Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Door problem Reply with quote

Hi ...... I've got a 71 bay window. In this photo the door is shut and only opens 5" unless I take my finger and push part A in toward the body. I'm
wondering if someone put part B on incorrectly. Maybe it needs to be turned clockwise. What do you think ? Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door problem Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to you question.
But this is a great post of Colin's for revamping your mechanism...
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=4...21ac3bc10b

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Door problem Reply with quote

basically yes. it's upside down and backwards

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Door problem Reply with quote

Looked at some older pictures of my latch, and you can see the same thing in Colin's post pictures - that part you have labeled "B" needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees, but I noticed it's also installed upside down/backwards - the cam lobe of that part needs to be going in the other direction so that it slides/pushes part "A".

If you can, definitely take the time to do the hinge refresh/rebuild - like Kent mentioned check out Colin's post...his technical writeups are awesome, and it's worth the time for sure.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Door problem Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Looked at some older pictures of my latch, and you can see the same thing in Colin's post pictures - that part you have labeled "B" needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees, but I noticed it's also installed upside down/backwards - the cam lobe of that part needs to be going in the other direction so that it slides/pushes part "A".

If you can, definitely take the time to do the hinge refresh/rebuild - like Kent mentioned check out Colin's post...his technical writeups are awesome, and it's worth the time for sure.

Yeah I thought something was a little fishy so I'll flip it etc and do the rebuild. Thank you fellows for the news. I'll ASSUME that Colins hinge mechanism is the same as my 1971 right ?
Anymore my brain is upside down and backwards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: