Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber Carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugsy579
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Weber Carb Reply with quote

Have a 1966 VW Beetle that had a 1500 engine installed when I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt and increased to a 1600 DP engine. the rebuild kit came with a Weber carb. Once it is warmed up after 2 or 3 miles it runs strong. But, it runs terrible while it is warming up. It backfires through the exhaust and is embarrassing driving down the road until it is warmed up. Any suggestions to improve the performance until it is warmed up?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

What type of weber is it as weber makes a lot of different carbs.
A photo also would be very helpful. This way we could offer suggestions.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bugsy579
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have noted the type of Weber carb. It is a 32/36 2 barrel progressive carb. I have the same carb on my MGB and I had problems on it until I took it to a guy who has worked with Webers on Italian cars for 40 years and it got it adjusted tuned properly by adjusting the float and changing some jets and it runs terrifically. Unfortunately he is no longer available. I don't understand why it runs so bad during warmup and runs great when it is at operating temperature. I wonder if it would be possible to put a manual choke on it and if that may solve the problem. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

bugsy579 wrote:
It is a 32/36 2 barrel progressive carb.

I have a Weber 32/36 DGEV on my 1988 Mazda truck and it works well (installed 2005). I haven't read too much positive though about using a Weber progressive on a 1600cc VW engine, but have no first-hand experience.

I installed a Weber (likely 32/36) onto a 1975 Chevy Luv and that worked OK, but that was 4 decades ago.

I do run a Weber 40DCNF on my VW 1835cc DP engine, since 1976.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

bugsy579 wrote:
... it runs so bad during warmup and runs great when it is at operating temperature ...

This is a typical symptom of insufficient intake manifold pre-heating, e.g. clogged. What type of intake manifold preheat do you have; stock muffler, or an aftermarket muffler with typical piss-poor provisions for intake heating?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugsy579
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

I had not thought of that. I do have an aftermarket muffler. Perhaps that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

Good info here Smile

https://www.aircooled.net/making-weber-progressive-dfev-work-aircooled-vw-engine/

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
bugsy579
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Carb Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I have printed it off so I can read through it. Thanks again for the replay and have a great day.

Rod
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: