Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

really think the end is near for a lot of us
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

I think we all like to tinker and at one point or another in our wrenching we've done some borderline shit. Lots of static coming from the EPA that I have been following on and off for a while here and it seems like "shit's gonna get real"

Personally, I blame all the coal rolling assholes. I mean really.... how fucking stupid can you be. Basically, any chip tune/flash, air filter etc not EPA approved is in their sights now.

basically, if you have a cam, dual carbs, exhaust, distributor etc there is a very good chance you're screwed.

this is probably the most tolerable video to watch on the subject:

Link

(there are several vid's on the subject, many sensationalize it. this guy was probably the easiest to watch)

now in my early 40's and not having social media growing up it seemed that we were just a group of friends that would hang out a night or 2 a week. never did we do what many of these YT channels do.

i blame the social media fools as well as the coal rolling assholes but
let's not forget these cars and coffee assholes or the meet ups where they are drifting/street racing etc.

shit, when we hung out back in the day there were like 20-30 of us no doubt.... we may go to a remote road, 2 guys would run it and we'd get the hell out of there....not congregate like a bunch of animals.

we'd hang at a Mc Donalds or a Bess Eaton and really just chill out. we were tame by what they do today. someone may bark off 2nd gear when they left....that's about all we did

if you have time, please consider signing this:

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

don't get me wrong.... i like clean air and water as much as the next guy. i think all these coal rollers/bro dozer asswipes should have their sack dragged across a rusty rasp and should be hit with fines and/or jail time for rolling coal.

same with shows like diesel bros, vegas rat rods etc. i mean even the shittiest diesels from the 50's-70's didn't smoke like these guys with a 2018 do. these shows openly removed cats/egr coolers etc and cranked up the fuel. so stupid...

the house of cards is going to fall due to a small segment of the automotive hobby and these social media fools who put how to do this crap right out in the open are to blame as far as i'm concerned. they should be fined accordingly

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

People in the 1940's hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 1950s hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 1960s hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 1970s hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 1980s hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 1990s hated change...but we did and we survived

People in the 2000s hated change...but we did and we survived

People in the 2010s hated change....but we did and we survived

People in the 2020s also hate change....but we will...and it will be fine.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

it's not about hating change. it's about how deep is this going to go. that k&n you have in your car could be deemed illegal

that exhaust you put on your kids dirt bike.... illegal

the china carb you put on your small engine...illegal

that's my point.

the performance/racing forum here? gone

swap meets selling anything (cams/carbs/exhausts) gone

it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

buying paint without a license is going to be next from what i hear. not sure if that includes house paint and rattle cans but anything you can pour into a gun and spray is what they are going after

Quote:
Last summer, the EPA's document about the proposed new regulations said specifically that hobbyists would be exempt, as they painted a fender here, a door there, or up to two cars per year. But, because of lobbying on the part of the ASA (Automotive Service Association), the NADA, various Body Shop Associations, and environmental groups, the new regulations will, indeed, affect backyard hobbyists.

so kiss buying paint online good by too

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

WTF????!?!? I just entered this world lol. The epa is a butthole sometimes. Sending the petition to everyone I know.

I have a preset map to roll coal on my tdi but I only use it once or twice a year. It really makes you look stupid if your using it all the time.

Well hopefully this crap wont apply to classics although cars are going to become a whole lot more boring if you cant do anything to them.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

When the first kid comes, you realize why this is important. Until then, we are basically tailless monkeys with 0.1% utilized brains.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS OR IT'S GONE.

I bet it never makes it to page 2.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

I work with many manufacturers..... aerospace, medical, automotive, appliances, toys....commodities of all types.

Really....its NOT the EPA that is the root of the problem....per-se. I have worked around and with EPA people. At the base level, the technical people....know their shit and try to protect the environment.

But......they "OVER REACH".....not because they wake up in the morning and say...."hey...lets fuck as many people as we can today....YEAH!".

Its because the bureaucratic level at the top of the EPA....is sucking off whatever current administration is in power to keep their jobs.......and are either ORDERING the technical minions at the regional level to enforce XYZ.....or are ALLOWING the few bad actors there are....to over reach without oversight.

Right now.....the EPA and IRS.....are running FULLY at the behest of the current administration. Both branches....have been moving employees who disagree....laterally out of their jobs. Both EPA and IRS are currently HIRING like mad to refill those positions with people who will enact and enforce policies of the CURRENT administration.

You think Skills is being over the top and is exaggerating the possibilities? You would be dead wrong.

By the way.....with what was just confirmed in the news last week.....government enlistment of social media, telecom and TV....to help police and quash opinions counter to the government....along with a not so veiled threat to read, collect and block counter opinions through SMS/text......if allowed to fully go that route......you think we will be able to bitch about government policy in forums like this for very long?

I can tell you stories right along those lines....from my friends in Hong Kong. Last july they could just email me these stories. Now they are no longer able to do that.....either in email, paper letter or text. I have to wait until they come home for visits or business to hear it verbally.

Yes....all of this is seriously possible. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

I have to agree with the EPA. VW's "dieselgate" falsified emissions numbers were likely a drop in the bucket emissions-wise compared to modders who remove most or all of the emissions control equipment on a vehicle.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I have to agree with the EPA. VW's "dieselgate" falsified emissions numbers were likely a drop in the bucket emissions-wise compared to modders who remove most or all of the emissions control equipment on a vehicle.

Mmmm....no.

Back when this was in the news (VW dieselgate)...after the numbers were finally published of when the tweaked VWs polluted (at what rpm, load and speed)......which turned out to be only polluting beyond federal limits at a maximum of about 25%...my hazmat trainer who spent years working directly for the EPA ....sat down and ran the numbers based on a half million US based cars only.....polluting full time for 100% of drive miles instead of the real 25%.....for a three year period and averaging 25k kiles per year for all cars.

The total tonnage of C02 and sulfur dioxide pollution was equal to roughly a piddling five days of electrical production of a single 600 megawatt, coal fired generating facility. insignificant in the big picture.
Yes....VW got made example of.
Since that period in time....no less than 5 auto manutacturers (that I know of) .....have been busted for major cheating on emissions ....by the same now government funded program from W.VA tech that caught VW.

No big soul crushing lawsuits or $$$$$$$$$$$$ penalties for those guys in the news......right?

As for hobbyiest motoring being a major polluter....according to statista in april 2020.....there are about 380,000,000 vehicles operating on US roads of all types. Even if hobbyiest vehicles represented say.....a wildly exaggerated whopping 10% or 38 million (its more like 1-2%)......the vast majority drive less than 10k miles per year. Less than 1 in 10 are diesels......the total miles, fuel usage and pollution are negligible in the big picture.

Ray
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Is it only diesels that get modded?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

"it's not about hating change. it's about how deep is this going to go. that k&n you have in your car could be deemed illegal".......Thats a change

"that exhaust you put on your kids dirt bike.... illegal"...Thats a change

"the china carb you put on your small engine...illegal".....thats a change

"that's my point.

the performance/racing forum here? gone"...another change

"swap meets selling anything (cams/carbs/exhausts) gone"....another change.

The world changes...its always does. Some are threatened by it and some embrace it. Like it has always been. Some find comfort in what they know. Others find excitement in something new.

Trust me....25 years from now our kids will chuckle when they tell stores about their parents being all concerned about an exhaust on a minibike..

Heck.....kids in 25 years from now won't have a clue what a swap meet was yet they will still be tinkering with whatever has evolved from where we are today
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Not all change is good dude
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Changin' yer shorts every few weeks is good. Wearing the same ones year 'round "because that's the way we've always done it" isn't really good for anybody.

Evolve or die. Cycle of life.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

I remember the early 60s when in school we would have drills where you ran into the hall, knelled down facing the wall and put your heads between your knees. I lived 12 miles from the Empire State building which was considered ground zero for a nuclear bomb attack. I would of been vaporized in a second.

The only thing that scares me is cable news.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

So living where I do, I don't see that "rolling Coal" bullshit that much, it seems that the people that do that pumping mega black smoke on purpose are being dickwads, assholes, call it what you want, it's just another way for assholes to show everyone they are being an asshole, does it really help there truck preform better ?? Just another example of people following one dirtbag's lead of, "be obnoxious, it gets you noticed". I'd rather see Cops pull these pricks over, ticket them & have the truck towed, fine them big bucks until they get it fixed, but that's just me being naive....... Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

And yes, the end is near for some, more than others, according to my Doctors... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

The title is a bit dramatic and I must admit I am conflicted on the topic.

A month ago while parked at the local movie theater to take in a movie and escape the heat for a bit I came out to discover that the catalytic converter had been stolen off of my twenty year old Honda CRV.

I'm a California resident so anything but original smog equipment will cause me to fail smog testing. On a twenty year old car replacing a $4,300 converter is out of the realm of reality. I'm not going to go to a shady muffler shop to have a used converter that was probably the one stolen off of my car reinstalled and charged $1,000 to do it. I have reluctantly had a pipe welded in to replace the converter and will have to leave the state before I have to get it smogged. leaving the state has been in the cards anyway. can't afford to live here anymore.

I grew up as an environmentalist and was pretty radical in my younger days. I've mellowed with age but still would rather have clean air to breath than not.

I recently moved off the mountain from necessity and now live in semi-rural Mentone, which is orange grove country. It's a half mile from stop sign to stop sign in front of my grove/house. The kids in their modified Japanese sports cars blast by here at 70 mph all day long after slumming in San Bernardino on their way home to Yucaipa in the wealthier burbs. The noise and the rate of speed they travel is highly annoying. It doesn't let up until 1 or 2 in the morning and then picks up again about 8 in the morning. Digs at me that my Honda now sounds something like those modified cars that irritate me so much.

The Honda gets driven up the hill a couple of times per month and will be driven in winter back in Michigan. I have three buses one a very original 36 hp 1957 Kombi and the other two are 1600 single port Buses that get driven for local runs or shows. I've concluded that I'm not a major contributor to the smog problem in my area. I keep my cars in good, not perfect shape, and the engines well tuned.

It's the reckless kids that have me concerned. They go back and forth driving for recreation not purpose. In the six months I've been here there have been two fatal and many other less major wrecks mostly within two miles of my residence.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
So living where I do, I don't see that "rolling Coal" bullshit that much, it seems that the people that do that pumping mega black smoke on purpose are being dickwads, assholes, call it what you want, it's just another way for assholes to show everyone they are being an asshole, does it really help there truck preform better ?? Just another example of people following one dirtbag's lead of, "be obnoxious, it gets you noticed". I'd rather see Cops pull these pricks over, ticket them & have the truck towed, fine them big bucks until they get it fixed, but that's just me being naive....... Rolling Eyes

Funny you should say that!

5 years ago I attended the Adirondack Nationals in Lake George, Ny. there was this huge lifted Chevy 4x4 diesel cruising the strip. Every time the driver passed the huge crowd (5 people deep for the mile we were standing).
The driver would hit the fuel pedal causing the truck to belch a huge black cloud of smoke.
This went on for about 2 hours.
Then the truck disappeared. 45 minutes later. A roll back tow truck came around the corner with the Chevy loaded up. As the tow truck passed the crowd, we all cheered and clapped at the sight of that POS on the tow truck.

The Chevy driver was a female. Not all douches are men!
The police had that pile towed. Good for the police!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

The sky is falling, the sky is falling 😀 have you nothing better to do than worry about stupid shit like this? Relax it’s gonna be ok.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Yes things do have a way of working out, but they don't all by themselves. It requires a catalyst and some action on our parts to make things happen. Bad air, regulate it, bad government legislate it.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: