Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1965 Bug Registry
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Well I noticed this a while back, but I might as well start the thread now sense no one else has stepped up to the plate.

The '65 model year may the "boring" sibling among the early beetles, but I think they still need some love right? Although, the '65 was the last year of the 40hp, and the link/king pin front suspension among other various smaller aspects. So it does have some neat things going for it.

Mine isnt done yet, but i know there are PLENTY of 65 beetles out there and here on the samba.

Heres my '65 made in October of '64. I'm 99% sure its a Tourist Delivery. Was(is) originally pearl white. Unfortunately, i dont have much history on the car, but i bought it from a guy who let it sit on a trailer on a field after he bought it as a project. The car came from California, however it had gotten is a decent sized accident and the windshield was broken in the process. Meaning water destroyed the pans and passenger side heater channel(it was sideways on an incline). It was obviously parted out before i bought it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

imma just steal this from Ceckert cuz i know he wont get mad(i think).

Ceckert64 wrote:

Posting your cars:
Month, model, options and other special important things. Maybe even a bio/ story of your car, when you got it, how long you’ve had it, etc.

Post em up!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkhanshaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 bug registry Reply with quote

I just brought this 1965 back to California. Originally a CA car and went to Oregon for a stint.

Short story: I bought it for my sister as a gift, and she is now changing her mind...so looks like I now own a 1965....at least for now. Needs a little TLC here and there but she is a runner for sure.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 bug registry Reply with quote

Here’s some more to steal from my thread:
Parts that went away or changed with the 65 year
-All windows were enlarged for better visibility
-new style doors with a completely new stamping
-new door window lift mechanism with cables instead of previous arm
-new style vent window (now and assembly) and door windows
-new headlight switch
-new wiper assembly now a different length
-chassis has been revised and the twist know for the heaters is removed and is replaced with a lever to control the heater boxes next to the e-brake.
-rear heater flaps are now controlled by a lever next to the e-brake and no longer control at the flaps
-new style deck lid with the lower reinforcement panel removed from it and the t-handle is replaced with a push button
-new thermostat control system, the previous throttle/ velocity ring is now replaced by control flaps routed inside the fan shroud
-the oil slinger for the rear swings axels are removed and replaced with new bearing housings with weep holes.
-new front and rear wheel backing plates for the brakes, the rears have the weep holes and both have slightly different star adjuster castings
-the steering box has changed from being oil filled in the 64 model year and now in 65 uses grease
-With the change of the body, the wiring loom in rerouted from going through the roof to going along the heater channel
-the sunroof adds plastic sliders to the headliner panel to prevent it from getting dirty. The sunroof panel also has a bow for the headliner panel.
-seat belt mounting holes (headliner screws) reduced in size and there is no more need for adapter pieces for seat belts. The shoulder belt mounting hole was also moved from level with the bottom of the side windows to the middle of the side windows.
-The Engine heads that pulled studs are revised eliminating the issue for 65 of needing a short stud conversion.
-New style VIN numbering system
-jack and clamp fit it
To add:
No clue on mid year changes if any? Confused
Parts that went away or changed with the 66 year:
-Link pin front axel changed out for ball joints
-New style interior door handle with the cup
-new style door panels from two tone to the now solid color with trim piece
-40hp 1200cc becomes a 1300cc with many changes to the engine that includes cooling tins, intakes, head etc.
-5 lug rims go from solid to having slots.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 bug registry Reply with quote

Here’s my old 65, or the little of what was left of it Laughing I may have the vin number somewhere but I sold the body shell for $20 and the pan w/ suspension and trans for $50 I got the better end of the deal Laughing Shocked

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 bug registry Reply with quote

Thanks ceckert.

65 also had the one year only squareboss 40hp heads. They were taller and thus used longer push rods. They also cooled better and didnt have the rocker stud failure issue the early round boss heads had.

65 also have grey interior accessories for the painted bits instead of ivory. 66 had black but I'm not sure if 64 had grey or ivory.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My 65, I drove it 8 miles home in late 2018 and took it apart. Hope to have it back on the road late this year. Built October 8, 1964.

Last edited by ZEKE65 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here’s my ‘65. Built November of ‘64. Still 6 volt. Originally from San Diego, California. I bought it October 2005.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here's my '65 to add to the registry

Fontana grey with red interior.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Nice cars yall. Light colors seems to be trend for 65.

Zeke, what left on your car? Just engine and interior? Looks really nice.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here's my '65. She's an October '64 production and still has her original engine. It even still has the original round boss heads with the long rocker arm studs intact. One unique thing about her is the original owner had Porsche 356 wheels and drum brakes installed at the dealer when he purchased the car. They remain on the car today and are probably worth more than the rest of the car! The car was originally purchased at Gus Mozart VW in Palo Alto, CA. I've owned her for 8 years. She's a survivor with mostly original paint and mostly stock.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Very cool ^^^

Coming out of Palo Alto, I bet he paid a pretty penny to have those 356 parts installed.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Very cool ^^^

Coming out of Palo Alto, I bet he paid a pretty penny to have those 356 parts installed.

No doubt, but I don't have any paperwork showing what he paid...just a handwritten list of the "extras" he had the dealer install.
Teehoovee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

This is my 65 project. It
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Very cool ^^^

No doubt, but I don't have any paperwork showing what he paid...just a handwritten list of the "extras" he had the dealer install.

I was going to ask about that but I didn't want to sound presumptuous. Either way, still a cool upgrade, I'm sure very few others opted for that expenditure.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
rcroane wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Very cool ^^^

I was going to ask about that but I didn't want to sound presumptuous. Either way, still a cool upgrade, I'm sure very few others opted for that expenditure.

Here's "the list". The wood steering wheel I later learned was a Speedwell. I wanted more of a stock look and sold the Speedwell to Samba member @hitest. I also replaced the headers with a Vintage speed exhaust and raised the car back to stock height. Not sure if the EMPI Short Shift is still installed....I don't know anything about those. It also came with an EMPI camber compensator that I removed because the hardware had seen better days. I don't know if the EMPI Heavy Duty Front Sway Bar is still installed either...again, not sure what to look for.

Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here's mine. I bought it 50 years ago. I was 17. My first car. I still drive it several times a week. I smile every time I get in it. Yea there are more desirable years out there but for me this 1965 is the best one...at least for me.
Good idea starting this thread!

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My February 65 when I bought it in 2013.

It ran, although terribly, and had rust issues and a non-functional top. I worked on it, fixing things then decided to take it to a shop, just to have the pans replaced in 2015. One thing turned into another and after being in three different shops (long story), I brought it home 4 years later. Total body off, including top, refurbishment (I made some changes so it's not a restoration).

It came with a 1972 engine in it.

Got a few more things to do but I'm enjoying it for now.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Geier wrote:
Here's mine. I bought it 50 years ago. I was 17. My first car. I still drive it several times a week. I smile every time I get in it. Yea there are more desirable years out there but for me this 1965 is the best one...at least for me.
Good idea starting this thread!

Wow....the car and the fact that you've owned it for 50 years!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Wow theres some real nice cars in here so far. Its dope when you have some history on the car.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Long term prediction: the strong majority of 65's that get posted here will be (or were originally) Bahama Blue. It seems to have been the most popular color for '65 (and perhaps even '66). All three '65s I have owned (still have two of 'em) were Bahama Blue, and not necessarily by choice, as two of them basically fell in my lap. But I do like the color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: