Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Butter Bus Revival
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,
My front shifter bushing gave out yesterday while driving and I picked up a new one but I could not for the life of me squeeze it into the the guide hole. Is it supposed to be ungodly difficult to put in place or am I doing something wrong?

My method is use a prybar to push the shift rod sticking out of the nosecone back till it clicks into 1st or 3rd.

Go bungee the shifter in a pulled back direction.

You should be able to get the coupler on the tranny part.

Take off the bungee and push it forward.

It should reattach to the new coupler.

Mess around to get the coupler bolts into their recesses.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,
My front shifter bushing gave out yesterday while driving and I picked up a new one but I could not for the life of me squeeze it into the the guide hole. Is it supposed to be ungodly difficult to put in place or am I doing something wrong?

My method is use a prybar to push the shift rod sticking out of the nosecone back till it clicks into 1st or 3rd.

Go bungee the shifter in a pulled back direction.

You should be able to get the coupler on the tranny part.

Take off the bungee and push it forward.

It should reattach to the new coupler.

Mess around to get the coupler bolts into their recesses.

Thanks for the advice and I will be using it. But, I do believe we may be thinking of different bushings. I’m talking about the little nylon one that goes in right beneath the shifter.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,

I don't think you can slide it in. I:
Unbolt the shifter and the front shift coupler
Remove the front shift rod and bracket from the Bus
Slide front shift rod out of bracket
Install bushing in bracket
Slide rod through bushing
Reinstall everything

Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397065

Pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,

I don't think you can slide it in. I:
Unbolt the shifter and the front shift coupler
Remove the front shift rod and bracket from the Bus
Slide front shift rod out of bracket
Install bushing in bracket
Slide rod through bushing
Reinstall everything

I wish I would’ve asked this two years ago when I put the bushing on the first time when I got the bus because shoving it on while all the linkage is still on is a huge pain in the ass. I figured I was doing something wrong because I knew it shouldn’t be this hard for a small bushing. I guess that means I’ll be replacing my entire shift rod soon since the previous owner decided to weld the rods together. Thank you
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,

My method is use a prybar to push....

.... I do believe we may be thinking of different bushings. I’m talking about the little nylon one that goes in right beneath the shifter.

Sheesh doofus alert...thought rear instead of front and coupler instead of bushing.

How are the rods welded together?
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,

My method is use a prybar to push....

.... I do believe we may be thinking of different bushings. I’m talking about the little nylon one that goes in right beneath the shifter.

Sheesh doofus alert...thought rear instead of front and coupler instead of bushing.

How are the rods welded together?

At first I thought you called me a doofus and I was like hey I’m learning here. But then I kept reading and you sir are definitely not a doofus. About the welded rods let me attach a photo so you all can see the handy work of some Californian a while back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

As long as that is welded you might try getting a little length of 3/4" class 100 plastic pipe or 3/4" thinwall plastic conduit, slice it lengthwise, slip it into the shift rod guide gap and put a clamp on the rear part of the pipe.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey,
The bus has been surviving this Arizona heat daily so far getting my to and from school every day. So I decided to take it to a car meet tonight and on the way home on the freeway the car lost power and I quickly pulled it off the road where it promptly died. It started up once after I pulled to the side of the road but it quickly died shortly after. Now currently waiting for triple A as the bus won’t start and it’s getting spark and fuel so I’m confused on what the issue may be and would like some advice.
Thanks
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Where are you getting spark? Are you checking at the spark plugs?

If you’re checking upstream it might not be a good check.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...lsrc=aw.ds

Is the spark blue or white? At least orange ? A red spark and your motor might not even sputter. It’s gotta to be good spark.

Do you smell raw fuel? Is the carb overflowing or leaking anywhere?
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Where are you getting spark? Are you checking at the spark plugs?

If you’re checking upstream it might not be a good check.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...lsrc=aw.ds

Is the spark blue or white? At least orange ? A red spark and your motor might not even sputter. It’s gotta to be good spark.

Do you smell raw fuel? Is the carb overflowing or leaking anywhere?

I pulled every plug and checked for spark and they were all white or blue. The carb also is not leaking nor do I believe it is overflowing. My best guess was that the engine overheated but it sat for about 3 hours before I tried driving it home from the show so idk how it could’ve been so hot. Also on a different note sometimes it doesn’t like to start but will crank over, but 9 times out of ten if I pull the plug going from the top of the distributor going to the coil and turn the engine over while it zaps the body of the distributor when I replug the distributor plug back on it will fire right up. I do not understand how that helps the engine start but I have to do it constantly to get it to start and I know I shouldn’t have to.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

That sounds like a bad coil wire (the wire from coil to top of distributor), or something wrong with the cap, rotor, or rotor button (it’s the little spring loaded doohickey up in the cap that rides on the top of the rotor).
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
That sounds like a bad coil wire (the wire from coil to top of distributor), or something wrong with the cap, rotor, or rotor button (it’s the little spring loaded doohickey up in the cap that rides on the top of the rotor).

I replaced the rotor about a month ago and the plug is always getting spark to the cap so maybe it is the cap.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

I replaced the rotor about a month ago and the plug is always getting spark to the cap so maybe it is the cap.

How do you know the coil wire is always getting spark to the cap? I’d replace it or borrow a known good one from a different vw and see if the issue goes away.
And the cap. I think you’re getting close to being over the target.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Yesterday it wouldn’t hold idle for a little bit and I was able to get it to idle on its own and a drive it about ten minutes to the store after and it ran fine. When I left the store it wouldn’t start so I got a ride home and came back for it a few hours later which it did end up starting, but it lost all power right after I got off the freeway which was about a 5-10 minute drive. After pushing it into my garage I can not seem to get it to start last night or this morning.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Is it still an intermittent lack of spark that seems to be the culprit?

When it won’t start have you ever tried spraying some carb cleaner in the top of the carb ?
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Im pretty sure the engine is overheating causing it to die out while driving. I believe it is getting spark and fuel because whenever I check those two the engine seems to be getting them both. I also am thinking maybe it has poor timing causing it to not start very well, but I’ve been driving it fine for about 5 months daily so idk how the timing could’ve changed so drastically.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey,
Quick Question, when trying to adjust my mixture screw on my carb I see weak sparks arching to my screw driver which I know is not ok. What could be causing this?
Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Hey,
Quick Question, when trying to adjust my mixture screw on my carb I see weak sparks arching to my screw driver which I know is not ok. What could be causing this?
Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays

The engine isn’t grounded to the bus or you have a bare wire somewhere near the carb area.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Coming late to the game but I want to help out with my 2 cents worth…

I had a very frustrating time with my ‘67 losing power and stalling. At first I thought the coil was going bad. Tried a good coil and still the same problem. Hmm… I pulled the coil wire and checked it on an ohm meter. As I moved the wire around with the ohm meter connected I suddenly had open wire readings. Ah Ha! Bad intermittent coil wire. Reinstalled the original coil and put in a new coil wire. Problem solved and this is since summer.

Holding the screwdriver when adjusting the carb which is close to wires and getting arcing indicates to me a very bad wire. Could be the coil wire…

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Hey,
Was wondering if anyone has a clue on why I can get the bus to start and idle while free handing the distributor, then time it using a gun. But when I turn the car off and let it sit for a minute or two it won’t start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: