Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Shopping at the Mall - My First Video Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy

Guys, Im gonna be a YouTube Star Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Like, Subscribe, Share, Leave me a comment Shocked Cool Shocked

Lookiee what I found, Just by chance.....

https://youtu.be/HQTtj_bWi2A

Last edited by fredybear on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping at the Mall (Junkyard) My First Video Reply with quote

The 1971 Junkyard Beetle is home Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So Ya Wanna Be a Youtube Star,
Live Large,
Big House,5 Car,
In Charge.....
Shocked SAY WHAT Shocked

I said...

So Ya Wanna Be a Youtube Star,
Live Large,
Big House,5 Car,
In Charge.....

Like, Subscribe, Leave Me a Comment Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Haaaaayyyyyyyyyyy Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Backround, Craigslist find $75 Orange Decklid.. Whata Match...

How fast can I strip it and have it in primer Very Happy Cool Very Happy

O Wait, Ima Kinda Useless, Hmmmm Shocked
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Pretty sweet! You got some work ahead of ya, but a couple of things in your favor too.
Looks like.....
1) no major rust in wheel arches
2) no major rust in luggage tray
3) no major rust in lower panels

Key here is looks like no major rust.. Is this in California or Arizona or something? You'd NEVER find a car like this in the Midwest.

Also it's a standard Beetle, not a super. Definitely more marketable/sought after.
Have a great time, looking forward to watching your progress.
CC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Thanks Bro Very Happy Very Happy $300 No rust, no death foam rot. Its been in the junkyard since the 90s. I think Ill find out soon.....

Pics, Gotta have pics Cool Cool

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Looks like it has good bones,

Richard O'Brien
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Its one of those cool finds you see the other people get and you want one Very Happy

Trying to make a video is a pain, the phone was vertical, so it looks long and skinny. Woops. Plus the editing Confused

But , Ima pic posting HO,,,,haaayyyyyyy Very Happy

Its like they wrapped a chain around it and pulled it Mad
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Hey........Who deleted the post by the humblest guy on the board Question Question Question Question

I was gonna respond to that Mad I had a good pic...... Confused Confused Confused
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

You got some work ahead of you! And that is coming from me! WOW!

But it ought to be fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Hey Jim, thanks....I have a good one for ya....Itll take a few.....After I read your WHOLE thread, this happened.........Lets see If I can get it together and post it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

That right rear section looks like a problem. Look at the wheel side of the engine compartment. Is it smooth or wavy? Any ripped holes? There is a row of spot welds that attach the rear luggage shelf/ firewall in place. The bottom of those start tearing during a decent hit.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Finnish the bubble but bug yet?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Hey........Who deleted the post by the humblest guy on the board Question Question Question Question

I was gonna respond to that Mad I had a good pic...... Confused Confused Confused

I'll repost:

Shoulda left it there, or made them pay you to take it Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Quote:
the phone was vertical

Why do people do that? Computers are oriented sideways ("landscape" format)- they are not turned 90 degrees like a cereal box. Hold the phone sideways so that the image fills the computer screen!

With that dash blank-out cover, you could cut it to the left of the radio so that the switches and the glovebox are accessible. IMO having a glovebox is practical, to keep your maintenance notepad, flashlight, registration, spare fuses, etc. Then you can cut your speedometer hole out, reposition it to the left, buy and cut out another speedo hole from another scrap Beetle, and get this for your main instruments:

You can use that bulged apron off your '73 on this one.

Regardless of whatever changes you do on this one, the moment you get it registered and driveable, you'll have the big satisfaction of revived a lost cause Beetle.

Before you throw out those rough rear fenders, remove the taillamp housings and take measurements of the taillamp mounting holes so that you can position them correctly on better fenders. Many people don't get the position right, mounting them a "few fingers' width" too low.

With your skill at welding the fender reinforcement lips on your '73, you could probably pull that right front fender back into shape and lock the fender edge in its correct position with welding. Could weld a 1/4" round steel bar to the inside contour of the lip where it was kinked to strengthen it. It'll be out of sight from the outside, and be one less part to locate and buy.
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
fredybear wrote:

I'll repost:

Shoulda left it there, or made them pay you to take it Razz

I did not know the woke police were attacking my thread. If I were kicking, screaming and throwing a tantrum, I could see deleting. but, I had a good flow ready to go with pic. Cool Cool My bubble has been burst Sad
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Finnish the bubble but bug yet?

Still welding the fender, IM slooooww

fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
the phone was vertical

Why do people do that? Computers are oriented sideways ("landscape" format)- they are not turned 90 degrees like a cereal box. Hold the phone sideways so that the image fills the computer screen!

With that dash blank-out cover, you could cut it to the left of the radio so that the switches and the glovebox are accessible. IMO having a glovebox is practical, to keep your maintenance notepad, flashlight, registration, spare fuses, etc. Then you can cut your speedometer hole out, reposition it to the left, buy and cut out another speedo hole from another scrap Beetle, and get this for your main instruments:

You can use that bulged apron off your '73 on this one.

Regardless of whatever changes you do on this one, the moment you get it registered and driveable, you'll have the big satisfaction of revived a lost cause Beetle.

Before you throw out those rough rear fenders, remove the taillamp housings and take measurements of the taillamp mounting holes so that you can position them correctly on better fenders. Many people don't get the position right, mounting them a "few fingers' width" too low.

With your skill at welding the fender reinforcement lips on your '73, you could probably pull that right front fender back into shape and lock the fender edge in its correct position with welding. Could weld a 1/4" round steel bar to the inside contour of the lip where it was kinked to strengthen it. It'll be out of sight from the outside, and be one less part to locate and buy.

UM, You write too much stuff UM,,, I got U, I Got It, Im down with that one and the other Cool Shocked Cool
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

KNOCK KNOCK
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

Can’t wait to see the progress on it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle Restoration (The Junkyard Bug) Reply with quote

WHOS THERE? - Orange - Orange Who? Orange ya glad I bought it Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

You can see it in the sunlight Cool Cool

https://youtu.be/E6u0EzSVKp0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: