Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1965 Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohtly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

[quote="Chickensoup"]That sir is a very very nice looking car! Interesting color too![/quote

Thanks for the kind words Chickensoup. The picture I posted was right after we finished the resto in 2014. Since then I've been able to source the correct beige fender beading and running board mats that were original to the car. It's never finished !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Our 65 was purchased new in Madison WI by my in-laws. It lived in Madison a year or so and then took the family of three to San Jose, CA. It was a daily driver for many years but finally got put to the side. In 2005 it was green, not because it was painted green but because it was covered in mold inside and out. Open the door and sneeze. That's the year we adopted it and the picture says the rest.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2204210.jpg[/img]
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Mohtly wrote:
Hi Boys & Girls. I've been a long time lurker here on the Samba. Never really posted anything before but am always reading on several forums here and used all your posts of various subjects to help us resurrect our "Charlie".
Glad to see a 1965 Registry ! I've been waiting...

Here is our 1965 Panama Beige Sedan. My wife's parents bought it new in 65. It's a long story but the wife and I did a 3 year restoration journey on it and brought it back to as close as we could to original. We have all the paperwork including the original purchase receipt ($2,027 out the door !). It's numbers matching with original engine and transmission as noted on the purchase receipt. We also managed to get Birth Certificate several years ago to support it's history.
We drive it every weekend weather permitting.

Very nice Beetle, and even though your location says Peoria AZ the picture of your car is on Paseo Del Mar in Palos Verdes Estates. I used to park my car there to go surfing for over 50 years.
In the bottom picture of your interior, your car is parked on the Esplanade in Redondo Beach.
FYI, car show at Watson Lake in Prescott Sat & Sunday this week end Sunday is VW day.

Sunday Aug 2nd at Watson Lake in Prescott 7:00 AM
Copyright Prescott Antique Auto ClubWatson Lake Show FlyerThe two page online version of the 2021 Watson Lake Show flyers are now available. It is a PDF that you can view and print. Click here to see the flyer.
The Volkswagen Sunday flyer can be seen here. Feel free to distribute both flyers
Mohtly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
[quote=
Very nice Beetle, and even though your location says Peoria AZ the picture of your car is on Paseo Del Mar in Palos Verdes Estates. I used to park my car there to go surfing for over 50 years.
In the bottom picture of your interior, your car is parked on the Esplanade in Redondo Beach.
FYI, car show at Watson Lake in Prescott Sat & Sunday this week end Sunday is VW day.

Copyright Prescott Antique Auto ClubWatson Lake Show FlyerThe two page online version of the 2021 Watson Lake Show flyers are now available. It is a PDF that you can view and print. Click here to see the flyer.
The Volkswagen Sunday flyer can be seen here. Feel free to distribute both flyers

Helfin, you are absolutely correct on the location of the pictures I posted. We escaped from CA and moved to AZ last year. I retired after 35 years with a local Aerospace company there in El Segundo. I 've lived my entire life in the South Bay area mostly in Redondo Beach until moving to AZ last year.
The last picture I posted was from the Ruby's Diner Car show that was always on Friday nights there in King Harbor which I now understand is closed. I certainly do miss the beach scene and the multitude of car show events and the cruises around Manhattan Beach and down the coast through Palos Verdes Peninsula. Nothin like that here in north Peoria for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Mohtly wrote:
Helfen wrote:
[quote=

Helfin, you are absolutely correct on the location of the pictures I posted. We escaped from CA and moved to AZ last year. I retired after 35 years with a local Aerospace company there in El Segundo. I 've lived my entire life in the South Bay area mostly in Redondo Beach until moving to AZ last year.
The last picture I posted was from the Ruby's Diner Car show that was always on Friday nights there in King Harbor which I now understand is closed. I certainly do miss the beach scene and the multitude of car show events and the cruises around Manhattan Beach and down the coast through Palos Verdes Peninsula. Nothin like that here in north Peoria for sure.

I was going to mention the first photo at Ruby's diner, because in the rt. hand corner you can partially see Captain Kidd's fish market and restaurant which is owned by a friend and fellow surfer.
Up here in Prescott there is always some car related thing going on all year. There are not only car shows like the one I mentioned for this week end, but on Saturdays there is the morning donut cruise, and there is a cruise night every week end-sometimes two ( we have a VW cruise night every first Wed. of the month) . Also every Friday we cruise to a local restaurant for lunch (there are over a hundred guys on the lunch list). The good thing about Prescott is it doesn't get terribly hot like it does in the valley and if it does by chance get to 89-90 it's still cool in the 60's at night. We've got a lot of South Bay, Huntington beach, San Diego car guys here. I used to live in the Rivera, then Central Coast, then to Prescott...you'd like it here.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I didn't realize Panama Beige was a color option in 65, and I think yours is the first i have seen in that color. It sure looks great on your 65...beautiful. Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Interesting thing to add. It seems early 65's had round side mirrors while lates had the pear? Was this ever officially documented by vw? If so it would be super useful to know when they started this so people could match theirs to what their car came from the factory.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1964beetle_german_ihrvw/1.jpg
Seems the pear shape could be had on some 64 models, and Panama beige is a correct color. Really nice car.
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

On my 65 posted earlier in this thread the documentation for the car says August 1964. It has a round mirror on the driver side. I guess this means it is an early 65? Man I love that beige color! My Bahama Blue is nice for sure but man that beige combo it awesome. A different kind of smile and pleasure can be had by both!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My October '64 build has a round driver's side mirror.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Geier wrote:
On my 65 posted earlier in this thread the documentation for the car says August 1964. It has a round mirror on the driver side. I guess this means it is an early 65? Man I love that beige color! My Bahama Blue is nice for sure but man that beige combo it awesome. A different kind of smile and pleasure can be had by both!

If you look at this picture in the link carefully under the + sign you will notice this car ( very early 64 because of the peanut front turn signals ) has the pear driver side mirror.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1964beetle_german_ihrvw/1.jpg
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
My October '64 build has a round driver's side mirror.

My chassis has(had) a painted section on the chassis that said oct 64. And I think my vin is around that date as well. Thanks a ton!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
jcolosim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

For what it's worth, My car was built on Oct 1, 64 and has the pear mirror. Perhaps different markets recieved different mirrors.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Another early production 64 factory brochure with pear mirror.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/64beetle_canadian/19.jpg
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Id say either is correct. below is a 65 VW promotional image and it has the round mirror;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/pressphotos/65bug_2a.jpg

And seeing is believing a 1967 VW promo that has a round mirror.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/pressphotos/67bug4a.jpg
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I could be completely wrong, but I thought I recalled a thread long ago suggesting that dealers installed these mirrors and it could be either or (round or pear). No?
Mohtly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Our birth certificate shows it leaving the factory 14 March 1965 but it does not have any sort of mirror mentioned on the list of equipment installed. The the original purchase receipt on 1 June 1965 from Commonwealth Motors in Santa Ana Calif also does not list mirrors. I can attest that when we pulled the car out of the parents garage after resting there covered for over 23 years it had the original pear shaped mirror on the driver side.
I did however replace the door pins during the resto and I installed a pin in the passenger side that has the mirror mount. I bought a repro goose neck pear shaped mirror from West Coast Metric for the passenger side. I decided it was prudent from a safety standpoint since the wife expressed interest in driving it.... Shocked
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Mohtly wrote:
Our birth certificate shows it leaving the factory 14 March 1965 but it does not have any sort of mirror mentioned on the list of equipment installed. The the original purchase receipt on 1 June 1965 from Commonwealth Motors in Santa Ana Calif also does not list mirrors. I can attest that when we pulled the car out of the parents garage after resting there covered for over 23 years it had the original pear shaped mirror on the driver side.
I did however replace the door pins during the resto and I installed a pin in the passenger side that has the mirror mount. I bought a repro goose neck pear shaped mirror from West Coast Metric for the passenger side. I decided it was prudent from a safety standpoint since the wife expressed interest in driving it.... Shocked

I wouldn't place a lot of faith in the birth certificate. I've owned my 65 111, 1200"A" Custom for 53 years and knew the original owner, The birth certificate says it was made January 12th 1965 and was shipped to Hamburg January Jan 14th. This is not true. It was made Jan12th and picked up by the original owner Jan 14th, had it's 600mile break in serviced in Munich by a VW dealer in March, driven around Europe until August and driven back to Wolfsburg and serviced by the factory 1500 mile service and then shipped by the factory to Hamburg and arrived at the Port of L.A. in September 1965.
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0131_edited_1.jpg
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0136_edited_1.jpg

Check out the white Euro 67 6Volt 1300 and old style fenders. The lady is the original owner bought it new in Hamburg.
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0138_edited_1.jpg
Murguia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My new to me, one owner, 1965. 21k documented original miles but has had one older repaint. Not a mint car, but certainly a nice driver for the wife and I.

Since I have posted my find, many members have pointed out the little odds and ends that I need to make it 100% correct. I’ll get the cosmetic pieces over time, but my wife and I plan to just cruise it around for fun.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Well I noticed this a while back, but I might as well start the thread now sense no one else has stepped up to the plate.

The '65 model year may the "boring" sibling among the early beetles, but I think they still need some love right? Although, the '65 was the last year of the 40hp, and the link/king pin front suspension among other various smaller aspects. So it does have some neat things going for it.

Mine isnt done yet, but i know there are PLENTY of 65 beetles out there and here on the samba.

Heres my '65 made in October of '64. I'm 99% sure its a Tourist Delivery. Was(is) originally pearl white. Unfortunately, i dont have much history on the car, but i bought it from a guy who let it sit on a trailer on a field after he bought it as a project. The car came from California, however it had gotten is a decent sized accident and the windshield was broken in the process. Meaning water destroyed the pans and passenger side heater channel(it was sideways on an incline). It was obviously parted out before i bought it.

imma just steal this from Ceckert cuz i know he wont get mad(i think).

Ceckert64 wrote:

Posting your cars:
Month, model, options and other special important things. Maybe even a bio/ story of your car, when you got it, how long you’ve had it, etc.

Post em up!

"The '65 model year may the "boring" sibling among the early beetles, but I think they still need some love right? Although, the '65 was the last year of the 40hp, and the link/king pin front suspension among other various smaller aspects. So it does have some neat things going for it. "

The 65 Beetle is not a boring car at all especially in the 1200"A" and 1200"A" Custom models. They are the last models to use a pan without seat tracks (they use the stud through the floor with the claw and wingnut to hold down the front seats. With the exception of the "Canadian" Custom model (they use the 40HP) these two models use the factory modified fresh air 36hp engine for the last time, but with 7.2 compression instead of 6.6 to one. They also never had the deep-dish steering wheel, so they use the old steering column and the 1200"A" uses the old, back to 1938 three spoke steering wheel, while the 65 Custom uses the 1956-1959 deluxe steering wheel. They also use the tunnel type fully synchro transaxle, but use a 4.43 R&P instead of the 40HP's 4.375
1965 was not the last year for the 40HP engine, although the 1966-1978 40HP has cam bearings and the large oil pump for the first time and they are actually the best 40hp because of this. They won't get 12 Volt system until 1975.
Yes 1965 is a very good and diverse car of old and new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: