Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueBounty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

I cant seem to fix this issue. I have a 1776 with duel Kadrons rebuilt by I pro builder. I'm running Compufire with a vacuum advanced 009. I have the carbs jetted and set with a fuel ratio meter. My problem for ever is it runs great until the plugs on #1 & 3 foul. Then of course is starts sputtering and back firing. 2 & 4 look great. I can't seem to figure this out. I could see maybe an adjustment problem on one of the carbs if the fouled plugs were on the same side but this not the case. Can anyone help me out on where to go next?
Thanks
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

real common issue with dual-single barrel carbs like Kadrons.

Magnified when you go with a hi-po camshaft.

Can usually be managed by adding a balance tube from one manifold to the other.
Your manifolds likely have fitting bosses in them already.

Try to use 3/8" or 1/2" hose.

It should "help" your problem.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

those things idle on two cylinders. The balance tube like Tom mentioned should help
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

I always get a chuckle out of engines that run great but...

I suspect it's not, and has the same 2 cylinder idle/4 cylinder run mid range and up that I too had when running Kadrons. I played with them with a balance tube and without and quite frankly just wasted time and effort. If I got a good synchronize on the carbs it would run virtually identical with the balance tube on or blocked off. The best I ever got it was a 4 cylinder fast idle coming off a hard run that would drop back to 2 cylinders as the engine cooled off before the lights turned green again.

What that made the most difference of all the things I tried was to put the thermostat and flaps back on so that the engine ran warmer around town and at a more consistent temperature all around. Very hard to tune one that is hot - cold - hot - cold especially with Kadrons on it.

I was at a VW event 3 weeks ago and after talking to a Beetle owner about his Kadrons (he assured me that his did not have this problem and ran perfect) I listened to his wife idle it around the parking lot and out onto the street... on 2 cylinders and heard it clear up and catch the other 2 as she drove away! Rolling Eyes
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

What is your idle ignition timing, cam, and compression ratio?
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

BlueBounty wrote:
I cant seem to fix this issue. I have a 1776 with duel Kadrons rebuilt by I pro builder. I'm running Compufire with a vacuum advanced 009.
Hmmm! No such thing. Are you referring to a "034" SVDA copy distributor?
I have the carbs jetted and set with a fuel ratio meter. My problem for ever is it runs great until the plugs on #1 & 3 foul. Then of course is starts sputtering and back firing. 2 & 4 look great. I can't seem to figure this out. I could see maybe an adjustment problem on one of the carbs if the fouled plugs were on the same side but this not the case. Can anyone help me out on where to go next?
Thanks

Kads can be set up to run well. Sadly not many know how, not even engine builders/tuners. That said, We need to know more to be able to get an idea about what to do and how good we can make it.
Cam
CR if you know. (Builder should state that.)
Ignition coil and the exact type of distributor, - and spark plugs.
Ignition timing at idle.
Type of exhaust
Type of intake manifolds
What AFR at idle, cruise and WOT?
Where do you take the AFR reading?

I probably forgot something, but this will be a good start. A couple of pictures may tell more than a thousand words, especially if youre in doubt.

On a second note, I´m not super fond of the balance tube as a means to solve varius issues. - Sometimes, it is possible to even out an issue that way though.

Let us hear ya! Wink
BlueBounty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Thanks folks for the info. Let me gather the specs and post some pictures and maybe we can figure this out or I might just go to a single carb for reliability but my bounty hunter does not fair well for that as it has a overhang on the back and not much clearance. Stay tuned.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Cam will be the biggest factor in if you can get the mixture evened out on those dual single barrel carbs with a balance pipe. As duration goes up, and overlap increases, the vacuum signature changes in the manifolds, and the balance tubes effectiveness drops off like a rock. On stock to mild cams, balance tubes can work wonders.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

also plug type and heatrange.have the plugs been heat range checked to see if they are right or not??
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

I wonder what effect a 1" spacer under the carbs would have? it would give you a little more plenum area. Kinda like putting a open bore 1" spacer on a V8 with a dual plane intake manifold, it kinda makes it act more like a single plane manifold.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Why not just increase the effective plenum area under the carb by porting the split further down? Assuming you run aluminum manifolds. Alstrup recommended this to me and it was relatively easy to do with a burr in a die grinder. It's supposed to help things a good bit.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

I´m still waiting on engine details. Until we get that there is no telling what would be the best approach.
That said I agree on the plenum
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

The problem is a fundamental design issue.
The firing order on a VW motor is un-even on each side.
First cyl 3 draws a charge in, then 4 air in, then a big pause as 1/2 side draws air.
So with any performance cam, 3 is still drawing air it, when 4 starts.
This robs 4 of some charge. Enough that it won't hit at idle.
The 1/2 side has the same issue.
So you get the 1/3 idle thing.

A balance tube can help to stabilize the vacuum, much like a plenum would.
The problem with plenums is always the same. It's a band aid to mask a poor manifold design. Plenums have to be jetted around and they usually suck fuel.

It is for this reason, you won't find may dual/singles on my motors.
I find it much easier and smoother running to just install a set of dual IDF's.
they actually run smoother and get better fuel economy.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

OK, how about putting two Kadrons on a IDA manifold on each side of the motor? Cool

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Only if you build the linkage Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
OK, how about putting two Kadrons on a IDA manifold on each side of the motor? Cool

eQ

Quadrons, the world wants to see it! I asked KadyShack about this, they laughed and said they would love to try it when they have time.
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

BlueBounty wrote:
I cant seem to fix this issue. I have a 1776 with duel Kadrons rebuilt by I pro builder. I'm running Compufire with a vacuum advanced 009. I have the carbs jetted and set with a fuel ratio meter. My problem for ever is it runs great until the plugs on #1 & 3 foul. Then of course is starts sputtering and back firing. 2 & 4 look great. I can't seem to figure this out. I could see maybe an adjustment problem on one of the carbs if the fouled plugs were on the same side but this not the case. Can anyone help me out on where to go next?
Thanks

Hello
I’m in same problem whit my 1776 and kads on empi alu intake. Run a tube between intake and that’s not enough. The plug does fouling but not like very blackish and 2 and 4 are looking lean. Have you notched the intake against the head like the standard manifold DP engine? I’ll read something like that in the samba but it’s several years that’s been writing
Somebody else that have tested with notched kads carbs
Hav standard camshaft and cr like 8.5:1
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

The only 2 carb set ups that don't have this mixture imbalance in my limited experiance is a single center mounted one or give each cylinder it's own carb barrel. Even the stock twin singles were somewhat this way.
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The only 2 carb set ups that don't have this mixture imbalance in my limited experiance is a single center mounted one or give each cylinder it's own carb barrel. Even the stock twin singles were somewhat this way.

Ok what’s the meaning with the notch. Is it to make engine run on all cylinder at light running like cruising
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

the notch at the intake gasket surface is for single carb manifolds IMO.

Properly shaping the plenum area right below the carb is more important for this type of carb setup. You PROBABLy want to make sure it splits evenly both sides. The fuel also should IN THEORY come straight out the lower hanging side of the throttle and you can look at the manifold and think about where that is going to go, what it will hit.
Weird plug fouling without any other cause can often be traced to liquid gasoline dribbling into one cylinder or another. It could be a manifold problem or a carb problem. Float level is too high causing the main nozzle to drip, or acc pump squirt mis-aimed it can run just fine but still be fouling plugs. I don't know which is more likely the problem but these units do have a reputation of having problems with both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: