Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clucth cable install question?..Bowden tube not playin nice.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Clucth cable install question?..Bowden tube not playin nice. Reply with quote

Putting in a new clutch cable and bowden tube.

What grease is good for the cable?

Should I thread the cable through the bowden tube before threading the cable through the original path/chassis tube? or slide the bowden tube on after the new cable is all the way to the pedal.

Should the cable slide through easily, or, should I tape string on the end of the old one and use that string to pull the new cable back through. If using the string method, I guess that answers my bowden tube first question Smile

Last edited by brownbus2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install sequence question? Reply with quote

I just did this last year on the side of the road.
Process is a little involved, not difficult but not easy.

Remove the wing nut adjuster at the clutch lever.
Unbolt the front end of the Bowden tube and straighten it.
Remove the splash pan in front.
Unbolt the clutch pedal assembly.
Unclip the front end of the cable from the pedal and pull it out toward the front of the Bus.
Push the new cable back through the guide tube and into the straightened Bowden tube.
Clip the front end of the cable back onto the clutch pedal assembly.
Remount the pedal assembly.
Remount the Bowden tube.
Pull the rear end of the cable through the clutch lever and tighten the wing nut.

I wrote this from memory but I don't think I missed anything (except lube the new cable)
I don't know any way to easily loosen/tighten the wing nut. It takes forever, particularly the last little bit of adjustment.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install sequence question? Reply with quote

Thanks Lee. Hows that Florida heat? I grew up in Cocoa Beach until about 2013.

Did the cable push through easily? or should I use the string method?

what grease/lube did you use?
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install sequence question? Reply with quote

What heat? It's not really hot until August.
And I'd rather sweat than shiver any time.
Cocoa is nice; we go to Lori Wilson for beach day trips. Remember RonJon's when it was small?

The cableguide tube on my Bus is apparently in good condition, because the cable pulled out easily and the new one went back in just as easily. I used regular bearing grease from a tub because that's all I had at the time.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install sequence question? Reply with quote

Lee

I actually worked at Ron Jons when it was small up through the monstrosity it is today. If you ever need VW work when out at Cocoa Beach (not Cocoa) look up Mark at Marks Werkshop. 321-784-3166.

FYI do not use the tape string to your cable method. Just push it on through.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Clucth cable install question?..Bowden tube not playin nice. Reply with quote

Im having a tough time getting the bowden tube remounted on the trans.

New tube. Same size as old one.

Is it easier to mount the tube , then run the cable through...?

I ask because I ran the cable through the tube , tube not mounted/attached. I am having to really bend the bowden to get the bolt holes to line up. There is so much tension that if Im not quick enough ( and im not) in screwing the bolts in, the mount moves out of place.

How much can/ should the tube bend to get it attached?

Front end is attached to the pedal.

Obviously the old one went on and its the same size... Eh?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install question?..Bowden tube not playin nice. Reply with quote

well the cable is run through the tube before you attach the bowden to the axle tube mount & the upper perch. Just bolt the perch in place, awaiting the insertion of the bowden tube 'nipple' & threaded end. You may have to 'flex' a new straight tube, there should be a slight 1"+ sag at the torsion tube (lower)
attach point. This sag keeps the tension consistent & allows the cable years of service life versus five weeks. There may be washers at the upper perch, caught between the perch itself & the nipple end, these are there to set the proper sag. Once you've got the bowden tube with cable caught between the upper perch mount & the torsion tube mounting tab, then you pass the threaded end through the clutch arm & attach the dust nipple on the end of the cable & the adjusting wing nut. You have to manipulate the new bowden tube bend to mimic your old one. : )
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clucth cable install question?..Bowden tube not playin nice. Reply with quote

ahhh

so attach the mount/bracket first, then insert then end of the bowden tube into the brackets tube, push the cable on through so it can then attach to the clutch lever....

The nipple, that goes on end at the clutch lever/arm? or end of the bowden tube closest to rear of bus?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: