Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
truckersmike wrote:
Rotary powered 82 done by PO. Can't find any like it.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1945139.jpg[/]

Wow, in my mind you win. That’s something I never expected to see. How does it drive?

-Rob

It probably goes hmmmmmmmmm ........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

My partner and I put some wood trim on the spice rack. Ill take and upload a better picture if anyone wants a better view of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if i was an eagle, i'd dress like a duck
crawl like a lizard and honk like a truck
- Jerome Garcia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
Van Diesel has two OEM factory installed tire carriers (I'm told it's the only known one left in the world but who knows?)

PLEASE PUT GOOGLY EYES ON THESE TIRES!!!
mattfinlayson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Morrison has a self portrait on the rear window. Installed by the PO, at first I was going to remove it, but everyone who's seen it has commented on it, so maybe it's here to stay.

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Recycled truck tire as an air dam.

I like it, have you done a write up on it, how did you do it?
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Quote:
I built this badgless grill and I think it's the 1st thing I did on my doka.
I wanted it to look like a mk1 golf grill.
It's lasted since 2004.

Adjusters and the connectors are still intact and used as normal.
Nobody even notices it. I had to point it out at a VW meet.
The square frame with the round light really bugs me so it had to go.

This is fantastic. That is how the grills should have been from the factory. I have a round headlight grill on my syncro and I am also bugged by the squares. I'd love to see more about how you did this.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
As I look at your picture again (perhaps it's the angle), but does your carrier lock at 90 degree out? My pic where I'm washing my van, they're in the locked out position. I cannot swing them in without pushing a metal unlock mechanism. Just curious now... LOL

No, mine does not lock and was swinging freely until I put a roll pin in to keep the tire from hitting the rear side.
The ways your lock at 90 degrees makes it too confining for my taste!

"my74ghia" had dual tires mounted on the rear back some years ago, but may have pulled one off to save weight

During the last 5-7 yrs. lots of guys were adding the big bumpers and winches and after a while the concensus was that the added weight may have been contributing to transaxle failure. At 5g's a throw to rebuild one it was worth thinking about.
So what followed was adding a cooling system to the gearbox and also some guys removing the extra weight.

Do a search on cooling the Syncro gearbox, because it does make a difference. For example I have 5.83 R&P ratios on My Syncro 16 spinning 225/75-16 tires and without the cooling system the gearbox temps have gotten up to 177 degrees on hot days. With the cooler installed temps are right now in summer 90 degrees ambient I'm seeing 135-140 degrees in my gearbox.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Lutefisk stickers Exclamation
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Robw_z wrote:
truckersmike wrote:
Rotary powered 82 done by PO. Can't find any like it.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1945139.jpg[/]

Wow, in my mind you win. That’s something I never expected to see. How does it drive?

-Rob

It probably goes hmmmmmmmmm ........

Dave

It does go hmmmmmmmm, kind of like a swarm of bees. As far as power goes, it pushes the van pretty well, especially around 3-4k. Just drove it up a very steep and long hill in town and it maintained 30mph at 3k in third. Can't imagine the OG diesel doing that.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

A 35 gallon gas tank and all leather interior. Glamping at its finest.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

where/how did you mount that thing...and how did you pipe/connect it?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

You never know when you are 10 hours from nearest fuel
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Fuel range anxiety

I have it, but not 35 gallons bad. 20 gallons would be a relaxing quantity for me.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Fuel range anxiety

I have it, but not 35 gallons bad. 20 gallons would be a relaxing quantity for me.

Dave

I've driven all across the US, western Canada and Alaska on a stock 40l tank in my split Westy and never ran out of gas before hitting the next station. To be sure, I carried a 20l spare on the roof rack but I only used it once in nowhere Alaska because the gas price was over $5/gallon.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:
I've driven all across the US, western Canada and Alaska on a stock 40l tank in my split Westy and never ran out of gas before hitting the next station. To be sure, I carried a 20l spare on the roof rack but I only used it once in nowhere Alaska because the gas price was over $5/gallon.

...but have you driven off road into the bush country where roads don't exist? Wink
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

At 18k/year, the stock vanagon gas tank has me at the gas station twice a week. On the other hand, when I fill the Yukon's 32 gallon tank I really feel the sting. $150 and the damn thing still isn't full Evil or Very Mad

Hans
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
...but have you driven off road into the bush country where roads don't exist? Wink

Definitely! All over the desert and high mountains of AZ and 5 SST'S. Just a 20l can is all I've ever needed. Recently, i was going to install a bay tank in my split but i abandoned the idea because the benefit wasn't there. Plus, having a spare can on the roof rack looks tuff Smile
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
0cean wrote:

[Pic]

where/how did you mount that thing...and how did you pipe/connect it?

I just updated the build thread to answer your question.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9685898#9685898

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

A PO of my bus put this wing ding in to prevent accidental opening of the top. Have not seen it in any other pictures of pop tops. When I get the gumption to fix the rust on that handle, I will get some good shots of how he built it.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Distintive About Your Vanagon That No One Else Has? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's probably easier to describe what my van still has in common with other vans out there, than its distinctive features. Nearly every mod is custom, rather than a bolt on off the shelf vendor product. I highly doubt there are many other Bluestars out there setup similar to mine...which is probably a good thing for them, since mine looks like shit right now. Seventeen years of sitting outside has taken a toll on the ol brick.

Zeitgeist, back in the mid-first Decade of this century, I purchased an 84 Tin-top (as you know) that also looked like crap as well. I got it for less than $700.00. It's purpose was to be used on long road trips to Alaska after I retired ....and we did make two! The Alaska Highway is brutal as well as the many back and side roads we've traveled. Unfortunately, our dream to do far more long road trips has not come to pass... maybe one more! And, yes, it still looks like crap, but it is capable of making a long road trip (2022 is on the radar).

Something unique about my Tin-top 84.

The pic below is of a Dakota Digital Interface used to "tune" the speed signal from a VW Jetta VSS mounted on the Vanagon Ticker Box. The speed signal from the Interface goes to the Jetta Cluster which is mounted in place of the Vanagon Cluster. The Interface is behind and below the Cluster. The results are extremely good.. about 99.999% accurate! And, of course, the signal keeps the ALH TDI engine on Cruise very steady.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: