Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

So I'm at that part of the build that takes time & attention to detail...

Example 1). The gas tank is beautiful and ready to be installed...
I don't have any supports for the 'glass, rubber biscuits, etc. Embarassed Back to WW!

Example 2)
. Wiring harness has arrived, fuel pump is installed... I don't have the fuel pump controller yet! Aaarrggghh! Evil or Very Mad

When you are assembling larger components, it's easy to see progress. You can't miss a front beam, an exhaust system etc. Now I'm down to the fine hairs.

Motorcycles are like this too. the last 10% takes 90% of the effort/time.

At this point everything was progress, everything. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Update 10/17/22

It's time to wire up the buggy. All of the major components are in place. I got one of the 12 circuit kits from Speedway motors. It is "GM" based so ought to play nice with the similar steering column.

Step one was finishing up the fuel pump and associated components

Step 2 was fetching out the "FRONT" wires and getting them secured and routed to their appropriate locations

Step 3 Install the gas tank for (hopefully) the last time

Step 4 was installing conduits or raceways. My buggy doesn't have factory installed tubes, so I found some flexible conduit and straps at the local home improvement center and ran a couple of lengths under the side board and across the rear of the buggy

Then get the "REAR" circuits to the rear

Back to the front, dash, gauges, ignition etcetera, I decided to add a couple of terminal strips where I could break out multiple conductors on the same circuit... 12VDC+, 12 VDC-, switched 12+, Tach, etc. That way I won't need 5 wires landed on the ignition switch for example

Then I ran out of weekend Crying or Very sad

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveM.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Looking good!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

SteveM. wrote:
Looking good!

Thanks Steve. Much appreciated. Very Happy

Saturday was spent on the work bench with the dash, some gauges and an assortment of wire & connectors. (A special thanks to my "donors" Wink )

I chose Autocraft gauges... Monster Tach, oil pressure and oil temp. An originalish speedo and universal ignition switch

I also wrapped up the motor end connections... but no pictures... dammit Crying or Very sad

Be safe everyone. Paul

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Back from KCMO over the weekend and managed to get the fuel system sorted, a battery, and... found the motor was tighter than a Nun's... well, you get the idea! It didn't want to turn over in the bellhousing. After contacting the builder, I was instructed to back off the motor and prove that the problem had cleared... and it did!. Re-clearance the bellhousing and viola! The motor turns! Man what a relief!

Remove plugs and unplug coil, crank until oil pressure shows up. Put plugs back in, connect coil and... one more time she fired right up for the first time! It's so exciting. for the first time in over 20 years (according to the tags) the buggy runs! It was so tempting to drive it down the street Very Happy

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Update 11/21/22:

It's starting to wind down, & I think I have everything to finish it up except time! Rolling Eyes

Over the weekend & between honeydos I managed to get the front lights mounted up & wired...

The headlights are from Summit, and I must admit, they are of pretty high quality. Higher than expected in today's market.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Lookin' good. Wink
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
Lookin' good. Wink

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Very Happy

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Gawd is this thing fun to drive!

The neighbors hate me tho! Twisted Evil

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

So yesterday I made the first legit road trip complete with tags, license and insurance. Turns out that new tail lights don't come with bulbs! Mad I only had one in the garage without stealing one from one of the other vehicles. I figured surely I wouldn't be the only guy out with a "burned out" tail light, so off we headed to the FLAPS for an 1157 and many looks. Cool

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Congrats! They are fun to driv
SteveM.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Looks good Slayer!

New headlights are on my list too, I will check out Summit [havent thought of them]

Happy Holidays!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's just a ball. Very entertaining.

On the maiden voyage I discovered that my steering was less than ideal. It just didn't feel right. Wouldn't you know the only part on the chassis I didn't recondition or replace, the steering box, needs some love now Embarassed
Have you tried to buy a TRW box lately? It's like buying an 1 5/8" exhaust all over again... dammit. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

From July of last year!

Would sure have been easy to do then, wouldn't it?

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Does it have lube in it? If it has some slack there is an adjustment to take it out.
How about the tie rod ends? Or is it more how it handles on the road. The car has a lot of rake, did you put castor shims behind the beam? With that rake you might need 2 sets of shims.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

On the maiden voyage I discovered that my steering was less than ideal. It just didn't feel right. Wouldn't you know the only part on the chassis I didn't recondition or replace, the steering box, needs some love now Embarassed
Have you tried to buy a TRW box lately? It's like buying an 1 5/8" exhaust all over again... dammit. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

From July of last year!

What do you have for access with the body on? For the most part these old boxes can be adjusted to work. The failure point is if the roller binds and quits rolling or if the roller develops excess end play in its cage. If you can see in the oil/grease fitting holes you can determine if either is the case. By design the worm gear is cut so the steering is tight only in the middle of its travel, excess play when off center cannot be felt when the vehicle is in motion because the steering is trying to return to center.

I don't think the new TRW boxes are available. I compared my old box to one of the other new steering boxes and decided to adjust my old box. I looked in the oil hole and verified that the roller is turning and not moving back and forth in the cage. I also filled the box with the thickest oil I could find. I found the center of travel and put the input there. I loosed the roller adjustment a little and then set the worm end play to a smooth zero. I then tightened the roller to find that no play spot in the center of travel. It moves slightly off center as the worm bearing is adjusted. From there I tightened just a little more so there was about 90 degrees of input travel with zero play in the pitman arm.

The quickest fix that I would trust (in light of the quality reputation of the new boxes) would be a rebuilt original steering box. Airkewld is the only place I know of offering rebuilt original steering boxes.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

As EVFun said, you can easily adjust the steering box. I also strongly suggest that if you have not checked your alignment, both front and rear, do so. When off, the buggy can have a tendency to wander. Caster shims have helped my buggy to track straight. Also, check that you pitman arm is on tight.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Buggy looks like a blast. Glad to see it all come together for you. Well done.👍👍
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Does it have lube in it? If it has some slack there is an adjustment to take it out.
How about the tie rod ends? Or is it more how it handles on the road. The car has a lot of rake, did you put castor shims behind the beam? With that rake you might need 2 sets of shims.

Yes Sir. It has lube in it. I even went to the trouble of drilling & tapping the lid for 1/8 NPT so I could add a zerk and a plug. Tie rod ends are brand new, and it has castor shims (2 ea.) behind the beam.

I tried to pay attention to how it responds this weekend, and made a few observations...
1). It's "tight" or difficult to turn even with the front end elevated off the ground
2). It's "loose" there is an excessive amount of slop in the steering wheel before the front wheels turn, on the ground or in the air.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

From July of last year!

What do you have for access with the body on? For the most part these old boxes can be adjusted to work. The failure point is if the roller binds and quits rolling or if the roller develops excess end play in its cage. If you can see in the oil/grease fitting holes you can determine if either is the case. By design the worm gear is cut so the steering is tight only in the middle of its travel, excess play when off center cannot be felt when the vehicle is in motion because the steering is trying to return to center.

I don't think the new TRW boxes are available. I compared my old box to one of the other new steering boxes and decided to adjust my old box. I looked in the oil hole and verified that the roller is turning and not moving back and forth in the cage. I also filled the box with the thickest oil I could find. I found the center of travel and put the input there. I loosed the roller adjustment a little and then set the worm end play to a smooth zero. I then tightened the roller to find that no play spot in the center of travel. It moves slightly off center as the worm bearing is adjusted. From there I tightened just a little more so there was about 90 degrees of input travel with zero play in the pitman arm.

The quickest fix that I would trust (in light of the quality reputation of the new boxes) would be a rebuilt original steering box. Airkewld is the only place I know of offering rebuilt original steering boxes.

EVFun,
Thanks for the input. AirKeweld is definitely on my short list for fixes, but Santa didn't bring me one, so maybe next month! Embarassed

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Buggy looks like a blast. Glad to see it all come together for you. Well done.👍👍

Thank you Sir! Much appreciated!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: