Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

This post is a bit boring but I know a lot of us run performance engines without heat.

So...

What are some creative, clean, and simple ways to block off those protuding heater ducts/holes/tubes in the body that those black plastic accordion like pieces attach to (under the luggage/rear well area?)

I figure those holes are letting unwanted noise and potentially fumes into the cabin so I want to do something about it. The various control flaps inside the car are far from air tight. I have an idea but wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks,
Evan
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

My 61 Baja came to me with simple rubber plumbing clean-out caps hose-clamped on with nicer stainless clamps, looked pretty clean honestly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Freeze plugs Glue, clamp or weld in place
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

stuff green tennis balls in there
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Agreed, tennis balls. Perfect fit and easy to remove.
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Plastic tops from - spray paint cans... or lubricating oil spray cans. or brake clean... or...whatever aerosols you have lying around!.... most.. not all... fit... and slip under the little side clips on the protruding tube "stubs" pretty good.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Oatey gripper plug. You can replace the wing nut with a hex to get it really tight.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Cut that shit out and weld it flat. Save room and weight and it looks clean. I'm sure the purist are crying right now lol. Diesle and gas heater work better anyhow.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

^^^ While this may be a fine idea for a driver that doesn't care for heat in the colder months. Some of us want heat.

I can run three different engines in my 67,
1600 SP with heater boxes.
1679 with heater boxes.
2180, depending on the exhaust I run, Junk EMPI header with J tubes, Junk EMPI header with heater boxes, or CSP EVO with heater boxes.

I want to be able to connect the heat when it's needed. There's nothing worse than foggy windows on a cool dark fall morning.

I found that when the tubes weren't connected to the body of the car. I'd get residual heat and fumes in the cabin when running the J tubes. Even with the controls in the closed position.
I just used tape to cover the heat tube connections. But now that I'm reading this thread. I'll try some of the suggestions above.
Other than the cutting and welding idea. To each his/her own.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

2.5" pvc cap. Used duct tape to make it a tight fit then cover with undercoat.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

I did what Chickensoup said except I used aluminum plate that I first used black silicone sealant at the mating surfaces and then instead of welding I stainless steel pop riveted.

As for the heater channels the run from the back of the bug to the front, I slammed A long galvinized 2" ( I think ) Pipe through each channel and drilled 3/8" holes through the body of the car and through the pipe. Fastened with Domed bolts. If I was not going to have heat at least I was going to have a more ridge frame .
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

In many jurisdictions a car without defrost is not street legal. Check your local laws. Not sure about heat but you have to be able to see to drive in most places. Pretty basic safety requirement.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
In many jurisdictions a car without defrost is not street legal. Check your local laws. Not sure about heat but you have to be able to see to drive in most places. Pretty basic safety requirement.

let's be honest, most of of have at least 3 or 4 things on our cars that are not "street-legal"... Laughing

hell, if a cop really wants to be a dick about it, technically, hanging ANYTHING from your rear view mirror "obstructs your vision" and they can cite you for it..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

I must confess to running without a horn for many years. I did find it curtailed my road rage though but no other dire consequences were experienced.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

I used spray paint caps and silicone.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Most states in the US don't have any kind of safety inspections, the ones that do are pretty basic compared to Europe or Canada.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Well first emissions. In NY state, until a car was over 25 years old you had to have emissions tests. After 25 you do not get tested for emissions??? Fine with me-- I guess after 25 years magic happens and you do not put out emissions?? My wife will tell you differently, I come home from a long drive and she says, take a shower you stink.

As for other league things --

Way low dropped front end,

5 mph bumpers removed and slice thin bumpers are on the car.

Oh and T-4 engine not original equipment ( by the way that is why alot of guys in Europe went with my Cali Style Upright Conversion, that used stock VW fanhousing. The officials could not tell that the engine was a T-4 looks like a T-1"

Seriously I get stopped by the police quite often, only to talk about the car and sometimes take photos behind the wheel.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Maybe on newer cars.

But a vintage car failing an inspection for no defrost? I kinda question that.

Your family had aircooled VW's in the past. Did they fail the road worthyness inspections, because the front windshield was a bit foggy? Not likely!

That said. I still like to see clearly during early fall/winter mornings on the way to work.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I must confess to running without a horn for many years. I did find it curtailed my road rage though but no other dire consequences were experienced.

I’m calling the Mounties.

But on type 3’s they have a mount that bolts to the body, remove that and cover with a flat plate with some weather strip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing heater ducts under car (for J tubes w/ out heater boxes) Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
oprn wrote:

I’m calling the Mounties.

But on type 3’s they have a mount that bolts to the body, remove that and cover with a flat plate with some weather strip.

I already did! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: