Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

I kind of believe 200K is close enough to end of life.
You can get the short block from the dealer for $1900.
Drop the motor, pull the heads, have a complete valve job done on the heads,
put them on the new short block, and reassemble.
The long block is $6500, but you can get cheaper "low Mileage" used JDM engines.
But to me used engines are just cores waiting to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Local new car dealer is painting 20 year old Hondas in house and putting them on the lot for $10K ,and getting it. You own the Suby and it's serviceable, case closed.

This is what I don't understand, stories like this of used car prices being bat&*^* outrageous and people actually paying it.
Just a little perusing the intrawebs will still find you a decent deal, if you don't mind perhaps having to drive a ways for it.
Here's a good example-- this one is 5 hours away from me, but a good enough deal to make it worth it:

https://www.shottenkirktoyotaweatherford.com/inven...8f3227944/

Has the 3.6, all the bells and whistles, not too high mileage. Look around folks!!!!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Local new car dealer is painting 20 year old Hondas in house and putting them on the lot for $10K ,and getting it. You own the Suby and it's serviceable, case closed.

This is what I don't understand, stories like this of used car prices being bat&*^* outrageous and people actually paying it.
Just a little perusing the intrawebs will still find you a decent deal, if you don't mind perhaps having to drive a ways for it.
Here's a good example-- this one is 5 hours away from me, but a good enough deal to make it worth it:

https://www.shottenkirktoyotaweatherford.com/inven...8f3227944/

Has the 3.6, all the bells and whistles, not too high mileage. Look around folks!!!!

Many folks have no interest in the search. They want to travel as little as possible, bleep bloop the bank transfer on their phone, and go home with a nice car.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

Click and Clack always said it was less expensive to repair the car you own ,then buy a new used one.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Many folks have no interest in the search. They want to travel as little as possible, bleep bloop the bank transfer on their phone, and go home with a nice car.

Agreed, and those people are more than welcome to get snookered on a deal. My point was simply that a blanket statement about used car prices now being nuts is not accurate- there are still decent used car prices around if you look.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The car's engine is on it's way out. What should I do? Reply with quote

I'm sure parts of the country are easier on the wallet than others. I'm not sure many people will drive 5 hrs to look at a car. Buying locally has always been the cornerstone of used car sales, for good reasons ( knowing your community, having trusted mechanics evaluate the car, etc.). 5 years ago I would not even consider dropping significant money on a used car at 200K. Now I advise all my customers to hang onto what they have as long as possible to avoid a huge, new car expenditure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: