Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny questions from passersby
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I was loading my kayak into the bus today at the beach and a couple of hikers were commenting on my 1966 Deluxe. First they asked "Are you the original owner?" and I'm thinking "Maybe I do look 80 years old" or maybe they have problems with elementary math. I'll go for the latter. Then they asked "Is it the original engine?" I guess it could be, rebuilt multiple times. Clearly they were looking for originality.

Has anyone else had strange questions from bystanders?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I spent the last two summers at the beach w my family in my 64.
We go there to soak up sun and REST -

The Bus stays home now.

We just cannot take the invasion into our small camp area, the dumb questions are getting "dumber" every decade, or are the people?
But Yes, the OG owner thing comes up all the time on top of "is that one of those 38 windows?" Math & logic does not apply in the 21st century.
The hyper prices have ruined more than Driving a Bus for enjoyment. The 70's & 80's memories I cherish when Buses were considered junk, but the fun inside was priceless. I bought a small RV-it's peaceful now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
I was driving my '65 doublecab and stopped at a stoplight in Portland Oregon a few years back, and someone in the car next to me asked if we were living in our car. The back of the truck was loaded with swap stuff. The truck is a really nice original paint unit, that does not look beat up or patina'd at all. There would be nowhere to sleep in the truck for one person, much less two people. I wondered what the heck he was thinking. I had no time to think of a comeback or anything. All I can figure is that he thought we were some broke ass hippys that couldn't afford to live in a house, and he had no idea that the truck I was driving was worth several times the value of whatever he was driving.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

One of top - and most annoying - questions I’ve gotten over the last few years is “did you turn that van into a truck [driving my ‘62 DC] or did someone else?” It is usually quickly followed up with “‘cause, if you did, you have excellent metal skills…”

For the most part, it’s the standard what year or how old is it. Hell, I’m had people ask if I made it a truck, then argue with me that VW never made a truck, and I’m too you to know they’re right hahaha.

Another funny one a while back was “you know this is worth $200 grand!” I immediately followed up with, but cooly, “Yes, and I’ll let it go for $100,000 right now, and you can double your money.”

To answer an above question: there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
One of top - and most annoying - questions I’ve gotten over the last few years is “did you turn that van into a truck [driving my ‘62 DC] or did someone else?” It is usually quickly followed up with “‘cause, if you did, you have excellent metal skills….

I get that all the time with my dc. A new one of late is "did you put a subaru motor in it?" I want to say "Does this look like a Vanagon?" Lol.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
One of top - and most annoying - questions I’ve gotten over the last few years is “did you turn that van into a truck [driving my ‘62 DC] or did someone else?” It is usually quickly followed up with “‘cause, if you did, you have excellent metal skills….

I get that all the time with my dc. A new one of late is "did you put a subaru motor in it?" I want to say "Does this look like a Vanagon?" Lol.

Yep. It gets a little more awkward when asked, if they can get in my truck…kids, sure, why not let the little buggers enjoy life before the trappings of adulthood…but, for those adults, can I sit in your Honda Accord or Ford/Chevy whatever with my pleather-sweaty backside haha

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

The question I would get the most with my Logo'd OG paint single cab was "When are you going to paint it?"

As one with more knowledge of a particular subject than the general public, I feel it my responsibility to educate rather than ridicule (Although that is tough sometimes).
I'll extoll the virtues of original paint coupled with hand painted vintage logos and hope they go away better informed.

As others have mentioned, I have been asked if I am the original owner, , if I knew I could put a Porsche engine in it and how many HP it has. As well as being told that VW never made trucks.

One thing I have noticed with my heavily patina'd original paint Konbi is that most people now admire it as a survivor and I havent been asked yet when I'm going to paint it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

People usually call them “bugs” which is pretty funny.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

"Is the engine in the back?"

and the most common comment

"I used to have one. It was a '78"... or some other non-split year.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
People usually call them “bugs” which is pretty funny.

I get that a lot too.
"Did you go camping in the Bug last weekend?"
"No, we only ever camp in the Bus. Never in the Bug."
"Yeah, that's what I said. The Bug with the camper interior."

Just last week, I was asked what year my Bus was (1963). Then they asked how much I paid for it new. I'm a bit shy of 40 still, and obviously some quick math would tell them I would need to be in my 80's to have bought it new. So I clarified if they were asking how much I paid for it, or how much it was brand new. He got mad that he had to repeat the question, because he genuinely wanted to know how much I paid for it in 1963. I told him probably a couple thousand dollars. He was satisfied with the answer, and informed me I could probably sell it for at least what I paid.

I usually try to abort mission on those kinds of conversations. It only serves to frustrate me, and the average person isn't going to gain any knowledge if you try to educate them.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

El Torito in Anaheim Hills before the 2007 Classic. My buddy and I are sitting on the patio with some “refreshments” keeping an eye on his SC in the parking lot loaded with swap stuff. Brian went to the SC to get his phone and some drunk just starts unloading on him about “how could you ruin a deluxe” and did he know how much a deluxe is worth and what an “idiot” he is. Starts to bow up and wants to fight. His buddies have to drag him away. Rolling Eyes

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
El Torito in Anaheim Hills before the 2007 Classic. My buddy and I are sitting on the patio with some “refreshments” keeping an eye on his SC in the parking lot loaded with swap stuff. Brian went to the SC to get his phone and some drunk just starts unloading on him about “how could you ruin a deluxe” and did he know how much a deluxe is worth and what an “idiot” he is. Starts to bow up and wants to fight. His buddies have to drag him away. Rolling Eyes

I can top that-Because I can !
I built a factory five roadster, the 2 seat roadster "Shelby Rocket". It was show and race quality. Lots O Money. Went to a show in HB/surf city. While we were eating with other FF5'ers, two guys were snapping pictures of it-I ignored it at first. Seconds later the bonnet was open and one guy was sitting in the driver seat, again snapping pictures. I went f'n nuts!! As I screamed from afar I was trying to escape over a picket fence and other people enjoying their breakfast, the two started to run from a crazed car owner. I had completely lost it ! They ran up the street and vanished into a store-thank God they vanished as I was feverish w anger. Moral: no one gives a shit about anything but themselves these days.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

To answer an above question: there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Funny, but sadly true today.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Ive been asked a few times if i converted a van into my single cab.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Ive been asked a few times if i converted a van into my single cab.

At least you guys w SC & DC don't have deal w FAKE 21's & 23's
"BTW Nice metal work ! Did a tree hit it?"
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I have been asked several times if I'm going to paint my '59 bus, I usually answer "no, it has plenty of paint on it already".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I got asked "what's that cigar tube hanging out under the bus??" umm you mean the exhaust pipe??
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
I have been asked several times if I'm going to paint my '59 bus, I usually answer "no, it has plenty of paint on it already".

I work with a moron who thinks it makes financial sense to buy a brand new Cadillac Escalade every 2 years. He was always telling me I needed to paint my Bus so it would look good. I finally suggested his Escalade would look 1000x better if we patina'd it. I offered to bring in an orbital sander and my polisher to help get it done. He got the hint and has finally shut up about it. I still print off pictures of rat-look Cadillacs every now and then, and leave them laying around to hopefully inspire him.
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Just this past weekend: "Saab?" as he points to the Bus. At first I was confused that he thought it was indeed a Saab so I responded "no, Volkswagen."

He seemed annoyed with my response. "I meant did you put a Saab motor in it?" Rolling Eyes Oh well.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Where I live Escalades, R Rovers, & Testicles are in Every driveway. Now the new corvette is catching on heavy. I can't sleep at night because I can actually HEAR the depreciation and screaming up & down the streets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: