Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

I thought this would be easy to find but it is not.

Does anyone have images and location for OG or NOS laminated safety glass windshield markings? Both the marking and location on the glass. If you do please post along with what year your car is.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

Other ponderings as i am sure there many different logo's and manufactures. Would all pieces of glass have the same markings? I think no since the rest are tempered.

Some i have located in gallery.

No year specified. From Scottyhoffo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64. from seb67

No year specified. From matarcos9101

No year specified. from Riff Raff

Oval window. From BilliBill

Oval Vert. From BilliBill

No year specified. From Snort

67 replacement window. From Antonio Trejo

66 bug.

No Year specified. From Bugzilla

53. From SCVW

For comparison here is a Chinese modern label. From vcfvw69

Also for comparison. The reproduced tempered logo by kaefer-Nostalgie

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

Glass etchings are *notoriously* hard to photograph. As I was only interested in 1967, I only tracked these two. I have one at home of my cracked windshield I will try to post tonight. Good luck!

Are you trying to make an etching for your 64 (I'm thinking I'm remembering correctly)?

By the way - those photos above are *great*!!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

Are you trying to make an etching for your 64 (I'm thinking I'm remembering correctly)?

Thank you and yes, this is for my 64 restoration.

I am going to reproduce the logo and etch it on a new piece of glass for my project. (If i do not start a new thread thought then questions like this get lost in my build thread...)

Parts i am looking for:
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

I've made the point on another post about the legality and morality of doing this. Note I live in Australia but I would assume the rules in the US would be similar.

The markings AS1 and AS2 relate to the type of glass being installed. It is a legal STANDARD that shouldn't be messed with.

People who are doing this are potentially identifying a type of glass incorrectly meaning that you could be installing a type of glass that is not what the markings are identifying. This could be illegal but also fraudulent if you are identifying the maker of the glass when it is made somewhere else. This is called "Passing Off" in legal terms (at least in Oz).

I understand the interest in making a car look original but I see this as no different to changing a VIN number to make something original when it clearly is not.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I've made the point on another post about the legality and morality of doing this. Note I live in Australia but I would assume the rules in the US would be similar.

Thank you Viiking. Your points are very valid especially if selling the glass to others which is not my intent.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

Thank you to Doug Barber & his all original 64 bug i got the images i was looking for today.

Parts i am looking for:
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OG or NOS US spec laminated windshield markings. Who has images? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
viiking wrote:

Thank you Viiking. Your points are very valid especially if selling the glass to others which is not my intent.

No my point is that the marking is a registered logo (in the USA system) for a manufacturer who proves that the glass is either AS1 or AS2 by meeting a standard. You can't take a windshield made in say a Chinese factory, etch it with a logo saying it was made by Sekurit. It is counterfeit.

You might be not selling the car or windshield to someone else but it is still not correct.

There is a possibility that you can void your insurance if you have knowingly done this.

I am just pointing out the issue for people contemplating this. It's your car and your responsibility so do what you think is correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: