Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shu513
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Hello. This is my first time posting, and I'd really appreciate your suggestions!!

My car is 64 Notchback converted to 12v system, and located in Japan. I have this car for 3 years, and never had charging problem until this time.
We had pretty heavy rainy season this year. I started the car when it was sunny, and the Generator Control Light on the fuel gauge unit came on and stayed on. I was just thinking that the humidity is messing with the connection somewhere, so I kept the engine running for a while to warm up and dry the system. (I don't really know if it really works or not...) After a few minutes with revving the engine up to 2000 rpm or so, the light went off, thinking everything is ok now. A week later, I started the car and the warning light stayed on and never turned off.

So, I started checking from the generator. I have 90mm small 12v generator, so I was really hoping that the problem is not the generator itself. By checking the output of D+, it was putting out more than 30 or 40v as rpm gets higher. The brushes are good. The battery measurement is 12.7v without running the engine, but it did not change with the engine running. I checked wire connections and tested with multimeter to make sure I have good connections and ground. After all those tests, I came to a conclusion that my Bosch solid state voltage regulator went bad (maybe with high humidity...), so I replaced it with new one. It worked! The light came off and the battery was charging almost 14v for about 30min of running time... then the generator light came back on. I tried revving it up hoping for it to turn off, but it didn't. I repeated the whole testing procedure again, but everything seemed ok, the same as before changing the VR. The car starts fine and runs good.

Could this new VR be the problem? Did I get a bad VR? Or is something causing the VR to go bad?
Should I get it replaced with new one?
Could it be something else?

I really appreciate your help on this issue.

Thank you in advance!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

SHU,
check your brushes. they might be sticking or completely worn out if they are flush with the notch for the spring then they are done/ worn out. the symptoms you are describing remind me of when I first experienced this.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Push down on the upper brush with a screwdriver while it is running & it will make the light go out?
New brushes are only $1.50?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

And if replacing the brushes doesn't fix it, it's replace the voltage regulator time. BTDT.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
shu513
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
SHU,
check your brushes. they might be sticking or completely worn out if they are flush with the notch for the spring then they are done/ worn out. the symptoms you are describing remind me of when I first experienced this.

Thank you, VWporscheGT3! That was my first thought, too. Actually, the brushes were replaced a few months ago and I did try pushing them down. But no change in charging system...
I tried two different Bosch Solid State VRs but still not didn't solve the problem. The first VR I tried worked for 30 min., but did not turn the idiot light to turn off.

I started thinking maybe I should check grounding more carefully, especially the one I have not checked which is ground strap between the transmission case and body.

Mike Fisher wrote:
Push down on the upper brush with a screwdriver while it is running & it will make the light go out?
New brushes are only $1.50?

Thank you Mike! As I mentioned above, the brush push downs didn't work with my only a few months old brushes...

Bobnotch wrote:
And if replacing the brushes doesn't fix it, it's replace the voltage regulator time. BTDT.

Thank you, Bobnotch. My conclusion came to replacing the VR, and I tried two different brand new VRs. The first one worked for 30 min., but never came back working after that. So, I had it replaced with new one and tried it. That did not work at all... Started to make me think maybe grounding is not sufficient enough...

My next step will be to check the grounds again, especially the ground strap between transmission case and body, and add some ground wires for generator and VR if necessary...

Any other opinions and suggestions are appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shu513
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here is the wiring I checked so far.
The brushes are good and they are above the top of holders. The generator tests were performed according to below sites and passed.
http://www.vw-resource.com/generator.html
http://speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

The car starts and runs great, and head lights, turn signals and others do work fine. So the only think I can think of was VR. The first replaced VR worked for a little, but stopped working. The second one does not work at all... Could it be bad ground on VR and/or Generator?
I believe the ground wire from generator is connected to VR for better grounding on newer models. Should I get a jumper wire from D- on gen to VR base where attached to the body for better grounding? Or should I add another jumper wire from VR base to - on battery?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Its been awhile since I have used a VR, but the first thing that popped into my head was the grounding of the VR itself. I would try running a wire to the battery itself, since this would eliminate any other bad connection.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
shu513
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Its been awhile since I have used a VR, but the first thing that popped into my head was the grounding of the VR itself. I would try running a wire to the battery itself, since this would eliminate any other bad connection.

Thank you. I will try running a wire from the base of VR to - on battery. I hope it works!!

BTW, will not grounding the VR damage VR itself? or it just don't work?
shu513
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging, Voltage regulator issue? Reply with quote

Here is quick update.

I checked the ground on VR and it was good. The test light came on at the VR base. Still the generator light is on and no charge at the meter.

So, I re-measured the voltages at below conditions.
Without Engine Running:
12.6 ~ 12.7v @ Battery

With Engine Running:
Point A: 12.4 ~ 12.5v @ Battery, No voltage increase with higher RPM.
Point B: 12.4 ~ 12.5v @ VR B+ and Battery -, it goes up to around 14v with higher RPM.
Point C: around 2v at VR D+ and Battery - (don't know what it really means...)

The voltage increases at point B, so I believe that means the charging system is working, correct? The cable between battery + and VR B+ was recently checked for continuity and was ok. My battery has never been changed since I have the car for little over 3 years. And I believe it was on the car before I got this car. I only drive this car occasionally on weekends.
With above statement, could it be that my battery is too old that it is not accepting the charge? I remember my external battery charger stays at 90% after more than 10 hours of charging time, and never go up to 100%.

I really hope this battery is the cause and replacing with new will solve this whole issue.
Could you please share your thoughts & opinions, and direct me to the right direction?
I don't want to go out and spend unnecessary money on parts...

I really appreciate your support as always.

UPDATE July 20th 10:30 am

So, it's always the most simple idea to lead to the conclusion. I ran a ground wire from Generator Body D- to the base of VR to share the ground. It worked!! It turned the generator light turn of @ higher RPM around 2000 rpm with about 13.7v on volt meter!!!

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I learned so much about the charging system this time.
I really appreciate your support!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: