Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Greetings again, TheSamba!

Now that Betty, my original ‘67 Beetle purchase, is officially a salvage/parts car, I decided to use her as a donor. After saving up for a bit, I purchased this ‘67 Java Green sedan. It is a driver—and in MUCH better condition than I expected!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I had it for a week, I began to wonder about a few things. So, I turn to the collective wisdom of TheSamba.

The body and pan match. If I understood the chart correctly, this was made in January 1967.

There are definitely some parts that are not original and do not belong (the bumpers are a prime example. I’ll take them from Betty.). I am curious about the trunk lid and fenders, though. Those aren’t original, are they?

While it is a perfectly functional driver, I began to wonder what it would take to bring it to stock appearance. I have already replaced some things with parts in better condition from my original ‘67. Here is the dash and back end:

Do I have any reason to be too suspicious that (at some point) parts of the body were replaced?

Lastly, the engine was rebuilt. Here is the tag:

I have no idea how to track any of that information down. I was told it was a factory rebuild. At this point, I am not even sure I have the skill to identify it as a 1500. I have spare parts (a 30PICT-1, a push-pin generator, and a 205k distributor), but because I don’t know how to identify this engine, I do not know if they will work. Can I get some help?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

The engine could be 1500, 1600, 1641, 1679 or anything else.
If it's a single port engine. It would be a great idea to use the 30 pict 1 carb and the 205 K dist. That's what was delivered from the factory.
This is what I'm gonna run in my 67. Once I install the single port engine later this summer.

The fenders appear to be original. But a good way to tell is place two fingers between the horn opening and the fender seem. If two fingers just cover that distance. The fenders are believed to be original. Any more than two fingers, likely a repop fender.

Your bumpers are gross. Very Happy

If there has been body parts grafted onto the car. It was likely in an accident. Or they parts were so rusted that they needed to be replaced with OG metal.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The engine could be 1500, 1600, 1641, 1679 or anything else.
If it's a single port engine. It would be a great idea to use the 30 pict 1 carb and the 205 K dist. That's what was delivered from the factory.
This is what I'm gonna run in my 67. Once I install the single port engine later this summer.

The fenders appear to be original. But a good way to tell is place two fingers between the horn opening and the fender seem. If two fingers just cover that distance. The fenders are believed to be original. Any more than two fingers, likely a repop fender.

Here’s the thing… there are no horn openings. That is what made me wonder about the fenders.

67rustavenger wrote:
Your bumpers are gross. Very Happy

Indeed! My original bumpers are better, but even those aren’t pretty. Changing those out will be an after-work project one day this week.

67rustavenger wrote:
If there has been body parts grafted onto the car. It was likely in an accident. Or they parts were so rusted that they needed to be replaced with OG metal.

There is bondo under some of the paint. Don’t know the reason it is there. Once I have enjoyed the summer with it, I intend to look a bit harder at the body.

Overall, I am VERY happy with my purchase! I bought it to drive it. It just is good to know exactly what I have—and how original it is.

Last edited by Cretodecristo on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

… you're gunna' get all kindza' opinions …

Overall, the car looks super-nice, including the front bumper - love bumpers, like that - lucky you - all the sheet metal looks correct - but who cares 'bout correct - like the carpet, isn't...

Just do it the way, you want - keep Betty an individual - zen
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Very nice car, I also have a Java 67.I am thinking that you have a rebuilt engine I couldnt say if it is a Factory rebuild or not. Yours doesnt have the right air cleaner and some of the engine tin work is from an earlier bug, but over all it is a very nice bug. I wish my paint was as nice as yours, get it safe to drive and enjoy it. Very Happy A shot of my 67,
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

To be clear. I wasn't putting your car down. My first 67 was Java Green. Sprayed with a hideous metallic blue later in life way back in 1975.
I killed that car. They don't seem to mate well with Dashers. Shocked

The OP asked for opinions. So I offered mine. No offense.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Cretodecristo, congratulations on your Java green '67! Hopefully, she's as rustfree as possible. Otherwise, it appears to be in a very nice overall condition, needing only some fairly minor things to get her in proper state.

About your front fenders - Yes, it's odd that someone would have sealed up the horn grills! If you find evidence of bondo or body work up under there, then that's potentially good. (as all the factory original fenders had horn grills, with the aforementioned '2 finger' spacing) If not, then it's possible that the fenders are some type of aftermarket variety from who knows where. Also, you can pull off the turn signals on top of fenders to check the mounting hole. If the hole is circular, then it's original factory, if the hole is "D" shaped, it's aftermarket. Your hood appears to be a proper '67..

You're obviously missing a few minor details that are easily addressed such as front and rear bumper braces, the '67 backup lights and their mounting brackets, the correct '67 ashtray, complete horn ring, seats look "off", the carpeting,... and the engine looks cobbled together to get it / keep it running with whatever was available bits and pieces (40 hp air cleaner, non '67 pulley, carb, fuel pump, etc etc etc).. If it were me, I'd pop off one of those rivets holding the rebuilt engine data plate numbering and rotate it around far enough to peek under it to see what was rebuilt to begin with. If the stamping begins with H0 XXX XXX, it's possible it could be the 1500 originally assigned to your car. It could be anything, really, and hard to tell what's inside (1500?, 1600? 1300??) without tearing into it.

If she's running and stopping now, then I'd just enjoy it as is, while you gradually get it to how you'd want it. It looks like a very nice '67 "score" you got there!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

The driver side front quarter looks off to me ... maybe just odd reflections or maybe it was hit in the front. That would certainly explain the replacement fenders.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Some non 1967 engine components besides the afore mentioned air filter are the coil, distributor, fuel pump. This ones a little closer to original.

The coil on the one above may have been replaced, at least the bracket as it should not have the hole in it. None of the hose clamps are original.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Fenders are most likely from a 68, with bumper brackets filled in,or, aftermarket fenders with no horn grills.
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Hi, a little off topic I know, but looking at your engine compartment, I think I can see a plastic fuel filter lurking behind the distributor. It's your car; it's your call; and the subject's been beaten to death on the Samba.com for many years, but I'd personally relocate it out of the engine compartment and position it over the transaxle to reduce the risk of a fire.
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

I took some time today (after the rain) to look at the front fenders. The driver’s side front fender was replaced at some point, for whatever reason. It has bondo where the cutout should be. The passenger side front fender has a “D” hole for the parking lights and do not seem to have the cutout at all. The headlight rings are aftermarket, as well. I have Hella SB12s from Betty, so I’ll replace them eventually.

When I bought the car, the gentleman who sold it to me was up-front about the bumpers and seats. He told me that it was a good driver, not a concourse car. It will never be. That is what I purchased. There are parts that are not original, which is okay—for now. However, I want to know those parts and eventually replace them. Over time, I intend to get it back as close as I can to original. I have the early ‘67 seats (reupholstered…which need it again) and better bumpers—with the backup lights and mounts. The seller was wrong about the bondo, however. I have found quite a bit under that paint. Apparently, some previous owner had body work done. It has a little rust, especially around the battery tray, of course. The rest that I have found can become a problem but is not now. Even though I live in South Carolina, the body work can wait until winter.

I must admit, after my disappointment with Betty, I am more than happy to have this bug! The car runs well. Outside of routine engine work, I she’s not too bad! I have nearly all the parts to bring it back to factory specs, but I am not really in much of a hurry. I want to enjoy what I have—even if my wife refuses to ride in it. She says it stinks. Maybe she will cruise with me once I replace all the seals and everything in the interior?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Creto your a good man, with a positve attitude, good luck with your recent purchase, find that stink so that wife can enjoy the car with you,
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Looks like you found a solid '67 with your green one.

Quote:
There are parts that are not original, which is okay—for now. However, I want to know those parts and eventually replace them
You probably know from your '67 donor car that each bumper should have 2 supports that go from the vertical overriders down thru the fenders and attach to the bumper bracket bolt. Those supports are for "triangulation" strength. You might be able to remove the rear bumper and have success to push out that dent on the right side. Don't try to bang it out from behind with a ball-peen hammer, because it'll only transfer the impact point to the rear visible surface of the bumper. You'd need a larger, rigid contact piece to spread the push load against a larger surface of the inner side of the bumper blade.

The distance of the right taillamp is slightly farther outboard and lower than the left one. IMO the left taillamp is located correctly. Easy to measure inwards to the fender seam where the fender attaches to the body. But most people would not notice that. This is a relatively easy fix, by making a paper template of the left taillamp, then positioning it on the right fender to observe the mismatch. Remove the right taillamp and drill new holes in the fender to match the position of the left taillamp. Seal the edges of the newly drilled holes with a coat of touch-up paint (any color); the rubber taillamp base seal will hide the holes.

You can freshen up the wheels with spray paint, using gloss ivory/parchment for the outer portion and semi-gloss black for the centers. Make shields for the tires by buying several thin plastic "for sale" signs at HW store and taping them together in the form of a large funnel. Stick the inner edges firmly into the gap outboard of the rim edge so that it covers the tire where it contacts the rim. Do this first on all 4 wheels, then when the paint is dry, remove some of the signs to make a smaller diameter "funnel" and stick the edges down into the gap between the outer portion of the rim and the inner hump. If you pull up the sign funnel while the paint is drying/tacky, make sure you pull it straight off the wheel and not tilted so that the edge does not brush against the drying black paint.
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

lhd65bug wrote:
Hi, a little off topic I know, but looking at your engine compartment, I think I can see a plastic fuel filter lurking behind the distributor. It's your car; it's your call; and the subject's been beaten to death on the Samba.com for many years, but I'd personally relocate it out of the engine compartment and position it over the transaxle to reduce the risk of a fire.

I'm one of the ones who prolongs this argument. The fuel filter thing is parroted and overblown IMO. You have clamps on the lines which is good. I've found the issue is with the brass pipe coming loose from the carburetor to be the issue rather than the fuel filter itself. That said, if you look at factory photos and manual pics you'll not see a fuel filter like those anywhere on the car. Not by the fuel tank or over the transmission as some suggest. If everything is as it should be you will have a filter sock in your gas tank and another built into the fuel pump. How many filters do you really need? In those alternate locations out of sight the filters go years without replacement and can cause fuel delivery problems from trapped contaminants like rust. I've been running successfully without one of those filters anywhere on multiple cars for many years without any issues.

The "stink" is usually from the old coconut fibers that are the seat padding and are usually a part of all old VW's.

Get a longer length of vacuum line up to the carburetor. It prevents fuel fumes from destroying the distributor vacuum canister prematurely. Those after market canisters are not known for their longevity as it is. Originally there was a shepherds crook to do the job.- see the blue bug pic

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
In those alternate locations out of sight the filters go years without replacement and can cause fuel delivery problems from trapped contaminants like rust.

Sounds like they are needed and working, then? My thought is that, while these filters may not have been needed 50 years ago, they might be needed now, as a lot can happen to an old fuel system. It's just a piece of insurance. If there is rust (as you mentioned above), it may save your machinery - and it's pretty cheap.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
That said, if you look at factory photos and manual pics you'll not see a fuel filter like those anywhere on the car. Not by the fuel tank or over the transmission as some suggest. If everything is as it should be you will have a filter sock in your gas tank and another built into the fuel pump. How many filters do you really need?
Of course those pictures were not taken of 50+ year old cars with 50 year old tanks.

Max
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Or, you could take it the other way. Out of sight out of mind creates issues when the filter is forgotten about for years. The tiny amount of minute impurities that passes through a fuel system over a period of hours or days will likely do no harm. Collect it into multiple small restrictive spaces invites trouble. While your tank may be fifty years old hopefully you've done some maintenance in that period of time so that you shouldn't have fifty years of trouble lurking. If you haven't, then you get to learn the hard way.

Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about a new ‘67 Sedan purchase Reply with quote

Thank you for pointing out fuel filter issue. I recognize that it is a thing. However, I did not ask to have the fuel filter argument replayed in this thread. There are a lot of back and forth in other threads about it that appear less fruitful. I had hoped to increase my knowledge and add value to the community when I began writing my original post’s questions.

I originally asked about the parts that are currently on my recently-acquired beetle and whether they were original. I have received a lot of helpful guidance. Please do not erode the value of others’ posts with this back and forth. It is almost as bad as attempting to convince a ‘67 Bug owner that their particular year’s vehicle isn’t that special.

Respectfully,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: