Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Butter Bus Revival
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey I just picked up a pretty neat 1961 split window AKA the Butter Bus and looking to begin the project but I would love to know it’s original color before trying to put the panels back on and repainting it. The code it SK633B but I haven’t been able to identify the correct color yet. Any help helps thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla11 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify this maybe rare color on my 1961 Panel Van Reply with quote

If that's original paint it's in incredible shape. If you go almost to the bottom of the paint code page to the SK codes you'll find SK633B is probably ivory, which it looks like your bus is. Maybe the B refers to the belt line color? Any idea who did the conversion?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify this maybe rare color on my 1961 Panel Van Reply with quote

I have seen that it says Ivory but it also puts a question mark after it so I was not sure. Also I have no idea who or when it was converted but it was originally in Oregon then came to California at some point.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify this maybe rare color on my 1961 Panel Van Reply with quote

I would caution original paint thoughts. The drums, door seals, custom cooling screen are paint matched.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify this maybe rare color on my 1961 Panel Van Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
If that's original paint it's in incredible shape. If you go almost to the bottom of the paint code page to the SK codes you'll find SK633B is probably ivory, which it looks like your bus is. Maybe the B refers to the belt line color? Any idea who did the conversion?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Not original paint as the engine vent grate and gas door lock are painted to match. I would think ivory would be much more white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify this maybe rare color on my 1961 Panel Van Reply with quote

Yep, you're right. Definitely a respray. See if you can find some factory paint hidden somewhere, like in the engine bay.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Redemption Tour Reply with quote

I’ll have to look but everything looks to be the same color as the dash and exterior.
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Not original paint. Mechanism of the right front door is painted like the door.
Try to remove the front headlight and check if you see a paint code in the bucket.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

It looks to me like this was an Ivory color bus. The interior paint on the dash and under dash area still look original to me. The entire outside has been repainted. You could try to remove the repaint on the outside and see how much of the original paint color is left. If it was me I would weld in the new rear wheel arches and weld in new rear engine cooling vents that were cut out and start stripping paint. I used Citri-stip on my old double cab and had pretty good success.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the replies I guess the next step is to re weld the windows and other body modifications and to try to strip the paint down to the original color. I wonder why they put such a strange code on just an ivory panel van. I guess I don’t really get why they didn’t just use the original ivory color code but anyways thanks everyone for the help so far.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Ivory was a special color for the organizations like the red cross in Germany. That is probably the reason for the SK colorcode.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey I just took some photos in the engine bay of what I think is the original paint. If I am wrong please correct me all comments are welcome. Thanks again

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

That looks like the old Marlboro Man holding a pack of cigs. He even has a lasso.

It looks like original Ivory. Why did they paint it black I wonder.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
That looks like the old Marlboro Man holding a pack of cigs. He even has a lasso.

You pass the Rorschach test!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey Everyone I am posting again because I have an engine question and I could use help from those who know a lot more than I do. About two months ago while I was driving my bus a spark plug backed out and was loose in my engine compartment but was still attached to the wire. I immediately pulled over and checked the engine and saw this is what happened which I then waited a few hours or so and put it back in because I thought I had just not tightened it properly when I first put it in. This seemed to be what the issue was since I daily drove it for about two months without any issues except that about a week ago once again the same plug backed out seemingly exactly the same way as before and I once again had to put it back in in order to be able to get back home. This leads me to my question being why has my spark plug backed out twice now and what the solution might be? Any help is much appreciated since this is my only mode of transportation and I don’t want to do any more damage if possible. Thanks Again for any help and Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla11 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Possibly one or more of the below:

Not torqued to proper spec.

Worn head threads.

Badly cut factory threads on the spark plug making it loose.

Missing crush washer on the spark plug.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Could be one of couple scenarios

-someone cross threaded and partially stripped the plug threads
-cracks in head from plug hole to valve (very common)
-head over heated
-plug thread just worn from years of usage. I have seen this happen in a lot of VW heads. The soft aluminum threads can only take so much use and abuse.

I would pull the head and check see condition and repair threads. I like the Timsert kits they are expensive but best method on the market and approved by GM, BMW, and several other major auto manufactures as a "factory repair"

T
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Thanks for all the quick responses. My next question is how difficult would it be to take off the head to check the threads and maybe repair them? I am not opposed to doing all the work and have pulled and done an engine swap last summer after I got it. The only issue I am facing currently is that I am in college and so it is no longer in a driveway. That being said if it’s not a long ordeal or an expensive one I’m just wondering if finding a shop to help out may be easier than me doing it myself. I’m new to all of this so any information is helpful and I want to do everything myself if possible but sometimes the circumstances don’t permit that. Thanks again
-Brad

Last edited by VanillaGorilla11 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

You can easily pull the engine and fix the threads of the head with a Time-Sert without having to remove the head. Might be able to do it as a newbie on a Saturday, maybe need Sunday also to finish it up if you are real fumble fingered.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Alright thank you for the info I guess it’s time to start researching time-serts and how to install them. If anyone has any more advice I’d love to hear it. Thanks for the help again and I’ll be back when I inevitability need some more help down the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: