alternator has enough for that.
Also the EJ runs about 1/2 volt higher than VW, so the lights are a little brighter too.
I got the Euro spec (Square) headlights from Bus Depot and am very happy with that mod.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Congrats!

And post more pics!
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

It's been about 2 years since I joined the 4WD Westy club. So I feel it's time for a brief update:

- Subframe was sandblasted and powdercoated
- All suspension bushings were replaced with polys
- Locker was added to the driveshaft and front differential, making the van a 3 knob locker
- Rear brake was upgraded to disc brakes, necessitating the R9 Ronal 16 inch conversion
- Some aesthetic changes were made, some purely cosmetic, some with purpose in mind, all in good fun

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Looking really sharp!
Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Beautiful! Where did you find that tire cover?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Looking really sharp!
Cool

joetiger wrote:
Beautiful! Where did you find that tire cover?

Thank you for the kind words. I bought the cover on Amazon and customized it using the Puch decal I downloaded off the web. I wanted a hard cover but wasn't sure what the quality was going to be so decided to just try the soft cover as a first trial. Overall cost was 15 dollars so not bad. I like how it turned out, and it matches my wheel center caps
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

eamanb wrote:

You might not want to leave that keyless entry device so visible on the back. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need help pricing a 1987 Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

eamanb wrote:
I bought the cover on Amazon and customized it using the Puch decal I downloaded off the web. I wanted a hard cover but wasn't sure what the quality was going to be so decided to just try the soft cover as a first trial. Overall cost was 15 dollars so not bad. I like how it turned out, and it matches my wheel center caps

Great idea. After I wrote this, I did a little searching online and found that they're popular with the G Wagen crowd...And priced accordingly.

https://swissarmyvehicles.com/puch-gwagen/T/9098903508/spare-tire-cover-with-puch-logo

Looks like you found a great alternative!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: